The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

3 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Void the season and we’ll be in breach of contract on the tv deal I suspect. 

That is where all money comes from.

Tv have breached contract to punters.   Should just get round a webcam and talk common sense in crisis conditions.   The season will not commence and end anytime soon, then clubs will go bust before that hsppens and TV dont get any games to show.

20 hours ago, Dave H said:

Tv have breached contract to punters.   Should just get round a webcam and talk common sense in crisis conditions.   The season will not commence and end anytime soon, then clubs will go bust before that hsppens and TV dont get any games to show.

I’m not sure TV agave breached any contract to punters. 

We buy sports channels, not a football package 

EASY SOLUTION

All contracts end as stipulated in June. But finish this season whenever we can, then have next season just 30 games.

OR

Just keep going ..... a two season season!!! make Dundee united play 70 games to get promoted :)

Edited by MySpazz

Drop any hopes for things getting any better lads. The Coronavirus pandemic is expected to go till May, if not curtailed (and by the looks of it, this just might be the case)!!! I am bored, watching matches on youtube is not the same like being pumped for a fresh season. I hope the outbreak is controlled, really stretching it thin with the resources yeh.

To stop the season now would not only be grossly unfair to all teams, but also, cutting of our noses... 

With still 8 games to play, that is all revenue all clubs will want to still get. Bot to mention that it will a) be summer(ish) football, so bigger crowds and more potential revenue and b) fans will be desperate for football AND many will want to support their clubs through this.

Get the rest of the season played as soon as it is safe to do so, sell 'remainder of season' season tickets and get next seasons ST's out ASAP. Allow for folk to choose to defer payment if they want until things are back up and running.

If it means only a week or two between this season and next, then so beit.

Like most things with this, a lot is just deferred. 

33 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

With still 8 games to play, that is all revenue all clubs will want to still get. Bot to mention that it will a) be summer(ish) football, so bigger crowds and more potential revenue and b) fans will be desperate for football AND many will want to support their clubs through this.

I think the horrific turn-out for the League Cup group stages (1,648 turned up for our game against Ross County last July) has pretty much killed the myth that summer football would automatically bring in bigger crowds. On top of that I think there are going to be a lot of people struggling for money for quite some time after this - that could well have a big impact on attendances and season ticket sales.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think the horrific turn-out for the League Cup group stages (1,648 turned up for our game against Ross County last July) has pretty much killed the myth that summer football would automatically bring in bigger crowds. On top of that I think there are going to be a lot of people struggling for money for quite some time after this - that could well have a big impact on attendances and season ticket sales.

Quite apart from when some form of league will restart, certainly agree a lot of clubs will be hit with fans unable/unwilling to afford to go to games. Clubs could easily go to the wall. Corporate hospitality & sponsorship will be affected. They'll most likely have to also put back the summer transfer market too. 

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Agree re the point that fans may struggle, but clubs could allow deferred ST payments or pay what you can. Ultimately, seats are not going to be scarce, so better to fill it, even if it is just a few extra quid.

What will be interesting is the out of contract players and whether they become self employed or whether saints can claim the 80% contribution from govt.

A fair few clubs will struggle and maybe this will be the rebalancing in football that most of us have predicted for so long. What this highlights You is how hand to mouth a lot if clubs are, even in EPL.

Even the c£2m Saints have in the bank wont see us long. 

Like most of society, football will look very different when this ends. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

SPFL Advance Payments.

Celtic ,Rangers & Motherwell £395,000.

2nd Division teams £1,350.

FFS could they not have evened it out a bit & adjust at the end of season.

What is £1,350 going to do for these clubs.

The money should have been split better. Why when the season is not finished does position count?

Aberdeen are only one point behind Motherwell but get about £200000 less. The lower leagues payments are just an insult.

Not sure on the rules on this, but the 80% wages thing - I think that this may be a last resort for companies that cannot pay their employees wages for the foreseeable emergency period, who would have laid them off to keep the company afloat. With Saints having that much money in the bank, they may be told by the govt to use that first before they will take up the wages of our players. The club could actually lose out because it has money in the bank.

8 hours ago, lossiesaint said:

Not sure on the rules on this, but the 80% wages thing - I think that this may be a last resort for companies that cannot pay their employees wages for the foreseeable emergency period, who would have laid them off to keep the company afloat. With Saints having that much money in the bank, they may be told by the govt to use that first before they will take up the wages of our players. The club could actually lose out because it has money in the bank.

No, that’s not part of the rules. It isn’t conditional on the company's cash balance. Companies seem to be reacting in a number of ways:

1/ Keeping folk on, with some cuts in salary, hours etc, costs which they will get back from the government (up to 80%). Hearts appear to be in this group. Decent.

