Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

Callum says he wants to bring in a player but 1 will have to leave. Courier saying we need a striker.

We had 3 strikers on the bench on Saturday.

If its one in one out do we have 9 for the bench. Is Sinclair or Parish any good,outfield ?.

I can see ,if we have injuries & suspensions we might just have 3 on the bench ,all strikers.

I know its Kirsten/Browns limitations but you have to get the balance of the squad right.

We now have 4 old guys in the squad who will not play 2 games a week & avoid injury or if you are Liam & Muzz, suspension.

I'm concerned about the plan to sign a striker. It looks like we're making changes in the wrong place, rather than fitting the system to the players we have, we're bringing in players in the hope that they'll fit with the system. In a recent interview Davidson said "we're doing the right things" by putting crosses into the box. I imagine the plan is to sign someone who he thinks can score from all these crosses, despite playing essentially on their own in the box. I feel for May, who was starting to regain some form at the end of last season, and has been put on the bench, essentially because he's not the sort of striker that's required. I'm imagining the imminent signing of a John Sutton-esque player: tall, 30+, has scored a few goals in the English lower leagues

1 hour ago, Linky said:

I'm concerned about the plan to sign a striker. It looks like we're making changes in the wrong place, rather than fitting the system to the players we have, we're bringing in players in the hope that they'll fit with the system. In a recent interview Davidson said "we're doing the right things" by putting crosses into the box. I imagine the plan is to sign someone who he thinks can score from all these crosses, despite playing essentially on their own in the box. I feel for May, who was starting to regain some form at the end of last season, and has been put on the bench, essentially because he's not the sort of striker that's required. I'm imagining the imminent signing of a John Sutton-esque player: tall, 30+, has scored a few goals in the English lower leagues

May was injured, and only just getting back to fitness, thats why he was on bench. 

3 hours ago, Linky said:

Pretty much agree. I'm not convinced we need another striker. We have loads of strikers. We're just not playing a game that suits them. Plus, he's already signed one striker who barely ever gets a chance.

I'd also question ... if our key tactic for scoring goals is to hit crosses into the box, why have we adopted a formation that doesn't use wingers?

36 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

May was injured, and only just getting back to fitness, thats why he was on bench. 

I'm not sure Davidson's tactic is to throw crosses into the box for May to get on the end of. He doesn't fit into the system - this is my point. The system should fit around him, as he is potentially such a key player.

2 hours ago, Linky said:

Just my opinion but I feel we need a big unit in the middle to win headers to knock down for May. We get bullied by all the big centre backs who more or less win every header. The ball never falls for our strikers as a result, so we need our own big forward to compete with them.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Pretty much agree. I'm not convinced we need another striker. We have loads of strikers. We're just not playing a game that suits them. Plus, he's already signed one striker who barely ever gets a chance.

I'd also question ... if our key tactic for scoring goals is to hit crosses into the box, why have we adopted a formation that doesn't use wingers?

100%.

3 hours ago, akuram said:

Just my opinion but I feel we need a big unit in the middle to win headers to knock down for May. We get bullied by all the big centre backs who more or less win every header. The ball never falls for our strikers as a result, so we need our own big forward to compete with them.

Completely agree