Melbourne Saint

Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Recommended Posts

Playing 3 at the back! Then we still need a 4th Centre Back. A serious injury to one of our 3 and that formation is out the window.. I would not trust Booth or Duffy in a back 3 for a sustained period of time.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've seen of Booth I wouldn't have any issue with him playing on the left-hand side of a back three if required.

I think it's inevitable that we're going to end up with a tighter squad than usual, and in those circumstances we're going to need players to be willing and able to play outside their ideal positions from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Another easy bet to score against us next season, Shaughnessy signed for St Mirren.

He’ll try like an absolute bear against us. I remember him really upping his game against Aberdeen.

I liked him at us but always thought he was very well supported by the players around him.

I think seeing guys like Joe lining up for St.Mirren, Drey for Hibs and Matty for Aberdeen is something we are going to have to get used to over the next few years as clubs try to copy the Saints model ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Linky said:

Signing Lee Ashcroft apparently. Not sure about this one: a 26 year-old just been released from the Championship to surely sit on the bench behind Kerr, McCart & Gordon. 

Exactly what he’ll be signed for, I imagine. If Callum is opting to go primarily with a backline of five, we have no real back-up option for those three central defenders. With all due respect to Duffy, I think a loan spell at a lower-league club may benefit him at this moment in time. In which case, I think it’s a sensible move to bring someone like Ashcroft in.

Edited by The Real Saints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with signing a centre-back, I just think that if someone is signed as back-up it's better to be a younger player who can be developed (21/22), even if they're not so strong at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Exactly what he’ll be signed for, I imagine. If Callum is opting to go primarily with a backline of five, we have no real back-up option for those three central defenders. With all due respect to Duffy, I think a loan spell at a lower-league club may benefit him at this moment in time. In which case, I think it’s a sensible move to bring someone like Ashcroft in.

He’s just signed for Dundee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

Just signed for Dundee 

Maybe Callum was just giving him training facilities. If Dundee are paying more than us then it is just one more nail in their financial coffin.

Anyway I am not worried about our defence cover but we need a central midfielder & hope Callum is working on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Linky said:

Well, that was the shortest transfer rumour ever.

Was it just agent talk that Saints and Partick were interested so that Dundee concluded the deal without trying to reduce his wages.

Bit of a smack in the mouth for their players who had to have wages cut and to me ethically wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, belfastsaintee said:

Saints talking to Charles Dunne, previously centre back at Motherwell.

Not sure why we are looking at another centre half. I think we are well covered at the back. Rooney & Booth can cover if we have a run of injury or suspension.

Maybe we are losing Kerr or there is an injury we are not aware of.

I am more worried about midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Not sure why we are looking at another centre half. I think we are well covered at the back. Rooney & Booth can cover if we have a run of injury or suspension.

Maybe we are losing Kerr or there is an injury we are not aware of.

I am more worried about midfield.

As far as i can see Rooney has never once played CB in his entire career.

Swap Duffy for a more experienced CB and you're grand.

Fwiw I'm sure Dunne signed a new deal with Motherwell to take him into January

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

As far as i can see Rooney has never once played CB in his entire career.

Swap Duffy for a more experienced CB and you're grand.

Fwiw I'm sure Dunne signed a new deal with Motherwell to take him into January

Why would you swap Duffy?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're looking at back-up centre backs:

Stephen Hendrie - classic Saints signing who could re-ignite his career - lots of injuries

Alan Lithgow

Peter Hartley

Marcus Fraser

Depends what wage they are asking for. Reports say Davidson is looking at the English market more than up here. I still think Slyvka could be good in midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Linky said:

If we're looking at back-up centre backs:

Stephen Hendrie - classic Saints signing who could re-ignite his career - lots of injuries

Alan Lithgow

Peter Hartley

Marcus Fraser

Depends what wage they are asking for. Reports say Davidson is looking at the English market more than up here. I still think Slyvka could be good in midfield.

Stephen Hendrie is a left back who's not good enough to play in this league and is injured half the time.

Alan Lithgow hasn't played for 6/7 months due to injury and is at an age where it's unlikely he'll get fit enough for the top flight again.

Peter Hartley is being released by Motherwell as he is no longer able to play at this level, he's too slow on the turn and again has had injury problems. 

Marcus Fraser would be decent back up, but he's just been let go as club captain of a top flight team and there's no way he wouldn't want to be a starter on a first team wage, which we are not looking for.

Slivka is decent, but he was on a big wage at Hibs by virtue of being a full internationalist, plus joining from Juventus. He doesn't add anything to a team though and on the wage he'd want, he'd be a Lithuanian Gary MacDonald.

I personally wouldn't want any of these players, we'll be looking at guys from the Championship, etc. now that it's finished. Hopefully Davidson has kept an eye on the under 21 league at that level, or guys who were out on loan. With the new wage caps coming into place, we might be in a position to compete now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Widge said:

Stephen Hendrie is a left back who's not good enough to play in this league and is injured half the time.

Alan Lithgow hasn't played for 6/7 months due to injury and is at an age where it's unlikely he'll get fit enough for the top flight again.

Peter Hartley is being released by Motherwell as he is no longer able to play at this level, he's too slow on the turn and again has had injury problems. 

Marcus Fraser would be decent back up, but he's just been let go as club captain of a top flight team and there's no way he wouldn't want to be a starter on a first team wage, which we are not looking for.

Slivka is decent, but he was on a big wage at Hibs by virtue of being a full internationalist, plus joining from Juventus. He doesn't add anything to a team though and on the wage he'd want, he'd be a Lithuanian Gary MacDonald.

I personally wouldn't want any of these players, we'll be looking at guys from the Championship, etc. now that it's finished. Hopefully Davidson has kept an eye on the under 21 league at that level, or guys who were out on loan. With the new wage caps coming into place, we might be in a position to compete now. 

Accurate summing up IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...