The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

22 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Perhaps Saints are one of the fortunate teams in Scotland.

Money in the bank and out of our next 4 matches until split we have only one home match against Hamilton.

I would imagine that most of the crowd at this match would be season ticket holders with little walk up and pay attendees and little away support. 

Little effect on meeting ongoing expenses during this period.

Yeah, Saints shouldnt be hit too badly but they may have got into top 6 with a game v Celtic & a n other.

We are a well run club with other income so we will be OK but a few could be in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Yeah, Saints shouldnt be hit too badly but they may have got into top 6 with a game v Celtic & a n other.

We are a well run club with other income so we will be OK but a few could be in trouble.

Agree Cagey but at present the games have only been suspended - so there is still the opportunity later in the year to play Tic and one other.

If the powers that be decide season is finished then Celtic should have to give other teams financial recompense for getting the title and into Europe..........fat chance!!!

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Take a wild guess.

We'll be absolutely fine, every chance we could play Hibs with Shaun Rooney in the starting line up though...

Clubs who will suffer as the part time ones. Zero income coming in yet still paying wages. This could devastate the lower tiers if it goes on too long.

If the games are played before the start of next season teams would have to play with existing staff.

Can't see it rolling over to next season. Think they will find a formula to decide things but someone is bound to be upset.

At least it solved the problem of rearranging Rangers game.

Not sure what SFA will do about Scottish cup. Probably best to just cancelled it & give them each a quarter of the cup.

16 minutes ago, Cagey said:

If the games are played before the start of next season teams would have to play with existing staff.

Can't see it rolling over to next season. Think they will find a formula to decide things but someone is bound to be upset.

At least it solved the problem of rearranging Rangers game.

Not sure what SFA will do about Scottish cup. Probably best to just cancelled it & give them each a quarter of the cup.

If fixtures not completed we should be given an extra point and a bit to put us above Hibs for year end prize money in lou of our average points per game from our 29 games played to date compared to other teams 30 games. 

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

If fixtures not completed we should be given an extra point and a bit to put us above Hibs for year end prize money in lou of our average points per game from our 29 games played to date compared to other teams 30 games. 

Neil Lennon seemed to suggest that, if they finished the league now, final places would be on an average points per game basis. That would put us sixth, by about 0.01 of a point. No other way round the games in hand thing.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

They could just finish the season at the enf of this year and have a shorter season next year.

Finish off the season by end of year. Have a couple of months break . Start New season in March/April & have summer football?

11 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Was there any need for Kirsten Robertson's comments on this statement?

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/club-statement-suspension-matches

Not sure why but it annoys me to see the club saying they are 'disappointed' fairly echoing the Jim Traynor line from Ibrox.

picked up on that too. what is there disappointment about........ not getting to continue when it's blindingly obvious that we need to be fking careful

folk will lose jobs, clubs might go under but I'm hoping my old folk don't get the virus .........it will kill them.

Oh ...maybe the club will make some money from  Wakes in the muirton suite. GTFO. Football can wait

7 hours ago, MySpazz said:

picked up on that too. what is there disappointment about........ not getting to continue when it's blindingly obvious that we need to be fking careful

folk will lose jobs, clubs might go under but I'm hoping my old folk don't get the virus .........it will kill them.

Oh ...maybe the club will make some money from  Wakes in the muirton suite. GTFO. Football can wait

I think that’s a strange thing to pick up on. I wanted to go to the football but somethings happened which means I can’t go now. It’s the correct decision but I’m disappointed too....so was Tommy. Is that allowed? 

17 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Perhaps Saints are one of the fortunate teams in Scotland.

Money in the bank and out of our next 4 matches until split we have only one home match against Hamilton.

I would imagine that most of the crowd at this match would be season ticket holders with little walk up and pay attendees and little away support. 

Little effect on meeting ongoing expenses during this period.

3 or 4 years ago on one of the few occasions I have had an invite to hospitality at McD, a club director told me that only around 22% of Saints' income came from gate receipts.  If that is still true we should be well placed to sit out the current problem.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

3 or 4 years ago on one of the few occasions I have had an invite to hospitality at McD, a club director told me that only around 22% of Saints' income came from gate receipts.  If that is still true we should be well placed to sit out the current problem.

