Wage Bill

Saintdunc

6 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Cash in bank when Steve became Chairman in 2011 was £1,095,904.

2012, £1.610m, 13, £1.304, 14, £1.266, 15, £2.072, 16, £2.066, 17, £2.652, 18, £1.979, 19, £ 2.170m

Cash in bank is only 1 measurement but it does show a very healthy position over a sustained period. 

The only person responsible for player spending is Steve Brown. All signings approved by him so any overspend has to be down to his financial mismanagement. 

All major infrastructure projects have been completed, we have some very valuable playing staff and next year's turnover should be significantly up with increases prize money and return of at least 1 Dundee club. 

I have banged on about lack of communication from our Chairman, what I should have been advocating is a lack of upbeat, forward thinking, even happy messages none of which he seems capable off. 

We have too many playing passengers and that needs sorting but that will sort itself at the end of this season. 

Most other Spfl clubs would die for our financial position. 

Theres lots to look forward to as a saints fan. I just wish our Chairman would do the same. 

Agreed chief.

8 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Cash in bank when Steve became Chairman in 2011 was £1,095,904.

2012, £1.610m, 13, £1.304, 14, £1.266, 15, £2.072, 16, £2.066, 17, £2.652, 18, £1.979, 19, £ 2.170m

Cash in bank is only 1 measurement but it does show a very healthy position over a sustained period. 

The only person responsible for player spending is Steve Brown. All signings approved by him so any overspend has to be down to his financial mismanagement. 

All major infrastructure projects have been completed, we have some very valuable playing staff and next year's turnover should be significantly up with increases prize money and return of at least 1 Dundee club. 

I have banged on about lack of communication from our Chairman, what I should have been advocating is a lack of upbeat, forward thinking, even happy messages none of which he seems capable off. 

We have too many playing passengers and that needs sorting but that will sort itself at the end of this season. 

Most other Spfl clubs would die for our financial position. 

Theres lots to look forward to as a saints fan. I just wish our Chairman would do the same. 

I think Brown might just be a bit dour as a man, and his press comments are to play down, and to plead poverty AND I think he is just being 100% honest and realistic.

He is right - In today's climate, who is going to levy £2m against a sponsorship that won't pay back.

He is right to say - it's a 24 hour job, and he's not up for it given the risks involved, that he has other businesses that are "easier".

He is being very honest. I think if he was not that sober in thinking and his comments we'd be Dundee in a heartbeat!

As the poster above says: Theres lots to look forward to as a saints fan. Thank you to the Brown's for focusing their LIFE on the business we ALL get so much from. 

At the end of the day who cares, I wouldn’t stay away from watching my team just because the Chairman was a Victor Meldrew. Folk will always find an excuse not to support their local team, it’s too dear, it’s too cold, the football is rubbish, won’t watch the old firm, don’t like all seaters... the list is endless.

I don’t think the reason the support is poor is because of the Chairman/board in particular, although I do think SB could probably suck the oxygen out of any party, and I do agree with previous posters, a big opportunity was missed after we won the cup. 
It’s down to personal choice for what people want to spend their time & money on, not the Chairman .... there are many flaws in the way the club is run, but the onus is on the punter whether they want to turn up or not. 

9 hours ago, lossiesaint said:

I don't go to every game. I go to what I can, when I can. There are maybe a lot of other 'living out of Perth on shift working' people like me. Sometimes I can find it hard to go along to a match when I think about a 250 mile round trip for a home game, although I normally tie it up with a trip home to see friends and family.

The biggest reasons I hear from people who live in or close to Perth about not going to the football anymore is:

"I'm not spending my hard earned cash and 3 hours of my weekend in the freezing cold and wet watching that cr&p."

Maybe the fault lies at more than one door, maybe the reason the the decline in fan numbers is social and maybe moving to a cheaper product maybe playing the scottish league in the summer instead of the winter will help bolster numbers......but......

Do we then dilute the product and end up back where we are because we can't get good players in because we can't compete with south of the border - hell, we can't do that now, not even our top clubs can, when you think about Adam Rooney leaving Aberdeen to go to...Salford FFS!

