Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

On 8/25/2020 at 5:03 AM, Johnny B said:

Going with that theory we need 2 strikers as Hendry is the only natural striker. We have cover at centre back Also he can change the formation. If and I say if he does and it works we have a centre back sitting in the stand. We need midfielders and strikers more that centre backs

Charlie Mulgrew is available. Scored 30 goals in 2 seasons for Blackburn, on loan at Wigan last season. 

No way that Mulgrew would want to come here.

I think Middleton from Rangers on loan would be a possibility, as a back-up winger. I imagine, however, that we will be signing those that have caught Davidson's eye from his time in England, probably on loan.

There are a few who I imagine would like a route out of Hearts who could do ok for us: Olly Lee, Peter Haring, Craig Halkett. However, they might prefer to sit on their higher wages in the Championship.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We wouldn't get close to his wages IMO.

You could say that about  Matty Kennedy, Stevie May,Richard Foster, Drey Wright  Alan Kernaghan too name a few .Its not always just about the money 

I do think your correct on this one though as he will be looking for more than we could afford and like some others above  I don't see a connection or reason to come here,but you never know.

28 minutes ago, Linky said:

No way that Mulgrew would want to come here.

I think Middleton from Rangers on loan would be a possibility, as a back-up winger. I imagine, however, that we will be signing those that have caught Davidson's eye from his time in England, probably on loan.

There are a few who I imagine would like a route out of Hearts who could do ok for us: Olly Lee, Peter Haring, Craig Halkett. However, they might prefer to sit on their higher wages in the Championship.

We're not playing with wingers, why would we sign one, who was by and large anonymous for Hibs on loan?

Lee, Haring and Halkett are probably on £15k a week between them, zero chance we'd even get close to their wages, plus ones average, ones a perma-crock and ones overweight and looked crap last season. 

1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

You could say that about  Matty Kennedy, Stevie May,Richard Foster, Drey Wright  Alan Kernaghan too name a few .Its not always just about the money 

I do think your correct on this one though as he will be looking for more than we could afford and like some others above  I don't see a connection or reason to come here,but you never know.

Budget cuts plus loss of income due to Covid mean this Summer shouldn't be judged alongside others. I highly doubt we'll sign someone who becomes one of rhe highest earners at the club this Summer.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

We're not playing with wingers, why would we sign one, who was by and large anonymous for Hibs on loan?

Lee, Haring and Halkett are probably on £15k a week between them, zero chance we'd even get close to their wages, plus ones average, ones a perma-crock and ones overweight and looked crap last season. 

Because we’re playing with 2 forwards in advanced positions (MOH & Conway), who could do with back-up & we have made similar signings recently (Ralston & Holt, for example).

14 hours ago, Widge said:

I did see a piece last week that hearts wage bill was £8 million. Ann Budge has now decided that her contract negotiations were flawed and that instead of paying high basics and no bonuses she should be paying lower basics and higher bonuses. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Budget cuts plus loss of income due to Covid mean this Summer shouldn't be judged alongside others. I highly doubt we'll sign someone who becomes one of rhe highest earners at the club this Summer.

I don't actually think the loss of crowds for Saints games is as big a loss to us as they are to other clubs. We have still received the full season ticket money, we have reduced the salary bill by furloughing nearly all staff for 6 months, we have significantly increased TV payments. The biggest loss to Saints will be from the closure of the stadium and the income from conferences/restaurants etc.  

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I don't actually think the loss of crowds for Saints games is as big a loss to us as they are to other clubs. We have still received the full season ticket money, we have reduced the salary bill by furloughing nearly all staff for 6 months, we have significantly increased TV payments. The biggest loss to Saints will be from the closure of the stadium and the income from conferences/restaurants etc.  

Also, I would imagine the wage bill will be reduced from last season too. Lower squad size, higher earners like Swanson and Wright away (albeit, we may be paying Conway a decent amount) and likely Kane and Craig on reduced terms.

The extra c£100k from getting 6th place will have helped.

On the extra tv money, we wont be getting a much as we should have. League had to compensate BT sport for lost games and Sky effectively clawing theirs back via the current deal.

I suspect we will be pretty much loans for any players coming in. Rangers in particular seem to be getting creative on loaning out players with deals to follow and I wonder if some English clubs may follow suit. Could be some decent players available for less wages than would have been last season. 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Isn't it the case, though, that Saints make a much higher proportion of their income from the stadium facilities than most other clubs do? I'm sure that's something the Browns have spoken about in the past. So it could be the case that the stadium closure is more damaging to us than it is to other clubs. But yeah I agree that the loss of crowds shouldn't be as big an issue for Saints as it is to clubs who are used to getting big attendances.

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Isn't it the case, though, that Saints make a much higher proportion of their income from the stadium facilities than most other clubs do? I'm sure that's something the Browns have spoken about in the past. So it could be the case that the stadium closure is more damaging to us than it is to other clubs. But yeah I agree that the loss of crowds shouldn't be as big an issue for Saints as it is to clubs who are used to getting big attendances.

The likes of SSE put 6 figure sums into saints a year to use the conference facilities. That's just one company, whilst I suspect they're the biggest, there will be plenty of others who use it. Plus the function suites for events and wakes, etc. We'll not be making a lot on those right now, this is possibly offset by virtue of their being a skeleton staff at the stadium and little or no overheads. Once the furlough scheme ends, suspect saints will be looking at making the conference suites totally compliant with social distancing guidance to allow them to be used.

Positive is, now that outdoor football is allowed, people might start using the astro turf pitch again. Don't know if saints will want that though given the slight risks involved.

Stating the obvious, but mind it’s not the lost income that’s important, it’s the lost profit on that income, which will be rather a lot smaller. And that would only have been used to offset losses on the football side. You can achieve the same thing by not making losses on the football side. I know that’s over-simplistic, but Saints run a very lean football side, have small crowds anyway, and cash in the bank. I think we are probably one of the best-placed medium to large clubs to come out of this relatively ok. 

The crunch time as Widge says is the end of furlough. Do Saints start to pay people, in the hope that enough non-football income generation can resume, or do they let all those poor folk go, and hunker down as just a slimmed-down football team?

i think in the coming months we might be even more grateful to have a hard-nosed businessman with crap communication skills running things, rather than a fan with the gift of the gab. 

Others will disagree.

13 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Stating the obvious, but mind it’s not the lost income that’s important, it’s the lost profit on that income, which will be rather a lot smaller. And that would only have been used to offset losses on the football side. You can achieve the same thing by not making losses on the football side. I know that’s over-simplistic, but Saints run a very lean football side, have small crowds anyway, and cash in the bank. I think we are probably one of the best-placed medium to large clubs to come out of this relatively ok. 

The crunch time as Widge says is the end of furlough. Do Saints start to pay people, in the hope that enough non-football income generation can resume, or do they let all those poor folk go, and hunker down as just a slimmed-down football team?

i think in the coming months we might be even more grateful to have a hard-nosed businessman with crap communication skills running things, rather than a fan with the gift of the gab. 

Others will disagree.

Bang on. Post furlough, things become tougher. Costs go up massively and if no extra inCome, jobs will have to go. 

40 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Others will disagree.

I never disagree with you:razz: