Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

6 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Nadir Ciftci anyone?

- 40 goals in Scottish football

- Only 28 years old

- Can play anywhere in a front 3

- 6ft 3”

You think a transfer window thats going to end with us having the smallest squad in the division, and thats seen us sign 2 kids on loan, a broken down 34yo CM who's virtually on pay as you play deal, and an ageing winger who desperate to end his career in Scotland after a season in Englands 4th tier, will also see us sign a striker who would comfortably be one of the highest earners at the club?

Neither Ciftci or Stokes is remotely realistic, especially now there's a real chance we go a full season without fans at grounds.

11 hours ago, Linky said:

I'm not sure Davidson's tactic is to throw crosses into the box for May to get on the end of. He doesn't fit into the system - this is my point. The system should fit around him, as he is potentially such a key player.

His goal this season did come from a cross into the box.

Given the latest Covid developments and the increasing likelihood that we may end up having to go for the entire season without any sort of crowds, is anyone else of the opinion that we shouldn't be signing anyone at all? I just don't see how we can justify it, and I think Davidson should be making do with the squad he has. The players we have are good enough and it's time to start getting the best out of them.

37 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Given the latest Covid developments and the increasing likelihood that we may end up having to go for the entire season without any sort of crowds, is anyone else of the opinion that we shouldn't be signing anyone at all? I just don't see how we can justify it, and I think Davidson should be making do with the squad he has. The players we have are good enough and it's time to start getting the best out of them.

Whilst I agree and it's clear we're probably running with the smallest squad in the league this year, bar maybe Hamilton you also have to weight up the benefit of staying in the league and the prize money on offer. 

We let a lot of players go and we've clearly cut our wage bill by quite a but this season, I'd say there's probably a budget been set taking into account no fans at all (lets face it we always budget worst case and that was definitely it!), so if there's room for 1 more player then I think we can all rest assured we can afford it, plus Brown will have signed it off. I agree we have good enough players, our starting XI is more than a match and better than quite a number of the bottom 10 teams; however you only need to see that if we get a few injuries we're in trouble as our early season benches showed.

One more player isn't going to kill the club off and if it's the difference in staying up or being top 6, then better hope Callum makes the most of his one chance!

12 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

You think a transfer window thats going to end with us having the smallest squad in the division, and thats seen us sign 2 kids on loan, a broken down 34yo CM who's virtually on pay as you play deal, and an ageing winger who desperate to end his career in Scotland after a season in Englands 4th tier, will also see us sign a striker who would comfortably be one of the highest earners at the club?

Neither Ciftci or Stokes is remotely realistic, especially now there's a real chance we go a full season without fans at grounds.

Where did you see he was ona pay as you play contract? I think if that was what he was offered then he would have gone to East Kilbride or one of these clubs that appear to be throwing money at part time players. 

1 hour ago, akuram said:

If we don’t start scoring we will be in big trouble. A scoring striker is a must.

Where do we find a regular goalscorer, who's free, who nobody else in the league wants, who we can afford, when we've got no money to spend?

Hendry and May both oveperformed in terms of goals last season. Folk are completely over reacting to a few games without goals. We'll concede 2 goals in a game at some point and folk will be on here demanding a "physical, dominant CH" be signed immediately, I guess.

44 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Where did you see he was ona pay as you play contract? I think if that was what he was offered then he would have gone to East Kilbride or one of these clubs that appear to be throwing money at part time players. 

Rumour is hes on a basic wage topped up with hefty appearance bonuses. Aberdeen fans believe he was the same there.

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Where do we find a regular goalscorer, who's free, who nobody else in the league wants, who we can afford, when we've got no money to spend?

Exactly - we can't just say 'this isn't working, sign more players'. The quality just isn't out there at this short notice. We have 2 good strikers and 2 who are decent back-ups, we need to be using them properly. 

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Given the present financial situation I think we have to hold back on signings & should have kept the young guys we loaned out who may be better than what we can afford on the transfer market or wages.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Rumour is hes on a basic wage topped up with hefty appearance bonuses. Aberdeen fans believe he was the same there.

With respect that is a good bit different from what you stated above: "a broken down 34yo CM who's virtually on pay as you play deal," 

Rumours are rumours. 

Last thing we need is more strikers....I believe the ones we have are perfectly capable of scoring, as they have shown before, they just need to get sharper. Perhaps we need more creative players/creativity in how we open them up and create develop for them in final 3rd. 

CD just needs to get these players believing and fighting, like TW could, i feel we lack a bit of passion. His performance more than anything should be the most closely watched. He still seems to be pushing/communicating positive energy with the players, after each recent loss, which is fine for now. Need to see how the next few games play out and how he and the players respond.

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

In the courier,Davidson's budget cut as fans stay locked out.

Does that mean no more signings & Craig,Kane & Booth away in January ?.

A lot of clubs will be in trouble if this shutout lasts past Christmas.

Totally agree with the club's position on this. Saints need to make sure they're able to look after their existing staff as a priority. Bringing in more people at the moment would be irresponsible. I don't want to see us following the lead of clubs like Dundee and Hibs - pressuring their existing players into taking pay cuts, then bragging about making new signings.

I wudl imagine they will be looking at both the playing and the backroom staff. Think last season we had 2 coaches, sports scientist, kitman, assistant kitman at least 2 physios. and a part time doc plus the set up for under 18s.  

I know Graeme robertson the kitman is now away not sure on the others. 

Did notice on twitter that Rangers had made one of their girls redundant, so they must obviously be looking at costs aswell. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I wudl imagine they will be looking at both the playing and the backroom staff. Think last season we had 2 coaches, sports scientist, kitman, assistant kitman at least 2 physios. and a part time doc plus the set up for under 18s.  

I know Graeme robertson the kitman is now away not sure on the others. 

Did notice on twitter that Rangers had made one of their girls redundant, so they must obviously be looking at costs aswell. 

One of their girls? Fat Sally??