Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

Part of me thinks we should take a year off from loaning players out. We're more likely to need them this season - particular someone like Wallace Duffy, who suddenly becomes quite an important player to have if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions in defence. Completely get the argument that stopping players from going out might hamper their development in the long-term, though.

Did Tanto get a go yesterday. Dont know why he's not getting a chance. We seem to have had a couple of strikers on loan in the past couple of seasons that are barely getting any chance. How can they do any worse, our strikers arent scoring and we've not had a consistent goalscorer since May first time around. Time to give some others the opportunity. We need someone thats hungry to make an impact.

Edited by Rob

21 hours ago, Cagey said:

Inverness said to be interested in Duffy. I assume he is from Glasgow so if he didn't fancy 10 miles along the road to Morton ,can't see him fancying Inverness.

No one said it was anything about travelling, did they??

Just personal reason. So could hage been anything. Said at the time we may never find out.and neither we should if its personal. 

On 9/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, Rob said:

Did Tanto get a go yesterday. Dont know why he's not getting a chance. We seem to have had a couple of strikers on loan in the past couple of seasons that are barely getting any chance. How can they do any worse, our strikers arent scoring and we've not had a consistent goalscorer since May first time around. Time to give some others the opportunity. We need someone thats hungry to make an impact.

Too true.

Everyone keeps asking why we signed Olaofe. I’m beginning to wonder whether Davidson wanted McNamara and Olaofe was part of the deal. They didn’t want McNamara coming up on his own, so someone else was needed to help him settle in.

Honestly, I don’t expect us to sign anyone else, apart from on loan. As we get towards the end of the transfer window, I wonder if Celtic or Rangers will be desperate to send players out on loan for a fraction of their wages (that’s how we got Holt). 

Given the Covid situation, this isn’t surprising. However, I’m amazed that other clubs have signed so many players. St. Mirren have really improved their squad, Killie have signed a few decent players. We are left behind. That might be the most sensible thing in the end. I’ve realised how little I now expect from our transfer policy: we needed a central defender, Shaunessey was free. The first thing I thought was, we couldn’t afford him, but St. Mirren could.

12 hours ago, Linky said:

Given the Covid situation, this isn’t surprising. However, I’m amazed that other clubs have signed so many players. St. Mirren have really improved their squad, Killie have signed a few decent players. We are left behind. That might be the most sensible thing in the end. I’ve realised how little I now expect from our transfer policy: we needed a central defender, Shaunessey was free. The first thing I thought was, we couldn’t afford him, but St. Mirren could.

Let's not forget that a lot of these clubs around us who have been strengthening their squads were also asking their players to take pay cuts not so long ago. Hibs stand out a lot in that regard. And of course Dundee, who threatened to sack players who didn't agree to a pay cut, have somehow found the money to sign Charlie Adam. Saints, on the other hand, went down the route of honouring the contracts of existing players and making sure they got paid. We even gave short-term contracts to Booth, Craig and Kane rather than cut them loose to reduce the wage bill.

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Let's not forget that a lot of these clubs around us who have been strengthening their squads were also asking their players to take pay cuts not so long ago. Hibs stand out a lot in that regard. And of course Dundee, who threatened to sack players who didn't agree to a pay cut, have somehow found the money to sign Charlie Adam. Saints, on the other hand, went down the route of honouring the contracts of existing players and making sure they got paid. We even gave short-term contracts to Booth, Craig and Kane rather than cut them loose to reduce the wage bill.

Yes, I agree. I'm not saying we should be acting like them. We don't know the financial situation at all, but there might be a middle line between the budget we have set and irresponsible spending. However, if football shuts down again, and the OF and us are the only teams left standing, then Brown may have been right all along!

22 hours ago, Linky said:

Yes, I agree. I'm not saying we should be acting like them. We don't know the financial situation at all, but there might be a middle line between the budget we have set and irresponsible spending. However, if football shuts down again, and the OF and us are the only teams left standing, then Brown may have been right all along!

Hey, does that mean we finish third and get Europe every year?

On 9/29/2020 at 10:14 AM, tucker said:

Hopefully with Duffy going might get a player in

Not sure what we save by loaning out players. Can't see the loán clubs , especially 2nd division being able to afford even half these guys wages..

There is a chance these guys might have done a better job than anyone brought in.