Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

13 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Don't agree with the Bryson signing at all. Missed the vast majority of the past 2 years with recurring ankle knocks, and he admitted himself just 3 months ago that despite operations and injections the issue wasn't gone.

Makes zero sense to sign him.

I think more than anything it demonstrates just how difficult it is to sign players when you're the Saints manager. So far Davidson has only been able to sign players who are either very young and looking for experience on loan, or guys like Conway and seemingly now Bryson whose best days are well behind them. 

Tommy found it really difficult to sign players too - I don't think there's much reason to think Davidson will find it any easier, given that he has a lot less experience and what seems to be a vastly reduced budget.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think more than anything it demonstrates just how difficult it is to sign players when you're the Saints manager. So far Davidson has only been able to sign players who are either very young and looking for experience on loan, or guys like Conway and seemingly now Bryson whose best days are well behind them. 

Tommy found it really difficult to sign players too - I don't think there's much reason to think Davidson will find it any easier, given that he has a lot less experience and what seems to be a vastly reduced budget.

I suppose Bryson is the type of player Saints can get & sometimes it works out . Hope this is one of them & he proves some of us wrong. If we get the player that was just 50% of what he was as Killie & Derby he will probably be a decent signing.

Part of me sees the logic in this with the covid situation on going, the club won't want to offer out multi year contracts and will want to keep the wages down. So we aren't going to be able to get the players from down South who may be out of contract etc.

The other side of me looks at the likes of Conway and this signing and thinks it is very much like the Clark era (Falconer etc) and we know how that ended.

Hopefully everyone remains fit and it won't be much of an issue....if we get a few covid cases though...then the squad is going to look pretty horrible.

16 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Part of me sees the logic in this with the covid situation on going, the club won't want to offer out multi year contracts and will want to keep the wages down. So we aren't going to be able to get the players from down South who may be out of contract etc.

The other side of me looks at the likes of Conway and this signing and thinks it is very much like the Clark era (Falconer etc) and we know how that ended.

That's pretty much how I feel. I'm not delighted with the approach to signings so far, but I do think we have to take the circumstances into account and it's hard to tell how much is Davidson's actual strategy and how much is a result of his hands being tied. I'd probably rather see us bring in a couple of extra players on loan, than guys who are at the very ends of their careers and have had injury problems, but I guess it's all about balance.

This season is just about getting through it, whilst staying afloat, considering the season could be delayed multiple times or even cancelled. Therefore, I'm not too bothered that we're signing players on loan or 1 year deals. If by next Summer Covid has disappeared, we can wave the likes of Bryson & Conway goodbye, thank them for helping us through a tricky season and start to assess the budget properly and sign players for the future.

Perhaps the worrying thing is we have waited this long for this.  Part of the wait I thought was for the English market to open up and some potential gems to be available.  I find it hard to think there is not a 23 to 25 year old who is just as good if not better that would be a better investment 

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I refuse to believe Bryson is going to be cheaper than Jason Holt, for an example. One is entering his prime with no injury issues, the other is 34 this season with recurring ankle injuries.

We've ended up with Bryson instead of Holt because there was almost no future planning in place this Summer. TW left, and the whole club shut down until Davidson was hired months later. We then have to wait further months for him to find and identify targets, and then move on them.

It seems obvious both the club and Davidson knew he would take charge after Millwalls season was done, surely they shouldve been putting moves into motion before he even joined for players?

Its a common theme with Saints, and one that is leading to a general decline. The youth products are supporting the club.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I refuse to believe Bryson is going to be cheaper than Jason Holt, for an example. One is entering his prime with no injury issues, the other is 34 this season with recurring ankle injuries.

We've ended up with Bryson instead of Holt because there was almost no future planning in place this Summer. TW left, and the whole club shut down until Davidson was hired months later. We then have to wait further months for him to find and identify targets, and then move on them.

It seems obvious both the club and Davidson knew he would take charge after Millwalls season was done, surely they shouldve been putting moves into motion before he even joined for players?

Its a common theme with Saints, and one that is leading to a general decline. The youth products are supporting the club.

I'm not so sure. Do you not think Bryson's maybe happy enough to play some games and keep earning some money. He's had a lot of seasons earning a chunk of money in the championship. Holt would never have been earning anything like the money Bryson would have been on for the last 6/8 years.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Bryson/Aberdeen worked out a deal that he still got a fair bit of money for terminating his contract....meaning he doesn't need to find a high earning contract now. Bit like when we got Danny from Hibs a few years ago.

To be honest, there's not that many clubs he could play for...given his personal situation and Scottish football as a whole.

I would be quite happy if him and Byrne signed. Either could sit in that midfield area which means that Ali could move upfield a bit.