Pitch

Cagey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Perth has been blessed with a lot of precipitation, I never remember the craigie burn ever torrenting like it has. We used to play by the banks on rope swings etc.!

If only we could have picked up the Muirton pitch and put it in MCD. It always seemed a perfect sward and we used to see it at close quarters invading the pitch (nicely) At least it isn't a plastic fantastic I suppose. But then we are playing fitba and no Subbuteo.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, Cagey said:

No home games til wed 24th January,not even cup game so pitch should have no problems this season.

Did not look the greatest today. Hearing that the players are unhappy with it as well.

I appreciate there has been a significant amount of rain over the past few months, buts it not as though we have been playing on it twice a week. Would have thought it would have been in much better condition given the money we spent on it in the summer.

53 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Did not look the greatest today. Hearing that the players are unhappy with it as well.

I appreciate there has been a significant amount of rain over the past few months, buts it not as though we have been playing on it twice a week. Would have thought it would have been in much better condition given the money we spent on it in the summer.

Saints players struggle to pass to a teammate on plastic pitches so what state the McD pitch is in shouldn’t matter 

Pitch is a disgrace again.

At least that fucin Muppet wasn't watering it today but he kept watering it during prob ably the wettest 2 months in history.

something has to be done we can't spend another £100 k on it.

we have to find a decent groundsman and just let the existing guy  cut the grass.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, Cagey said:

Motherwell's groundsman has left them. I wonder if Saints have poached him.

Probably following Burrows to Pittodrie.

I think the last time I saw Motherwell pitch on tv it wasn't much better than ours.

maybe our grounded is looking after theirs as well.

On 4/1/2023 at 7:24 PM, slf said:

I miss muirton park pitch 

but we didnae  hae a fountain

Yes it was the biggest and one of the best. Pity that couldn't have just been lifted and transported. But is it more to do with the foundations?

22 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I think undersoil heating was the tuning point as it used to be a great surface.

Undersoil heatintg ruined Kilmarnocks pitch too, i believe. Being unable to properly sort it led to them moving to an artificial pitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone on here have any knowledge as to why the pitch always gets saturated just before kick off?

The sprinklers pre match resulted in the scoreboard end of the east stand becoming almost flooded. It was noticeable in the early stages of the game that the players were struggling to keep their footing in that area of the pitch and the edge of the pitch was covered in big puddles as a result of the use of the sprinklers.

Not having a go, as there may be a reasonable explanation, but on the face of it, it just seems strange that we would  want to make an already suspect pitch churn up so easily. 

44 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Does anyone on here have any knowledge as to why the pitch always gets saturated just before kick off?

The sprinklers pre match resulted in the scoreboard end of the east stand becoming almost flooded. It was noticeable in the early stages of the game that the players were struggling to keep their footing in that area of the pitch and the edge of the pitch was covered in big puddles as a result of the use of the sprinklers.

Not having a go, as there may be a reasonable explanation, but on the face of it, it just seems strange that we would  want to make an already suspect pitch churn up so easily. 

I think they're constantly seeding it because it gets churned up by the tractor he drives over it every week, so they have to try and water it.

He was going around sprinkling seeds on it at half time.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I think they're constantly seeding it because it gets churned up by the tractor he drives over it every week, so they have to try and water it.

He was going around sprinkling seeds on it at half time.

I thought it was sand he was throwing about, either way though I can’t see how doing it at half time makes a difference. He actually walked right through one of the kids games with the mini goals.

3 hours ago, Aitchy said:

Makes the ball move quicker , most players prefer a fast pitch as opposed to a slow sticky one.Even Accies  watered their plastic pitch to speed it up.Thats my penny’s worth anyway 

I thought the grass was left too long on Saturday but maybe to slow the diddies attack down, was hoping the Hibee was in the running for the diddies groundsman job,maybe he's waiting on the easter road gig coming up! Wonder if he has as many sprinklers in his own back garden!!