St.Mirren V St.Johnstone - Wednesday 4th March

SaintJet

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

BBC reporting at its best saying we have lost ground on top six. Were we not 5 points behind 6th tonight and now we are 4. Still not far enough away from the bottom yet for my liking.

We're clear of relegation, we need about 6 points from the rest of the season to be safe, due to everyone in the bottom half having to play each other. 

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Disappointing that we are back to punting high balls to May who I don't remember being able to head a ball.

I thought we had started playing football.

Just don’t understand this tactic.  May was the one In the more advanced position out of him and Kane but he’s not good at winning high balls, out muscling opponents and holding up the play.  Why not let Kane do this who altogether better at doing this and who could then feed May??   

Must have lumped balls up to him umpteen times tonight and lucky if he won any.  Tommy remember this didn’t work!!!

Better result than last time out here.  A nil nil isnt the end of the world.  No gain by St Mirren.  Can't believe the bottom 2 won this set of fixtures, not that it is that noticeable.  Never have thought Hearts win at Hibs and Accies win at Rangers.  This bottom 6, who ever it involves will be a nervous fight.   Fingers and toes crossed we do enough to get top 6 but happy tonight with a shut out, decent form continues.   Do not forget where we have come from in this rebuild season. COYS!

20200304_225125.jpg

Just in the door. 200 mile round trip on a school night is nae fun! 

Started well enough, but I reckon Sunday’s endeavours on a heavy pitch took a lot out of the legs. 

Not too many at the races today aside from Drey. Way too many aimless long balls and we lost the midfield battles and loose balls from half an hour in. 

Done well to leave with a point but equally felt we could have snatched a win up until Craig got his Red. 

9 hours ago, Dave H said:

Better result than last time out here.  A nil nil isnt the end of the world.  No gain by St Mirren.  Can't believe the bottom 2 won this set of fixtures, not that it is that noticeable.  Never have thought Hearts win at Hibs and Accies win at Rangers.  This bottom 6, who ever it involves will be a nervous fight.   Fingers and toes crossed we do enough to get top 6 but happy tonight with a shut out, decent form continues.   Do not forget where we have come from in this rebuild season. COYS!

20200304_225125.jpg

Not many if any results went as expected last night especially the ones we hoped for.

Last night was brutal. This is the type of game and location that drives fans nuts.

I left Dundee at 5pm and because of the Rangers and Aberdeen games the traffic was murder around Glasgow. Got to the stadium at 7.30pm only to be met with a queue of about forty Saints fans waiting at the ticket kiosk. I got in just after kick off. St.Mirren are needing our money surley they can put a cash gate on for midweek games especially against diddy teams like ours?

The game was equally trying - no free flowing football, big hooves up the park aimlessly trying to pick out Stevie. The ball was like a hot potatoe and and even young McCann displayed a lack of composure which is his trademark. I thought the game was crying out for Holt who was on the bench - Spoony who is having a good season was well out of the game.

I have real issues with the substitution - bringing on Swanson who hasn't had any game time for months in place of May. The game was in the balance and Craig who had been booked earlier was always going to be throwing himself in to tackles and that's exactly what happened  - a complete lack of awareness that could have cost us dearly. Sorry Tommy, you got this one wrong - Liam Gordon was on the bench too and could have came on and really squeezed the the life out of the game in the middle of the park with the hope of us getting a lucky break.

McCart was again excellent with credit to Zander for pulling off that late save. A performance to forget but ultimately a very valuable point.

Oh, then to add insult to injury major road traffic accident on the M8 meant a huge travelling support from several teams going around the house to get home. Scottish football....................

11 hours ago, slf said:

Clearly the team put there all into the cup tie .Wednesday came around too quick.

even Celtic struggled as well.

nice wee point .

Tough gig playing football for a living. 180 minutes, plus a few hours daily training, doesn't sound all that taxing for your working week.

Poor lambs.

Yeah, as you say, nice wee point

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Oh, then to add insult to injury major road traffic accident on the M8 meant a huge travelling support from several teams going around the house to get home. Scottish football....................

To be fair the fact that someone more than likely will lose their life, a slight delay is not really significant.

Also all around the houses was just a diversion on to the M74 motorway and then on to M73 to join back up with the M80.

30 minutes ago, mainstand said:

To be fair the fact that someone more than likely will lose their life, a slight delay is not really significant.

Also all around the houses was just a diversion on to the M74 motorway and then on to M73 to join back up with the M80.

Your quoting out of context here Mainstand. Yes, being late home is not significant at all where loss of life is involved. My postscript about the traffic was the summing up of long trying evening.

Was there a big delay on M8 before the accident? 

We headed west, over Erskine Bridge, then down Great Western Rd and merged back onto motorway just after Charing Cross tunnel. Only took about 20 mins and, having seen what it's like trying to get away from Ibrox, would maybe just do that again if we were in Paisley when they were at home. 

Game was rotten and the result a real blow to top six hopes. Healthy away support of 350 on a Wednesday night. 

13 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

We headed west, over Erskine Bridge, then down Great Western Rd and merged back onto motorway just after Charing Cross tunnel. Only took about 20 mins and, having seen what it's like trying to get away from Ibrox, would maybe just do that again if we were in Paisley when they were at home. 

Game was rotten and the result a real blow to top six hopes. Healthy away support of 350 on a Wednesday night. 

I forgot the Rangers game was at Ibrox, stopped for a KFC near the big Audi garage just off the M8. 

Traffic wasn’t too bad tbh. Maybe held me Up 10 mins tops. 

I think the incident actually happened at 1925, it’s a pretty sobering thing seeing all those privacy screens up on the road. 

40 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

This is an excellent idea for future games through there when Rangers are at home. The traffic was stop start for about an hour.

Same story as SaintJet really, frustrating journey down , made it to ground just as game kicked off to be met with the view in picture of queue at ticket office.

One lass from St Mirren was at least a bit proactive to the situation and came out of office to sell adult tickets for cash only which helped speed our progress a bit.

Horrible game to watch but then puts everything into perspective when going home and driving past all the police on the closed bit of motorway and then the green security screens like you see in horse racing and realise somebody has died there that night.

99C2C3A2-E2EA-40DA-8FEB-357BF91EDB98.jpeg

4 hours ago, mainstand said:

Only if your coach driver didn’t decide to go on a mystery tour involving several dead ends via Alexandria and the Stirling flats!

5 hours ago, Strawman said:

Same story as SaintJet really, frustrating journey down , made it to ground just as game kicked off to be met with the view in picture of queue at ticket office.

One lass from St Mirren was at least a bit proactive to the situation and came out of office to sell adult tickets for cash only which helped speed our progress a bit.

Horrible game to watch but then puts everything into perspective when going home and driving past all the police on the closed bit of motorway and then the green security screens like you see in horse racing and realise somebody has died there that night.

99C2C3A2-E2EA-40DA-8FEB-357BF91EDB98.jpeg

I do believe, (I was told this when St Mirren played at their old ground) that the reason there is no cash gate is because there was some swickery going on at the turnstiles, say 1500 crowd and 1200 receipts. To avoid cash disappearing their games were made all ticket, I only found this out because I had to buy a ticket at McD for a game that was so not going to be a sellout,  had mentioned it to a Paisleyite and they said there was pilfering at the turnstiles ... it kind of makes sense ... although irritating if it’s the only option to get in