Pitch

Cagey

16 hours ago, blueheaven said:

That's true. The plastic pitch would reduce the chance of postponements but wouldn't eradicate them completely. Also, there were some matches this past season where our pitch was an absolute mess - I can't see how an artificial surface wouldn't be an improvement on that.

Give it another 10-20 years and I think artificial surfaces will be the norm in Scotland. Younger players coming through will be used to playing on them, so won't have an issue with them.

Indeed. Saints would probably delay putting in an artificial pitch as the heated blanket was put in relatively recently. There's a lot of research/arguments about the effect of artificial pitches on players health, but I'm sure with technology it will be pretty safe in the years to come. 

I am sure plastic pitches have come a long way since I played on them. I remember at that time they were bad for the knees. But how far have they progressed, MacLean was always left out of the team when we played on a plastic pitch (and still is). I would be against them they may and I say may discourage players signing for the club if they do have more wear and tear on the legs than grass and hybrid pitches. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I am sure plastic pitches have come a long way since I played on them. I remember at that time they were bad for the knees. But how far have they progressed, MacLean was always left out of the team when we played on a plastic pitch (and still is). I would be against them they may and I say may discourage players signing for the club if they do have more wear and tear on the legs than grass and hybrid pitches. 

I think Macca was playing on plastic with Hearts.

4 hours ago, dave mc said:

I wouldn’t as he’s talking nonsense, the one in Russia is the only true plastic pitch, the others are all hybrids, which consist of over 90% real grass 

and the one in Russia was covered in grass: https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/38769/uefa-champions-league-final-pitch-installed-by-british-company-in/

I was under the impression that it was plastic too but after a google yesterday I discovered it was covered with a grass surface.

Edited by garydavidson

5 hours ago, dave mc said:

I wouldn’t as he’s talking nonsense, the one in Russia is the only true plastic pitch, the others are all hybrids, which consist of over 90% real grass 

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Yeh, didn’t like to say as he seemed to be enjoying himself.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

and the one in Russia was covered in grass: https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/38769/uefa-champions-league-final-pitch-installed-by-british-company-in/

I was under the impression that it was plastic too but after a google yesterday I discovered it was covered with a grass surface.

RandomGuy passing made up p*** off as knowledge shock horror!!!

4 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

RandomGuy passing made up p*** off as knowledge shock horror!!!

You have to hand it too him.Like most bullshitters he does make it look like he knows his stuff.

Experience tells us different.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Hybrid pitches arent full grass so are classed as artificial. 

If folk could point out where I'd mentioned those pitches being plastic, that would be great.

Hybrid pitches are grass pitches and not artificial. SRU Hearts Celtic and virtually all of the premier League in England are hybrid pitches. Artificial pitches are not allowed in premier League in England. 

I would doubt very much if saints were getting either a artificial pitch or hybrid pitch as both cost about 400k plus. 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:47 PM, RandomGuy said:

2007/08 in Russia.

2012/13 at Wembley.

2015/16 at the San Siro.

2016/17 at the Millennium Stadium.

None of those finals were played on a grass pitch.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

If folk could point out where I'd mentioned those pitches being plastic, that would be great.

2007/08 was played on grass.

Where did you find the definition of a hybrid pitch being artificial? Seemingly FIFA approves hybrid pitches but not fully synthetic pitches.

"Hybrid-grass systems are considered natural grass according to FIFA’s requirements and hybrid reinforcement should be considered for stadium pitches.” - http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2019/03/22/fifa-rules-artificial-pitches-womens-2023-world-cup-bidders/

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Random there is a youtube video showing how the  hybrid surface at Murrayfield was laid. It is far from being a artifical pitch with the grass simply growing round strands of artifical grass which are laid and inch or 2 apart. 

.https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=murrayfield+pitch+&&view=detail&mid=739BC8EE3E74A280F506739BC8EE3E74A280F506&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dmurrayfield%20pitch%20%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dmurrayfield%20pitch%20%26sc%3D5-18%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D4D3981A218AD46F9A859468B4666AFD5

2 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Can't see how Saints would consider a plastic/hybrid pitch in this current economic situation. It would be financial madness. SB doesn't do that. It's just going to be a nice new grass pitch. End of story.

Or more lukely the  same grass pitch as last season (this season if it's still alive) with some dandelions and daisies growing through it.   Lucky to see grass seed thrown on it I imagine.  

12 hours ago, Dave H said:

Or more lukely the  same grass pitch as last season (this season if it's still alive) with some dandelions and daisies growing through it.   Lucky to see grass seed thrown on it I imagine.  

Hope they do something with it as it just looks like sand.

• 2 years later...

Well they are letting the Saints on the Community kids play on the pitch tonight as a one off. Presumably they will carry out work after, whether that's scraping back and reseeding I don't know. A lot of teams have the hybrid pitches being mostly grass with a few % plastic. Don't think Saints have the finance for that.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Well they are letting the Saints on the Community kids play on the pitch tonight as a one off. Presumably they will carry out work after, whether that's scraping back and reseeding I don't know. A lot of teams have the hybrid pitches being mostly grass with a few % plastic. Don't think Saints have the finance for that.

The adults can get on as well: 

I see they relayed one of the training pitches. The groundsman spends an inordinate length of time on the training pitches. He seems to be working on them every time I go past.

Something has to be done with the main pitch but not sure much can be done in 5/6 weeks.

Should have been RELAID before I get hung drawn and quartered.

Edited by Cagey