The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

My feelings are that finishing this season must be the Football authorities main priority. Whether this is August/Sept/Oct or whenever they just have to find a way to do it. After this has happened and you have Champions/Promotion/Relegation all sorted out then try and find a workable solution for next season . 2020/21 will not be a normal season but with a bit of invention /compromise a solution could be found. 

1 hour ago, callander saint said:

My feelings are that finishing this season must be the Football authorities main priority. Whether this is August/Sept/Oct or whenever they just have to find a way to do it. After this has happened and you have Champions/Promotion/Relegation all sorted out then try and find a workable solution for next season . 2020/21 will not be a normal season but with a bit of invention /compromise a solution could be found. 

There would be no workable solution if a session finished in October. 

33 minutes ago, south inch said:

Finishing the season could well suit the TV boys.  Loads of meaningful games instead of the usual slow build up and just think of the hype that would go with the two outstanding hatefests.

EPL want to restart season first week in May'will need government approval' behind closed doors with TV. Apparently they have to refund Sky/BT £762 million if season is not completed by 12 July.

31 minutes ago, Cagey said:

EPL want to restart season first week in May'will need government approval' behind closed doors with TV. Apparently they have to refund Sky/BT £762 million if season is not completed by 12 July.

The global economic system must change after this.

Stay safe Saintees.  Stay home.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I cant see them doing anything like that tbh.

There’s two decisions: 1/ End the season as-is. That’s the big and difficult one, which they will try to avoid. 2/ IF they end it as is, I can’t see how they wouldn’t use average points. It’s the only way to deal with games in hand, and is surely a no-brainer. It’s the second decision, which is obviously conditional on the first, that I’m talking about, I haven’t a clue about the first one, no one does, including the SPFFPLPFL. 

Which decision can you not see anything like happening?

However much we all want the season to finish, and no matter how feasible it would be to do so before, say September, the single biggest issue is that so many players' contracts run out in May. With all those b****** agents out there ripping clubs off at the best of times, what do you think they're going to do in emergency contract extension negotiations?

I think the season is over.

Hope Uefa realise governments are not going to allow Champions League or Europa League football anytime soon.  Even if things are much improved by August/September are countries like Italy or Spain really going to risk allowing football teams from elsewhere over their borders until they are sure this thing is well and truly under control?  As for fans!

Even internal competitions could have problems.  Would Saints be allowed to sign Messi?  He has been playing in one of the worst affected countries.

5 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

There’s two decisions: 1/ End the season as-is. That’s the big and difficult one, which they will try to avoid. 2/ IF they end it as is, I can’t see how they wouldn’t use average points. It’s the only way to deal with games in hand, and is surely a no-brainer. It’s the second decision, which is obviously conditional on the first, that I’m talking about, I haven’t a clue about the first one, no one does, including the SPFFPLPFL. 

Which decision can you not see anything like happening?

I dont think theyll add points on anyone tallies, through average points.

4 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Uefa video conference today with all 55 member states to discuss champions league etc. 

Peoples safety is the most important thing, hope they make sensible decisions. 

I may we’ll be in a minority of one but I couldn’t care any less about the “Champions” League, or internationals. Same teams, same players, year after year.  That’s fine if you like it but I am completely disconnected from that scene in a way I’m not when I follow St Johnstone.

Given that it’s all about money I can see their priority. Old firm type control but on a bigger scale.

7 hours ago, sleepless said:

However much we all want the season to finish, and no matter how feasible it would be to do so before, say September, the single biggest issue is that so many players' contracts run out in May. With all those b****** agents out there ripping clubs off at the best of times, what do you think they're going to do in emergency contract extension negotiations?

I think the season is over.

I think that if there's to be any prospect of the season resuming, given the exceptional circumstances, there will have to be a one-off relaxation of rules around transfer windows and the number of clubs players can play for in a season. I don't see emergency contract extensions happening, because players wouldn't be under any obligation to sign them, so could still go and sign for someone else. So either clubs are allowed to include new signings in those remaining games, to replace the players who have left, or I just don't see how those matches will be possible.

17 hours ago, Cagey said:

I can't see how they'll possibly manage to do that. Playing behind closed doors might mean there are no crowds, but players, club staff, officials and media will all need to mix with each other in order for those games to go ahead, putting themselves and their families at risk. Why would they ever agree to do that? I can see the PFA etc standing in the way of that happening. (It would also mean that players and coaches would have to return to training in mid-April at least, which makes it even more unlikely).

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think that if there's to be any prospect of the season resuming, given the exceptional circumstances, there will have to be a one-off relaxation of rules around transfer windows and the number of clubs players can play for in a season. I don't see emergency contract extensions happening, because players wouldn't be under any obligation to sign them, so could still go and sign for someone else. So either clubs are allowed to include new signings in those remaining games, to replace the players who have left, or I just don't see how those matches will be possible.

I can't see how they'll possibly manage to do that. Playing behind closed doors might mean there are no crowds, but players, club staff, officials and media will all need to mix with each other in order for those games to go ahead, putting themselves and their families at risk. Why would they ever agree to do that? I can see the PFA etc standing in the way of that happening. (It would also mean that players and coaches would have to return to training in mid-April at least, which makes it even more unlikely).

Why would they do that . To save £762 million, Unless there is a huge drop in deaths there is no way the government would allow it anyway but EPL are desperate.

3 hours ago, andrew said:

I may we’ll be in a minority of one but I couldn’t care any less about the “Champions” League, or internationals. Same teams, same players, year after year.  That’s fine if you like it but I am completely disconnected from that scene in a way I’m not when I follow St Johnstone.

Given that it’s all about money I can see their priority. Old firm type control but on a bigger scale.

Couldn’t agree more.

Only interested in Scottish football and teams with ex saints players really.

3 hours ago, andrew said:

Thought it was worth mentioning as may have an impact on what happens here. 

They have been suspended indefinitely so not sure that helps here at all.

I preferred the old way where only the champions got in.