The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

Celtic claiming there were MINOR slip-ups,  in my view in a global pandemic lockdown situation no slip ups can be considered to be minor. Celtic also saying no laws or rules were broken, crass stupidity and grievous irresponsibility not being against the rules I suppose they have a case even with the usual incompetence of the Scottish football authorities bias towards the old squirm.

37 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

Celtic claiming there were MINOR slip-ups,  in my view in a global pandemic lockdown situation no slip ups can be considered to be minor. Celtic also saying no laws or rules were broken, crass stupidity and grievous irresponsibility not being against the rules I suppose they have a case even with the usual incompetence of the Scottish football authorities bias towards the old squirm.

Spot on, Celtic deserve all the criticism that is coming their way - not least from their own supporters.  If they conducted the Covid testing with the utmost rigour they would have feared the worst on Friday night and then had the bad news confirmed on Saturday evening.  The minimal statement issued on Sunday, which did not even confirm that the player affected had been in Dubai, was probably intended to buy time whilst the phone and video links were overworked as they tried to lessen the effect of their problem.  

They may say they are disappointed with the decisions as they stand but looking at the list of players above who can play tonight they have been remarkably lucky.

I just can't get my head around why they thought a trip to Dubai was necessary. I understand that there are probably some benefits to it in their eyes, but surely, given the circumstances, someone should have decided that it was inappropriate? They have better training facilities than most/all of their rival clubs right here in Scotland - couldn't they have just carried on using those for just this year? It's just such idiocy, regardless of whether any laws/guidelines were actually broken.

On a different point: anyone else of the opinion that we're heading towards all of this dragging into next season? At what point will we start seeing clubs saying that they just can't go on like this, with no supporters coming in through the gates? I'm actually amazed it hasn't happened already. The fact that football is just ploughing on throughout all this, with very little complaint (not to mention the fact that fans continue to demand that their clubs carry on blindly chucking money around on new signings in the transfer window as if everything's perfectly normal) has become more mind-boggling as the weeks have gone on.

8 minutes ago, south inch said:

Spot on, Celtic deserve all the criticism that is coming their way - not least from their own supporters.  If they conducted the Covid testing with the utmost rigour they would have feared the worst on Friday night and then had the bad news confirmed on Saturday evening.  The minimal statement issued on Sunday, which did not even confirm that the player affected had been in Dubai, was probably intended to buy time whilst the phone and video links were overworked as they tried to lessen the effect of their problem.  

They may say they are disappointed with the decisions as they stand but looking at the list of players above who can play tonight they have been remarkably lucky.

Do you think maybe Celtic thought we have to list a few contacts as nobody would believe that no one was near Julien so they picked the players who would not be playing.

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Do you think maybe Celtic thought we have to list a few contacts as nobody would believe that no one was near Julien so they picked the players who would not be playing.

No I do not think they would lie. It is possible that Julien spent more time with the lesser lights because he was injured but I don't know.  The seating arrangements on the plane would have been important I think.

34 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I just can't get my head around why they thought a trip to Dubai was necessary. I understand that there are probably some benefits to it in their eyes, but surely, given the circumstances, someone should have decided that it was inappropriate? They have better training facilities than most/all of their rival clubs right here in Scotland - couldn't they have just carried on using those for just this year? It's just such idiocy, regardless of whether any laws/guidelines were actually broken.

On a different point: anyone else of the opinion that we're heading towards all of this dragging into next season? At what point will we start seeing clubs saying that they just can't go on like this, with no supporters coming in through the gates? I'm actually amazed it hasn't happened already. The fact that football is just ploughing on throughout all this, with very little complaint (not to mention the fact that fans continue to demand that their clubs carry on blindly chucking money around on new signings in the transfer window as if everything's perfectly normal) has become more mind-boggling as the weeks have gone on.

Look at the timing - between the group and knockout stages in Europe. This was apparently booked months ago. Optimistic, as well as inappropriate.

57 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but does anyone know if the League Cup is affected by the partial shutdown in Scottish football?

Oops, just realised the semis are in January not February.  I have a bad record with the League Cup, I forgot it even existed in another thread.

I think it's touch and go for this season. Much will depend on what happens in the next few weeks. I must agree with Blue Heavens post the whole thing is becoming shambolic and if there were a major outbreak amongst the clubs the whole season would have to go on hold.

I understand the financial implications of at least getting some income from pay per view but I just have no appetite for this set up. Who wants to watch their team win a cup on their laptop with no friends or family around them ?

Maybe we should suspend the League Cup Final to next season when hopefully fans can attend.

Edited by Bruno Strasser
more

11 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

The number of cases is starting to come down in Scotland. We MAY have passed the worst. Death rates and hospitalisations should start falling very rapidly in March. There’s plenty of hope yet.

Did Sturgeon tell you that & are you taking into account that Monday is not a true reflection.

41 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

The number of cases is starting to come down in Scotland. We MAY have passed the worst. Death rates and hospitalisations should start falling very rapidly in March. There’s plenty of hope yet.

I wish I shared your oprimism.

Test positivity is 11 percent you can't go completely by number of positives as it depends how many tests we have. 

Number in hospital increasing and no in ICU also increased. 

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

March is 6 weeks away.  My daughter, who is a nurse, says hospital's are on their knees now.