The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

16 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I’m not sure if everyone understands how infectious this thing is. In a few weeks, there might be hardly a team in Scotland able to field 11 professionals. Which would make arguments about spectator limits fairly irrelevant. Both the EPL and SPFL seem fairly close to calling a halt. I think the only thing stopping them is that there’s no clarity on whether they will be able to hold any games later on.

In places where its already rife its pretty much gone a month after its appeared. London for example is already sering a decline in cases before any restrictions.

Most estimates I see has us past the peak already, and restrictions simply prolonging the whole thing rather than just letting it burn out.

It's more transmissible as it can bypass a part of the vaccine, but the vaccine still prevents serious illness + this strain is less dangerous anyway.

Teams not being able to field teams will be down to self isolation rules around families, rather than the actual virus.

Edited by RandomGuy

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

In places where its already rife its pretty much gone a month after its appeared. London for example is already sering a decline in cases before any restrictions.

Most estimates I see has us past the peak already, and restrictions simply prolonging the whole thing rather than just letting it burn out.

It's more transmissible as it can bypass a part of the vaccine, but the vaccine still prevents serious illness + this strain is less dangerous anyway.

Teams not being able to field teams will be down to self isolation rules around families, rather than the actual virus.

Yes, most players who miss games will be in self-isolation rather than ill. But if you’re in self-isolation, it’s because of the virus. Obviously.

Yes, this mutation may be less serious. But as explained in an earlier post, this doesn’t really help the NHS if infection numbers are much, much higher.

Be wary of rates falling. The informed view seems to be this is because the public are way ahead of governments, and are self-restricting already. In many families, voluntary lockdown is in place. Hence the problems already in the hospitality sector, and all the anecdotal evidence of cancelled christmases (including ours, for what it’s worth). This happened during the first outbreak as well.

The peak is anticipated at mid - late January. I hope you’re right, but I don’t think you are. It’s quite possible spectator levels won’t return to normal this season.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Why don't Rangers want it?

Probably as otherd say because Celtic do.

Probably because they want an empty Parkhead.

I think it's to do with them being short of s couple of players at African Nations cup or something like that in January.

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think it's to do with them being short of s couple of players at African Nations cup or something like that in January.

I saw rangers fans mention that, combined with Celtic currently having injuries which will clear up in time for rearranged games so they see it as a disadvantage to Rangers.

34 minutes ago, Sergei said:

Also Rangers will never get over their 'relegation' in 2012 and are hell bent on causing as much disruption to the SPFL as possible. 

Rangers were not relegated in 2012. They were liquidated, just like Third Lanark and Gretna.

The current version was a work of fiction conjured up to ensure the continuation of the OF franchise.                                                            [The SFA's Top Secret 5-way agreement.]

In short - a licence to shaft the fans of all other clubs.

Edited by Indicator

4 minutes ago, Indicator said:

Rangers were not relegated in 2012. They were liquidated, just like Third Lanark and Gretna.

The current version was a work of fiction conjured up to ensure the continuation of the OF franchise.                                                            [The SFA's Top Secret 5-way agreement.]

In short - a licence to shaft the fans of all other clubs.

I am fully aware of what happened in 2012 which is why I put 'relegation' and not just relegation. In their minds and their sycophants they were relegated. Everyone else knows they died.

1 hour ago, Indicator said:

Apologies Sergei missed the '.....' - will have to do better. :oops:

No problem thanks. Have to say I did like your response apart from the obvious. It's our responsibility as true football fans to keep the truth alive and never let the campaign for history to be rewritten succeed. :)

4 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Probably due to the fact that Celtic are for it. Think the old firm game is due to be at Parkhead as well.

As we used to say in the Civil Service - "lets take the broad view, how does the situation affect our interests"!  I think Rangers scent blood, Celtic have a lot of injuries and an empty Parkhead at New Year would suit them fine.  If the St Mirren game tonight is off they remain 7 points to the good and points on the board are always better than those in the bush.

They might run up an extra debt or two but when did that ever worry the Ayebroke bosses.