As much as we bleat and the Browns bleat about our current fan base situation, it's maybe everyones and no-ones fault. I can see that the Broons may be looking for a buyer, but I'm also sure that they have the best interests of the club at heart when they do, so at present, I'll not read too much into their views expressed by the press.

We've got a big cup tie coming up Sunday and a chance of getting into the top 6.... things we would have happily accepted in October. We should focus attention on those for now.

Until the FOR SALE sign is bigger than the GS Brown sign, I think we'll be ok.

Rooney wasn't first choice at Aberdeen anymore and couldn't be guaranteed it, he was on his way out. You've been fooled into believing something by the press, much like everyone thinking we're going bust after Browns gloomy rant.

Sensationalism at its finest.

You may not agree but after the thrill of the new stadium wore off I always think it’s the location that is partly to blame for the poor crowds.

The car park can be difficult to get out of and they keep altering exit strategy.

Muirton could be walked to from the town and estates easily.

Aberdeen will find this problem as well when they move.

34 minutes ago, akuram said:

You may not agree but after the thrill of the new stadium wore off I always think it’s the location that is partly to blame for the poor crowds.

The car park can be difficult to get out of and they keep altering exit strategy.

Get your point but its Perth not exactly London or some huge metropolis that takes an age to get to the outskirts, and do a lot of people not stay in the outskirts now rather than town centre? think too many other entertainment choices in this day and age and the general lack of apathy in Perth to the team, if you deducted the support that came from outside the city, the support from the city itself is pretty poor.

8 hours ago, akuram said:

This is a very hazy memory, but didn't Saints try running free buses from town for home games a while back? Maybe around 10 years ago? I have a feeling they cancelled the scheme in the end because there wasn't enough uptake. Might just be my old memory playing tricks though.

McDiarmid is within walking distance of the Western edge Oakbank and Letham etc. Dont think Its the location that is the problem. They need a huge marketing drive to get bums in seats and it wouldnt happen over night. Sometimes they cant even give the tickets away. Saints fans are an ageing lot, the younger generation are not coming in the same numbers. Is £25 too much? A lot of people in Perth live here because its a nice place to live and bring up families but dont have any great interest in the local team. Lots of reasons.

Edited by Rob

McDiarmid is a pretty depressing place when it is only 25% full  and  2 empty stands behind each goal . To make watching football enjoyable you need a decent game plus a good atmosphere. At the time of the relocation most people thought 10,000 was the correct size ( some actually wanted a higher capacity ) but these days McDiarmid is far to big for the majority of our  matches. Their is no easy solution to this problem but the lack of atmosphere may be another reason some people are not going to our games these days . £25.00 to sit in a cold empty stadium is not appealing . 

1 hour ago, callander saint said:

McDiarmid is a pretty depressing place when it is only 25% full  and  2 empty stands behind each goal . To make watching football enjoyable you need a decent game plus a good atmosphere. At the time of the relocation most people thought 10,000 was the correct size ( some actually wanted a higher capacity ) but these days McDiarmid is far to big for the majority of our  matches. Their is no easy solution to this problem but the lack of atmosphere may be another reason some people are not going to our games these days . £25.00 to sit in a cold empty stadium is not appealing . 

Tend to agree with this about stadium size, but then we'd be ruing it when there are potentially 4 OF and 4 Dundee games to  be had. A smaller stadium would have lost us a heap of cash over the years. It's not about having it full on regular games, it's about having the spare capacity for the big games.

I think McD is what you make it. I like it, I like the walk up there.

14 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Rooney wasn't first choice at Aberdeen anymore and couldn't be guaranteed it, he was on his way out. You've been fooled into believing something by the press, much like everyone thinking we're going bust after Browns gloomy rant.

Sensationalism at its finest.

Which Aberdeen striker has been? LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Never believed that we were going bust, all SB said was it wasn't sustainable...which is pretty much the same for any business.....you have to make more than you pay... I was more worried about someone else getting the reins.... like I said though, I still think they will ensure that the next owner will be right for the club.

