The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

18 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I think what you’re saying is completely wrong. 

Infected areas in China shut down completely. People have been forced to be housebound for 5+ weeks, and still are. 

meanwhile here the schools are open, Bath half marathon went ahead yesterday, as did Cheltenham festival last week. 

There is no danger that we’ll be anything like China in getting this under control. 

Best estimates for a vaccine right now is 12-18 months because it has to go through the process. It has to go through a substantial animal testing then human testing process before anything can be produced to scale 

I like your post Pat. But no. 12-18 months is wrong. If you're going to introduce any vaccine, it must go through a 10-15 year clinical study. That could end player's careers. A rush job brings more crap down the line. Don't believe the hype. We're at least 5 -10 years away from an effective vaccine. All rats and monkeys have died in labs I've visited. And that is top notch science. 

In your Dundee slums!

16 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

We just made a decision today to have all our employees to work from home, across all 43 offices in the US. Not sure why the UK is behind on all this, is there any reason why Scotland hasn't mandated any bans on large gatherings? I agree, it feels very contradictory.

SFA and SYFA actually sent out an email to clubs and leagues last night stating that they have left the decision as t whether to train or not to the clubs but their medical advice is that no gatherings of people should take part in sport or exercise etc.

Just make a bloomin decision and say all training for clubs is banned. It's not hard and they would get more respect that going all around the houses.

Likewise for working form home there needs to be decisive action.

6 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It now seems that the reason advice from governments etc is “advice” and not instruction is to avoid triggering business disruption insurance payouts. As a result, many small businesses will go bust. Ask yourself who owns the insurance companies.........

Any policies that I have seen that have cover under business interruption insurance will only pay out if you have an outbreak at your premises or close vicinity. Even if government ordered mass shutdown it is very unlikely anyone will have any cover for the loss of income. 

37 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It now seems that the reason advice from governments etc is “advice” and not instruction is to avoid triggering business disruption insurance payouts. As a result, many small businesses will go bust. Ask yourself who owns the insurance companies.........

You are the chief conspiracy theorist.

Its time politics were left out of something this serious

53 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Why? 

The government need to be supporting businesses at this time, at the moment it looks like British Airways are going to get billions of pounds as a pay out while small businesses all over the UK crumble.

With the £25 that was supposed to go to Hibs last weekend burning a hole in my pocket I've signed up for Saints TV and bought another Lotto ticket. 

Before the angry mob start up I appreciate not everyone will be in a position to do something similar but if you can I would suggest now is the time to sign up. Maybe buy this years kit? 

Probably wont make a huge impact but every penny will count for the club in the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Pink said:

With the £25 that was supposed to go to Hibs last weekend burning a hole in my pocket I've signed up for Saints TV and bought another Lotto ticket. 

Before the angry mob start up I appreciate not everyone will be in a position to do something similar but if you can I would suggest now is the time to sign up. Maybe buy this years kit? 

Probably wont make a huge impact but every penny will count for the club in the next few weeks.

Not sure how much of the Saints TV money goes to saints. Buying Merchandise directly from the club is definitely a better move 

45 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I suspect there will be clarity on the closure of pubs, restaurants etc if not today, this week. 

was probably just badly worded yesterday 

No. Was carefully worded.

They know exactly what the outcome will be if they mandate a closure.

Compare and contrast with the message coming from Macron in france.

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Why? 

The government need to be supporting businesses at this time, at the moment it looks like British Airways are going to get billions of pounds as a pay out while small businesses all over the UK crumble.

And I rest my case.  Business in general is getting millions. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Well I got this from the BBC and Channel 4, so it’s a fecking big conspiracy theory.

And as for being the “chief conspiracy theorist,” point me to one example of that? There’s nutters on here saying the Coronavirus isn’t a virus, it was something sprayed by the Chinese, and the government is just trying to cull the aged. Not quite sure why I’m the target. 

Edited by Abernethy Saint

2 hours ago, St. Paddy said:

No. Was carefully worded.

They know exactly what the outcome will be if they mandate a closure.

Compare and contrast with the message coming from Macron in france.

Macron pledging £40 billion. Chancellor has already pledged a big amount for business & is likely to bump it up today.

It will be done by borrowing with intrerest rates low. With every country in the world in the same boat where is all this low interest rate money coming from ?.

The money coming from income tax will drastically drop due to unemployment. The stock market is collapsing so no tax on profits there.

We are ****ed even if we don't die.

49 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

Not sure how accurate this is but I suppose we will find out in a week.

7E6B101F-7BC8-418B-A8A0-E083DB710171.jpeg

Clubs very much relying on the league position payout to keep going. 

I read somewhere that if more than 75% of games have been played the SPFL can call that a season and award places and prize money. Can anyone confirm this? 

There's no way that the season can be extended, there are loads of players  out of contract on 31st May, they cannot play if they are not registered to a club so teams would be left short of players beyond 31/5, and are highly unlikely to sign new players until their is a clear picture on the way ahead. Postponing the Euros won't make any difference to this. 

There are 3 options :

Season ended now null and void. No trophies awarded and no relegation or promotion. 

Reconstruction to a bigger league, most likely 14 teams. 

Or, current positions stand and titles etc awarded. 

More meetings planned for Thursday re way forward, whatever happens someone is going to be unhappy. 

Perhaps a combination of options might be the answer or the league could just follow SLF's lead and all get pished. 

Players going out of contract is going to havd a major bearing on whatever is decided. 

We would lose Holt,Jones,Butcher & Ralston. Is there any more ?.

Would have hoped Booth would have been offered a contract but not sure now.

There are a few to be re-signed but will they be with all this uncertainty.

SPFL will have to make a decision because if all those players don't get signed & a decision is made later to complete the league if a miracle happen & the virus dies,some teams will not have enough players.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

We would lose Holt,Jones,Butcher & Ralston. Is there any more ?.

Would have hoped Booth would have been offered a contract but not sure now.

There are a few to be re-signed but will they be with all this uncertainty.

SPFL will have to make a decision because if all those players don't get signed & a decision is made later to complete the league if a miracle happen & the virus dies,some teams will not have enough players.

Craig, Davidson and Swanson, possibly more haven't checked them all. 

Davidson may have another year on the table but certs8shoeing 31/5 on the transfer site.