The problem being that a lot of the other income comes from conferences and other hospitality events which might all have to be cancelled. 

so worst case scenario, all games canceled for rest of season, would the uk govt not step in with special funding to support sports teams? Maybe a flat sum for every club, depending on level, so clubs run outside of their means, dont get an advantage.

Very unusual anti-social virus, cant imagine anyone would want it to unravel social structures long-term. 

3 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

so worst case scenario, all games canceled for rest of season, would the uk govt not step in with special funding to support sports teams? Maybe a flat sum for every club, depending on level, so clubs run outside of their means, dont get an advantage.

Very unusual anti-social virus, cant imagine anyone would want it to unravel social structures long-term. 

I think there will be loads of small businesses,zero contract workers etc,etc to be supported before this crisis is finished.  Football clubs with £2 million in the bank will be pretty far down the list.

9 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

There’s a £3k grant available to some SME’s. Can’t see football clubs getting government help. 

Every entertainment and hospitality industry is going to struggle. Hotels, restaurants, cinemas, theatres. 

Then you have people getting next to no sick pay who can’t afford to self isolate 

1 hour ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Not a hope in hell, wont even help people on UC, one way of reducing the population .

Listened to some of Sportsound earlier and the general consensus is that this shutdown is likely to run into a significant number of months.

The English date of 3rd April is just the end of the International break, highly likely to be extended and the Scottish game don’t want to build false hope by setting dates. 

Further complications on the finance issue, with there being no financial reserves to help clubs, and any prize money comes direct to the SPFL from TV deals upon season completion, which at this point hasn’t happened. 

11 hours ago, Papa Jack said:

I think that’s a strange thing to pick up on. I wanted to go to the football but somethings happened which means I can’t go now. It’s the correct decision but I’m disappointed too....so was Tommy. Is that allowed? 

I don't know whether to be delighted or saddened that football is so important to you that you are disappointed it has been postponed for a virus that is wiping out vulnerable people.

Ready the statement for Klopp and see why class can not be bought.

16 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I don't know whether to be delighted or saddened that football is so important to you that you are disappointed it has been postponed for a virus that is wiping out vulnerable people.

Ready the statement for Klopp and see why class can not be bought.

And compare it with Lennon's despite the fact that it has been 30 years for Liverpool.

On 3/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, garydavidson said:

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/club-statement-suspension-matches

Not sure why but it annoys me to see the club saying they are 'disappointed' fairly echoing the Jim Traynor line from Ibrox.

I, like others, see nothing wrong with being disappointed, and why take umbrage just because another club have said the same?

I can understand why they have cancelled football but I would have rather seen them dictating that the clubs played all games behind closed doors first.

I would state now that the league will stops after 33 games with everyone playing each other 3 times.

I also think there is a way of promoting the game and seeing the season out and that is by utilising the indoor national performance centre at the Oriam.

6 games one after the other on a  single day, No fans, televised on a pay per view channel.

As for the comments by Klopp and :Lennon I think the important thing is that both did say it was the right decision to stop football. Some of the headlines about Lennon didn't seem to match up with what he said.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 3:21 PM, garydavidson said:

I would have been more disappointed if the CLub had come out saying that they were delighted that the fixtures were cancelled, she said exactly what Tommy and most of us were saying yesterday.

11 hours ago, south inch said:

Without being nasty or sick we might get an increase from funerals 

39 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I can understand why they have cancelled football but I would have rather seen them dictating that the clubs played all games behind closed doors first.

As you know, that is what armature football is for - you can't run a professional league without fans. 

35 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I would have been more disappointed if the CLub had come out saying that they were delighted that the fixtures were cancelled, she said exactly what Tommy and most of us were saying yesterday.

Come now, football is a very minor matter when it comes to lives being lost.

There was absolutely no need for anyone at the club to say they were disappointed unless they were completely unaware of how this virus progresses. Look at the statement from Klopp - "football is the most important of the least important things". Being disappointed that people are trying to safeguard others feels short sighted to me.