2/ Keeping folk on, paying 100%, 80% covered by the government and absorbing the 20% themselves. Saints appear to be in this category (we don’t really know). Good guys, remember them & use them afterwards.

3/ Laying folk off, regardless of the 80% commitment. These guys are c***ts, remember them and don’t use them afterwards, eg Weatherspoons, Britannia Hotels, Gordon Ramsay.

What would be superb is to see the very highly paid at Saints and elsewhere take a cut so the low paid can keep their wage. 

11 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

No, that’s not part of the rules. It isn’t conditional on the company's cash balance. Companies seem to be reacting in a number of ways:

1/ Keeping folk on, with some cuts in salary, hours etc, costs which they will get back from the government (up to 80%). Hearts appear to be in this group. Decent.

2/ Keeping folk on, paying 100%, 80% covered by the government and absorbing the 20% themselves. Saints appear to be in this category (we don’t really know). Good guys, remember them & use them afterwards.

3/ Laying folk off, regardless of the 80% commitment. These guys are c***ts, remember them and don’t use them afterwards, eg Weatherspoons, Britannia Hotels, Gordon Ramsay.

What would be superb is to see the very highly paid at Saints and elsewhere take a cut so the low paid can keep their wage. 

What choice do these companies have....Of course the Food & Beverage companies will pay people off and so they should along with every other company .. It's better to cut now and survive later.. People who think private companies should carry on paying are in dream land .. If there's no money they'll just close anyway....It's 100% the governments responsibility they've shut the country they should pay... My only concern is during H1N1 nobody closed because we were fixated by the crash .. social media has brought this world to a standstill and personally there should be a right to go back to work by April end......As there will be more deaths and more anarchy more crime if we continue down this economical death... Over 65 & Compromised health stay home the rest get on with your lives and turn my beloved New York City into John Carpenters Escape from New York......were FKKKEEDDD

25 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

What choice do these companies have....Of course the Food & Beverage companies will pay people off and so they should along with every other company .. It's better to cut now and survive later.. People who think private companies should carry on paying are in dream land .. If there's no money they'll just close anyway....It's 100% the governments responsibility they've shut the country they should pay... My only concern is during H1N1 nobody closed because we were fixated by the crash .. social media has brought this world to a standstill and personally there should be a right to go back to work by April end......As there will be more deaths and more anarchy more crime if we continue down this economical death... Over 65 & Compromised health stay home the rest get on with your lives and turn my beloved New York City into John Carpenters Escape from New York......were FKKKEEDDD

Keep safe

1 hour ago, byebyedundee said:

No one thinks the companies should keep paying wages. That’s why the government are paying their wages. There is no reason to cut anyone.

Everyone who thinks under 65’s should just carry on as normal is an idiot.

Stay away.

15 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

No one thinks the companies should keep paying wages. That’s why the government are paying their wages. There is no reason to cut anyone.

Everyone who thinks under 65’s should just carry on as normal is an idiot.

Stay away.

Some are.... Scotland never mind Perth are not seeing what I'm seeing.... I love Perth & Scotland however with your extreme left sided politics there will be strong support from the local government for a while...America short term is spending more than the Scotland budget 1000 fold plus.. Were heading for an economic disaster mate it's frikkin hell here with everything closed we must reopen by June or its multi million unemployment 2 million this week alone so I say we will be open by June and the frail and elderly will be asked to isolate longer....

Sincerly I hope this goes away sooner rather than later because even in Scotland and particulary the heavily populated cities crime will rise to a dangerous level....

1 hour ago, byebyedundee said:

Some are.... Scotland never mind Perth are not seeing what I'm seeing.... I love Perth & Scotland however with your extreme left sided politics there will be strong support from the local government for a while...America short term is spending more than the Scotland budget 1000 fold plus.. Were heading for an economic disaster mate it's frikkin hell here with everything closed we must reopen by June or its multi million unemployment 2 million this week alone so I say we will be open by June and the frail and elderly will be asked to isolate longer....

Sincerly I hope this goes away sooner rather than later because even in Scotland and particulary the heavily populated cities crime will rise to a dangerous level....

The US will suffer as much of an economic shock if they ignore the threat and lift social distancing measures too far and too soon.

The unemployment figures could easily be equaled by fatality figures if demand in hospitals outstrips capacity. On top of that how does the economy function when a large proportion of it are sick and the rest scared of getting sick?

No easy answers here for any country....but the US has the biggest disadvantage in that the President is way out of his league yet thinks he's on top of it all.

June is a possibility though if measures stay in place. Hopefully Scotland will peak in the next couple of weeks and we'll start the see the impact of social distancing.