Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Melbourne Saint

21 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Its not, at all. Its frankly moronic to be comparing Saints strikers, who maybe get 2 shots a match, to a Celtic striker who's getting 5 or 6, on "goals per minute".

If that were the case then every striker we've ever had is absolutely shit and not good enough.

Apologies,  didn't read the goals per minute thing properly.  Rightly or wrongly though the media will compare players who play in the same league.  I was actually agreeing with you about May's performances in the rest of my post. Stevie is doing a good job for the team,  but shouldn't be judged purely on goals these days. 

37 minutes ago, jhq said:

Apologies,  didn't read the goals per minute thing properly.  Rightly or wrongly though the media will compare players who play in the same league.  I was actually agreeing with you about May's performances in the rest of my post. Stevie is doing a good job for the team,  but shouldn't be judged purely on goals these days. 

In fairness to you, if Stevie May's numbers were better than the Celtic striker's, you can bet we'd all be comparing them.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

With Tanser maybe going to OF in January ,hopefully Callum can get Booth signed up & is on the lookout for replacement  left wingback.

Just out of interest, where's all this "Tànser to OF in January" come from? Most posters on here seem to think he's a liability & not unhappy if he's not in the XI. Is it just bored journo reporting, or do they see something we don't. No comprendez.....

• 1 month later...

Middleton a winger (we play with wingbacks) do not see what he will bring. Last season on loan at Hibs and Bradford. He had 6 league appearances for Hibs. Only 3 appearances for Bradford, he could not get a regular place in an English Div2 team. No trace of him playing anywhere this season. Money could be better spent. Are getting him for nothing and using him on an emergency but how do we get him up to match speed. He does not improve the team. 

Edited by Johnny B

13 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Middleton a winger (we play with wingbacks) do not see what he will bring. Last season on loan at Hibs and Bradford. He had 6 league appearances for Hibs. Only 3 appearances for Bradford, he could not get a regular place in an English Div2 team. No trace of him playing anywhere this season. Money could be better spent. Are getting him for nothing and using him on an emergency but how do we get him up to match speed. He does not improve the team. 

I doubt we're paying much for him. I expect Rangers just want to get him some game time, perhaps with the hope that someone might be willing to take him off their hands permanently if he does ok.

22 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Can't comment on whether he's any good as I'd barely heard of him until now, but if he's a winger I'd have thought he'd be coming in to play the position Conway/Wotherspoon play when we use a front 3?

How many senior games had Michael O'Halloran played at 21? 

Presumably we wouldn't be signing him in 13/14 because we had wingers and he couldn't get a game for Bolton?

It feels like Davidson has now given up on O'Halloran, so we need a winger with pace who can play on both sides. Middleton can do that, and has also played wing back for Rangers/Scotland U21s/Bradford. I'd be surprised if we were paying much for him on loan.

If Middleton is a success and we want to sign him. The asking price may be too much. I assume the only reason Rangers have not released him is his salary and the 2.5 years worth of compensation they would have to pay. I suppose the best we could expect is a loan again next season. If not we will need to find a replacement for him and MOH

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

If Middleton is a success and we want to sign him. The asking price may be too much. I assume the only reason Rangers have not released him is his salary and the 2.5 years worth of compensation they would have to pay. I suppose the best we could expect is a loan again next season. If not we will need to find a replacement for him and MOH

If he does well he will still not get in Rangers team but will come to the notice of other teams who could offer better terms than us.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

I'm not sure. If he does really well - they'll want him back, or some other team will want him. If he fits in ok, finds a home and feels that a few seasons here will benefit his career, then I think they'd be willing to let him go.

I agree that the manager has run out of patience with MOH and Hendry. I think ill-discipline on the field has been a problem for both of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Callum Davidson in the paper today saying that his priority now is to get “most of his squad” tied down to new contracts. I really hope that doesn’t mean he is aiming to offer all out of contract players a new deal.

Despite some of the utter rubbish on here about Bryson on a pay as you play deal or Conway’s contract mainly being made up with bonuses it’s just not true. Both are closer to the highest earners(Clark, Kerr, May etc) than the they are to the lowest(Parish, McCart, Kane).

We need to get high earners like Conway, Bryson and O’Halloran off the wage bill rather than keeping them on as squad players when their contribution is diminishing by the week. I’d far rather take a punt on Middleton and Gilmour.

2D5968A5-C1AA-45B0-91A7-83999209748B.jpeg

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

With Tommy Wright being installed as Kilmarnock manager, it has perhaps sharpened minds when it comes to members of our squad that we should resign as a matter of urgency and equally perhaps players we should offload to free up wages to offer some of said players a contract adequate enough for them to sign. This is the list of players who can leave in the summer. I have put them in order of top(ish) earners to cheap options(ish):

Stevie May

Craig Bryson

Craig Conway

Michael O’Halloran

Murray Davidson

Callum Booth

Guy Melamed

Scott Tanser

Chris Kane

Charlie Gilmour

Liam Craig 

Elliot Parish

23 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

With Tommy Wright being installed as Kilmarnock manager, it has perhaps sharpened minds when it comes to members of our squad that we should resign as a matter of urgency and equally perhaps players we should offload to free up wages to offer some of said players a contract adequate enough for them to sign. This is the list of players who can leave in the summer. I have put them in order of top(ish) earners to cheap options(ish):

Stevie May

Craig Bryson

Craig Conway

Michael O’Halloran

Murray Davidson

Callum Booth

Guy Melamed

Scott Tanser

Chris Kane

Charlie Gilmour

Liam Craig 

Elliot Parish

Simple question 

How do you know who earns what!Genuine question 

Guess or inside information 

I know this is something the club don't divulge 

You could probably guess from the accounts but thats all it would be 

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Stevie May

Craig Bryson

Craig Conway

Michael O’Halloran

Murray Davidson

Callum Booth

Guy Melamed

Scott Tanser

Chris Kane

Charlie Gilmour

Liam Craig 

Elliot Parish

The top 4 & Parish can go & hope we re sign the rest.

1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Simple question 

How do you know who earns what!Genuine question 

Guess or inside information 

I know this is something the club don't divulge 

You could probably guess from the accounts but thats all it would be 

Sorry I really think folk are just guessing or going by the number of folk in the country that seem to know what footballers earn there must be more leaks in football clubs than a sieve. 

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Stevie May

Craig Bryson

Craig Conway

Michael O’Halloran

Murray Davidson

Callum Booth

Guy Melamed

Scott Tanser

Chris Kane

Charlie Gilmour

Liam Craig 

Elliot Parish

I'd probably be offering something to the vast majority of those players. As others have said, I guess Bryson could be replaced by Gilmour (if he does well), but looking at the other older players I reckon Conway and Craig might get offered another year. I don't see much point in getting rid of Parish unless CD is planning on looking for a new number 1. The toughest call of the lot is possibly MOH. I suspect he'll probably get decent offers from elsewhere and that Saints wouldn't put up a massive fight to hold onto him.