Storm in a teacup with bad timing this week....that's all.

Not sure it's about the stadium being too big. Rugby park is 18,000 odd. Must cost them a fortune to run/maintain. It's a combination of factors already listed. Cost of entry, entertainment factor and marketing to me. Cost and entertainment are really difficult for any club to manage as they are often linked. And you can't guarantee entertainment just by paying for better players. To me marketing is a major flaw. It's a shambles at best, ad-hoc and unprofessional. If there was a league table for engagement with fans and "fan experience " we'd be in the 1st div, probably fighting to avoid relegation. And not helped by our chairman. A mess.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

47 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Not sure it's about the stadium being too big. Rugby park is 18,000 odd. Must cost them a fortune to run/maintain. It's a combination of factors already listed. Cost of entry, entertainment factor and marketing to me. Cost and entertainment are really difficult for any club to manage as they are often linked. And you can't guarantee entertainment just by paying for better players. To me marketing is a major flaw. It's a shambles at best, ad-hoc and unprofessional. If there was a league table for engagement with fans and "fan experience " we'd be in the 1st div, probably fighting to avoid relegation. And not helped by our chairman. A mess.

When was the last time rugby park had a capacity crowd?

cannae even get half full for Celtic or rangers most of the time.

mind you it was almost capacity when we went there with a monster away support when we finished third.thats the year we got Europe beating Dundee in the largest crowd at mcd to date.

football watching has changed.i blame live telly mainly .

Have a database of people signed up to wanting free or £5 tickets. Then when we have a game with a typically low crowd they can send out an email with a QR code. Put a few extra bums on seats behind the goal. Make money on snacks etc. Entice people to come back regularly.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Have a database of people signed up to wanting free or £5 tickets. Then when we have a game with a typically low crowd they can send out an email with a QR code. Put a few extra bums on seats behind the goal. Make money on snacks etc. Entice people to come back regularly.

Sounds Ok but a bit  of a kick in the teeth to our season Ticket Holders. 

3 hours ago, Rob said:

I’d rather they just flooded the schools and college with free tickets. Get 3000 handed out per week. Maybe with a “bring an adult for £5” ticket attached. 

2 hours ago, callander saint said:

Sounds Ok but a bit  of a kick in the teeth to our season Ticket Holders. 

I can't speak for all season ticket holders but I see my season ticket purchase as the cost I'm happy to pay to watch my team. It doesn't overly bother me if Saints subsequently offer cheaper seats on a few occasions.

I've chosen to spend £300 to watch 20 games (or whatever) and if I think that's a fair price then I pay the money.

16 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Tend to agree with this about stadium size, but then we'd be ruing it when there are potentially 4 OF and 4 Dundee games to  be had. A smaller stadium would have lost us a heap of cash over the years. It's not about having it full on regular games, it's about having the spare capacity for the big games.

There's also the point that, up until a few years ago, we wouldn't even have been allowed to play in the top flight if we had any fewer than 10,000 seats. To be blocked from getting promoted, as I believe Falkirk were at one point, would have been disastrous for the club.

I tend to think 10,000 is about right for Saints. Yes, our average is way below that, but when we have bigger games such as European matches or the games against the OF, it's about right for making sure everyone who wants a ticket can get one. We also have to bear in mind that a stadium is a long-term home that may need to last a club anything up to 100 years. Just because crowds are poor at the moment, doesn't mean that will always be the trend.

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’d rather they just flooded the schools and college with free tickets. Get 3000 handed out per week. Maybe with a “bring an adult for £5” ticket attached. 

Not sure how successful giving tickets to schools has been in the past. We get it now and then through the school but its usually £10 or something. My point is that they need to target adults etc who are already interested but find the cost prohibitive via a mailing list and offer it at a knockdown price when we have low turnout games, not all the time.

As for being a kick in the teeth for season ticker holders then a lot would tell you they dont want to sit behind the goal anyway. They would just have to rethink the family stand thing a little, they already put Hearts fans in there with us a few weeks back.