The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

11 hours ago, Cagey said:

I note that Rangers have claimed £3.2 mil interest free SG  loan due to the effects of Covid.

All other premiership clubs have claimed except Celtic.

You can only claim against Covid related losses so I presume that is why Rangers have received more than the average £2 mil per team.

Will we ever see that £3.2 mil back in the government coffers as there is no way this club will avoid administration.

How's it calculated? Saints could legitimately claim a lot given the cup successes?

2 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

How's it calculated? Saints could legitimately claim a lot given the cup successes?

Think it is down to the money lost due to covid. Hence Rangers losing crowds of 50000 . Saints losing crowds of 4000.

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

I note that Rangers have claimed £3.2 mil interest free SG  loan due to the effects of Covid.

All other premiership clubs have claimed except Celtic.

You can only claim against Covid related losses so I presume that is why Rangers have received more than the average £2 mil per team.

Will we ever see that £3.2 mil back in the government coffers as there is no way this club will avoid administration.

Fair question and I think you have answered it.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Would we really want to? The more we claim, the more we put ourselves in debt. I'd have thought Saints will be very wary of this.

It’s an interest free loan. Money in the bank generates interest (albeit not much). 

pretty sure we’ll be utilising this well. 

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

It’s an interest free loan. Money in the bank generates interest (albeit not much). 

pretty sure we’ll be utilising this well. 

agreed, and I think you have a long number of years to pay in back...10/20 or something. Stick it in the bank and get some interest off it.  

1 hour ago, Papa Jack said:

agreed, and I think you have a long number of years to pay in back...10/20 or something. Stick it in the bank and get some interest off it.  

The amount of teams that are in financial trouble,I would leave off paying it back as long as possible as I can see it being written off by a future government as 2 or 3 will not be in a position to pay it back.

I'm assuming from the photos of Rooney enjoying himself with the Tartan Army that all the restrictions on the squad have been completely lifted for the summer. I'm wondering, will they be put back into enforced lockdowns and bubbles when pre-season training resumes, or are the players basically back to normal life now?

Billy Gilmour getting Covid shows that the potential issue is still there for players and it could still cause problems for teams next season if players need to isolate.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm assuming from the photos of Rooney enjoying himself with the Tartan Army that all the restrictions on the squad have been completely lifted for the summer. I'm wondering, will they be put back into enforced lockdowns and bubbles when pre-season training resumes, or are the players basically back to normal life now?

Billy Gilmour getting Covid shows that the potential issue is still there for players and it could still cause problems for teams next season if players need to isolate.

Of course they are, after the exertions of the players and the sacrifices they made throughout the season they deserve a break to do as they wish. As long as they're okay for pre season and the European games of course.

3 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Of course they are, after the exertions of the players and the sacrifices they made throughout the season they deserve a break to do as they wish. As long as they're okay for pre season and the European games of course.

Better for them to catch the virus in the close season & start the new season with immunity.

2 hours ago, chips said:

Potential partial return to stadiums from 19th July...tbh the way things are just now with rising cases I can't see Scotland (or parts) going into level 0 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57571009

Pretty soon a decision will have to be made as to when we just decide to live with this, and open up. My guess is once they get to 80-85% vaccination, they will gradually do so. I think some restrictions will be kept for quite a while though, and to be honest, letting huge crowds pack together to watch football is probably not the best idea for a while yet. But I hope there’s a sensible approach to part-opening and some of us can get in.

8 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Pretty soon a decision will have to be made as to when we just decide to live with this, and open up. My guess is once they get to 80-85% vaccination, they will gradually do so. I think some restrictions will be kept for quite a while though, and to be honest, letting huge crowds pack together to watch football is probably not the best idea for a while yet. But I hope there’s a sensible approach to part-opening and some of us can get in.

As long as Saints TV are still showing home matches live then can wait till it all opens up again.

Scotland is aiming to remove all of its major legal Covid restrictions in early August, the country's first minister has announced.

Nicola Sturgeon was speaking as she confirmed lockdown easing would be paused for three weeks to allow more time for people to be vaccinated.

It means mainland areas will not move to the lowest level zero restrictions until 19 July.

The hope is that the remaining rules will be lifted on 9 August.

Ms Sturgeon said this would allow life in Scotland to return to "almost complete normality".    BBC

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Scotland is aiming to remove all of its major legal Covid restrictions in early August, the country's first minister has announced.

Nicola Sturgeon was speaking as she confirmed lockdown easing would be paused for three weeks to allow more time for people to be vaccinated.

It means mainland areas will not move to the lowest level zero restrictions until 19 July.

The hope is that the remaining rules will be lifted on 9 August.

Ms Sturgeon said this would allow life in Scotland to return to "almost complete normality".    BBC

Bollocks

Be interesting what/when Saints do to celebrate the double. Be weird doing it during the following season. It'd also be good for the council to get people out for the day to celebrate. As for fans returning to games, who knows, but I'm more concerned about positive tests in the squad. We just pulled through last season and even with measures in place, it could create real shit. Mind you, it's a risk all clubs face, so we're not alone.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-57732436

"Finance Secretary Kate Forbes said the plan was for Scotland to move to level zero on 19 July, with remaining legal restrictions lifted on 9 August.

"We are lifting the limits and lifting as much of the legal restrictions as possible. So that means physical distancing, it means the attendee caps on, for example, life events like weddings or being in stadiums and that kind of thing.""

On 6/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, Melbourne Saint said:

Fair amount. Guessing a lot off that will be earmarked for ground/stadium upkeep over the years? You can't really knock back an interest free loan. I wonder what clubs had to do to apply? Would require a heck of a lot of work by the bean counters. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:34 PM, garydavidson said:

On 6/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, Melbourne Saint said:

Fair amount. Guessing a lot off that will be earmarked for ground/stadium upkeep over the years? You can't really knock back an interest free loan. I wonder what clubs had to do to apply? Would require a heck of a lot of work by the bean counters. 

The last article I saw said that a number of the club's had still to draw the money down. 

• 2 months later...