The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Not seen the article myself, but apparently lower league sides being asked to vote, with "points per game" being used to decide positions.

If accepted imagine top flights sides would go the same way.

As said, it would leave us in 6th.

But if Hearts and Sevco vote against it, presumably it can't happen? Not 100% sure on what the voting system is these days but that was how I understood it.

7 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

But if Hearts and Sevco vote against it, presumably it can't happen? Not 100% sure on what the voting system is these days but that was how I understood it.

Actually, just thinking Hibs might vote against it too as they'd lose their top 6 place. And possibly also Aberdeen who would miss out on top 3. On top of that a lot of clubs might feel that voting for a scenario that relegates Hearts wouldn't financially be in their best interests.

Whatever makes Sevco angriest is probably the best course of action, though.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

53 minutes ago, Widge said:

75% needed for the lower leagues, I assume it's still the case the top flight needs more than that?

Last I read it was still the 11-1 structure, so if two clubs vote against it then it fails.

This was created so the OF never get rules voted in against their benefit.

Clubs tried to change it with the switch to SPFL and Rangers dying and not getting a vote, but Aberdeen aligned themselves with Celtic and kept the 11-1 structure in place.

So no ruling is going to be passed easily, as Rangers and Hearts will both vote against every single thing that sees the season completed.

I'm not sure about Rangers to be honest, they and all their fans know there is no way they're going to catch Celtic and if they vote to stop the season as it is now, they can fall back on the old "tainted" title. It would also allow them to forever say how they graciously let Celtic have that title for the good of the nation and football and as such it's not really a proper title win.

If Milne was still in charge of Aberdeen, I'd wager it would have been them and Hearts voting against it, but McCormack seems pretty level headed and is actually looking at the long run for the league, so he may well just accept it. 

Budge is going to fight this all the way though. That being said if the SPFL get an 11-1 vote for the top league, then that is going to win and rule over anything she tries to do legally. As correct and easy as it sounds to get the clubs to all agree, the reality is there's always liable to be a curveball and it'll fail. 

1 minute ago, Widge said:

I'm not sure about Rangers to be honest, they and all their fans know there is no way they're going to catch Celtic

Judging by their fans on twitter and their forums, they really, really dont.

Plenty of chat about how theyll beat Celtic twice, obviously beat us, and theyll be within touching distance.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Judging by their fans on twitter and their forums, they really, really dont.

Plenty of chat about how theyll beat Celtic twice, obviously beat us, and theyll be within touching distance.

Sorry, missed out the words "sound of mind" and "realistic" from my first sentence. 

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/club-statement-furloughing-staff

Saints statement from today, correct decision. Albeit interesting that we've not furloughed all the players. Guess we've got enough in the bank/budgeted to continue to pay for some of them in the playing budget. From a slightly selfish point of view, by not furloughing some of the playing staff and paying them the same wage, it puts saints in a good light if you're a potential target/agent. Although who the ones not furloughed are and why is anyone guess.

If we get to the end of April without a resolution to the league or a clear idea of where it's going, suspect those players will be furloughed as well. 

Hopefully the next statement about how fans can aid saints and help them is a good one. Cause I suspect there's plenty of fans on here and worldwide who are keen to help in any way they can. 

Edited by Widge

Ohh and I know the website was playing up, so here it is in full.

First and foremost, the Club would like to send our best wishes to everyone during these difficult and unprecedented times.

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted all aspects of life and football is no exception. There are obviously some tough decisions to be made during this period of uncertainty while football remains suspended.

It is with this in mind that we can today announce that the Club has completed the process of furloughing the majority of non-playing staff at McDiarmid Park as part of the UK Government’s Job Retention Scheme.

We will continue to operate with a small number of core staff who will be working from home. We believe that this decision to furlough employees – while not easy – is the best option to maintain the sustainability and viability of our Club, and to protect our valued employees during these challenging times.

Additionally, after consultation with the Club’s football department, we have also completed the process of furloughing most of the playing squad and coaching staff. However, a designated number of the football department will be retained to continue carrying out Club and media duties.

All non-playing and playing staff will receive full pay for the month of April.

Head of Operations, Kirsten Robertson, said: “This is obviously a very difficult time for everyone and we’d like to thank all employees – both playing and non-playing – for their understanding and co-operation in an unprecedented situation.

“Staff have been working from home where possible since the stadium officially closed on Monday 23rd March. We have continued as close as possible with the day-to-day operations given the exceptional circumstances.

“The Club will maintain contact to check-in on the wellbeing of our employees and we will continue to update our supporters as and when more information becomes available.”

We have received many emails and calls from supporters looking to assist the Club during this difficult period which has seen our income stream severely impacted by the suspension of football.

We’d like to thank each and every one of our loyal fans for their continued support. The Club will be detailing how supporters can help in a second announcement later today.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Last I read it was still the 11-1 structure, so if two clubs vote against it then it fails.

This was created so the OF never get rules voted in against their benefit.

Clubs tried to change it with the switch to SPFL and Rangers dying and not getting a vote, but Aberdeen aligned themselves with Celtic and kept the 11-1 structure in place.

So no ruling is going to be passed easily, as Rangers and Hearts will both vote against every single thing that sees the season completed.

Think I'm wrong. A journalist saying only 9 votes needing in the top flight for a decision to be made.

Can only see Rangers and Hearts voting against using points per game, nobody else really affected.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Think I'm wrong. A journalist saying only 9 votes needing in the top flight for a decision to be made.

Can only see Rangers and Hearts voting against using points per game, nobody else really affected.

Was that 9 when it was a 10 team league. This has a long way to run as Dungcaster will not go against Rangers.

5 hours ago, Widge said:

75% needed for the lower leagues, I assume it's still the case the top flight needs more than that?

No it is beginning to look as though the 75% requirement applies to the top flight also.  2 or 3 reputable journalists seem to think so and I think the clincher is the petulant and contradictory statement issued by Sevco warning of severe consequences if the SPL is settled before all 38 games have been played.  They say they are dismayed that clubs will be relegated if this is voted through.  Do they really think we are all that stupid?

Court action has been threatened and it will be interesting to see who is prepared to stand up in court and give Sevco's real reason for objecting.  Claiming they have every chance of overtaking Celtic will simply be laughed out of court and I can't see even Donald Findlay advancing the argument "M'Lud my clients wish to state that in no circumstances should Celtic be declared champions until all 38 games have been played as they are a bunch of f*n%$n c*>ts."

4 hours ago, Widge said:

Although who the ones not furloughed are and why is anyone guess.

Think Liam Craig will still be kept on for his media work and also he is Chairman of the PFA so would need to continue those duties.

The others who are kept on would may be anyone that is injured or involved in media work, basically anyone who is still under the direction of the club.

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Actually, just thinking Hibs might vote against it too as they'd lose their top 6 place. And possibly also Aberdeen who would miss out on top 3. On top of that a lot of clubs might feel that voting for a scenario that relegates Hearts wouldn't financially be in their best interests.

Whatever makes Sevco angriest is probably the best course of action, though.

Statement O'clock - Ibrox

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-93/

A bullish statement in which they state that they won't stand for any tampering with rules or governance of the game. Delivered in their usual robust obnoxious fashion, in the interests of all clubs TRFC.

In my view they are basically saying that they won't accept anything that doesn't alleviate their own precarious situation.

Edited by Indicator

53 minutes ago, Indicator said:

A bullish statement in which they state that they won't stand for any tampering with rules or governance of the game. Delivered in their usual robust obnoxious fashion, in the interests of all clubs TRFC.

In my view they are basically saying that they won't accept anything that doesn't alleviate their own precarious situation.

But they are " the peepel".

More nonsense fae Jabba's  replacement to follow no doubt.

Wait for it a....DUP Councilor and Orange "worshipful master" ...:roll:....good to see all that bigoted anti- Catholic nonsense is firmly behind them.....oh well....maybe by 2225.

10 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Think Liam Craig will still be kept on for his media work and also he is Chairman of the PFA so would need to continue those duties.

The others who are kept on would may be anyone that is injured or involved in media work, basically anyone who is still under the direction of the club.

Jason is doing a weekly diary for the CLub so I suspect he will also be kept on. The manager and players that are doing the phone calls round pensioner season ticket holders will also have to be kept on books.

9 hours ago, Indicator said:

Johnston the former sevco chairman calling on Celtic having a note against the title if they were awarded it and only counting it as half a title. That will be similar to the 1890 title rangers show as one of their 54 which was a shared title with Dumbarton who would have won the title had goal difference been used.

17 hours ago, Indicator said:

I think the statement is aimed at the deluded.  I would not mind betting that another statement will follow soon offering some sort of deal on Season Ticket sales for 20/21.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Cagey said:

Sevco players taking a 3 month deferral on their wages. Taking a chance their team will still exist in 3 months. Debt £10 million + & counting.

I got sent this it’s not that true as it was sent to me March 16 but if Sevco are in trouble it might be close 

35A00705-0C44-4BB5-9195-36DAD866D70F.png

I'm actually getting to the stage where I'm no longer bothered if the season is finished. It's all ****ed now. Even if we do it in an artificial five or six week window it won't feel right.

Let's just start again in August.

(but I know the legal ramifications of that from Hearts et al.)

2 hours ago, sleepless said:

I'm actually getting to the stage where I'm no longer bothered if the season is finished. It's all ****ed now. Even if we do it in an artificial five or six week window it won't feel right.

Let's just start again in August.

(but I know the legal ramifications of that from Hearts et al.)

Totally get where you are coming from..

Starting in August....let's hope and pray.

We miss Saints.

This set in a context when we are not working, where our children are not at school, when rich football clubs demand tax payers help them. Profit and shareholders fly above us like eagles as our citizens die.  Priorities in Western capitalist nations are built on sand.

To achieve a return to football in August requires pragmatic solutions. This set amongst the current situation we fnd ourselves in amidst this appalling virus.  

Football is just secondary at the moment, but challenging questions require to be addressed in amongst an economic capitalist system built on profit and exploitation whilst nurses, shop workers, bus drivers etc risk their lives where some people can work from home and order food online.

Life, society and football must change.

On 4/9/2020 at 7:06 AM, mainstand said:

Johnston the former sevco chairman calling on Celtic having a note against the title if they were awarded it and only counting it as half a title. That will be similar to the 1890 title rangers show as one of their 54 which was a shared title with Dumbarton who would have won the title had goal difference been used.

Nice one main stand.

i was wondering when some one noticed the original rangers ,pre sevco had half a title win sharing the title with Dumbarton.

23 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I don't think we will be any closer to a decision by 5pm today. Too much self interest.

To be fair if Saints were in Hearts position I think they would vote against ending season now.

I'm sure Saints would do that too, and I don't have any problem with that - but I just wish clubs like Hearts and Sevco would acknowledge the fact that they don't want it to happen because of the impact it will have on their own clubs, instead of pretending that it's for the good of Scottish football or any other nonsense.

I still reckon that Hibs would be justified in joining them in voting against, so that they don't lose their top 6 place and don't lose their derby fixture.