Linky

The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Blueheaven, i know its no the banter page but lighten up mate.

 

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

You haven't said anything funny (or anything that makes sense), but OK. :roll:

Gee, you mean you've just found that out? ;)

Give him a red card.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cagey said:

Why would they do that . To save £762 million, Unless there is a huge drop in deaths there is no way the government would allow it anyway but EPL are desperate.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why the people running the EPL clubs might want that to happen - but it doesn't mean players and staff will be willing to put themselves at risk by going along with it. Liam Craig has already come out in his role as PFA chairman in Scotland and said basically the same thing that I said: players aren't willing to do it.

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/18350412.footballers-scotland-dont-want-play-behind-closed-doors-says-st-johnstone-ace-pfa-chairman-liam-craig/

Same goes for the TV channels: they might want these matches to happen so that they can get their viewers back, but how will they film, present and broadcast these matches without putting their production crews and staff at risk? Again, it just doesn't seem possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

County and United have placed all playing staff on furlough, Hearts and Hibs have gone for wage cuts - surely Saints will need to do something shortly?

Yeah,I don't think they have any option but to furlough, There will be at least another 2 months of paying Quite a large wage bill. With there be to many on the staff earning a great deal more than £2,500 a month after tax ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

County and United have placed all playing staff on furlough, Hearts and Hibs have gone for wage cuts - surely Saints will need to do something shortly?

Interesting that Saints have been so quiet. Ironically, given how well his last interview went down, this would be a time where I'd quite like to hear Steve Brown speak publicly about all this.

I see Dundee United are talking about getting season tickets out as soon as possible, even though they don't know what next season's format will be or even what league they'll be in. Getting some sort of season ticket package out now could be a good way for Saints to bring in a bit of income, especially if it came with some creative incentives for buying early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, south inch said:

I see from the official Saints' website that the Hamilton game has not yet been postponed.  The match countdown feature is down to one day before kick off!  I hope the game will be called off in plenty time, we don't want any unnecessary travel in these difficult times.

Only an idiot would travel to a game just because a clock on a website said it was on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cagey said:

Yeah,I don't think they have any option but to furlough, There will be at least another 2 months of paying Quite a large wage bill. With there be to many on the staff earning a great deal more than £2,500 a month after tax ?.

From all reports it is the bonuses that seem to be the best bit of the contracts Saints hand out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Interesting that Saints have been so quiet. Ironically, given how well his last interview went down, this would be a time where I'd quite like to hear Steve Brown speak publicly about all this.

I'd rather never have him speak about Saints in the media again, tbh.

Dont see why Saints need to say anything about wages. As for an update on the situation, theres not much they can really say as nothing's been decided yet, we'll get a statement once the clubs decide as a whole what's happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the shutdown I would like to highlight what Gavin Price is doing.Once on our books 1997 now Elgin manager,many will know him as manager at Kinnoul and Jeanfield.In Aberfeldy where he is a prominent publican he has founded FeldyRoo and has a willing band of volunteers.   They provide a service to almost one hundred vulnerable people in the town and district by delivering for free EVERY day a morning paper,soup and a roll mid morning,then a home cooked meal at teatime.Many local businesses are also providing food, time. and transport.You can check out their FB page and I think you will be impressed.

Many of the football family are doing their bit and it is to be applauded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd rather never have him speak about Saints in the media again, tbh.

Dont see why Saints need to say anything about wages. As for an update on the situation, theres not much they can really say as nothing's been decided yet, we'll get a statement once the clubs decide as a whole what's happening.

Most other clubs, of all sizes, are starting to come out now to update fans on how the situation is affecting them and what their plans are for getting through it. I don't think it's unreasonable to think Saints might do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Only an idiot would travel to a game just because a clock on a website said it was on 

Didn't think anyone would think my wee dig at this strange oversight on the official website meant I believed it. Best to delete it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cagey said:

Yeah,I don't think they have any option but to furlough, There will be at least another 2 months of paying Quite a large wage bill. With there be to many on the staff earning a great deal more than £2,500 a month after tax ?.

That’s not a huge wage. I’d have thought all of our first team would be on that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

That’s not a huge wage. I’d have thought all of our first team would be on that 

I would think most first team would be on more than £2500.00 but I was thinking the biggest majority of those employed by Saints wouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, Cagey said:

Yeah,I don't think they have any option but to furlough, There will be at least another 2 months of paying Quite a large wage bill. With there be to many on the staff earning a great deal more than £2,500 a month after tax ?.

It was interesting to hear Dave Cormack from Aberdeen saying that he felt that, because players were still training, they couldn’t be furloughed. Probably sums up how confusing the whole thing is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Papa Jack said:

It was interesting to hear Dave Cormack from Aberdeen saying that he felt that, because players were still training, they couldn’t be furloughed. Probably sums up how confusing the whole thing is. 

My understanding is that if they are given any plans or instructions they can't be furloughed. If they are training using a club training plan or even meal plan they can't be furloughed. In an office environment reading an email is considered a breach of the rules.

You need to cut the players off to work by themselves which I am sure they should be able to do by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

My understanding is that if they are given any plans or instructions they can't be furloughed. If they are training using a club training plan or even meal plan they can't be furloughed. In an office environment reading an email is considered a breach of the rules.

You need to cut the players off to work by themselves which I am sure they should be able to do by now.

You would think that would preclude teams from furloughing any players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

My understanding is that if they are given any plans or instructions they can't be furloughed. If they are training using a club training plan or even meal plan they can't be furloughed. In an office environment reading an email is considered a breach of the rules.

You need to cut the players off to work by themselves which I am sure they should be able to do by now.

I suppose it would depend if you also furloughed the sports scientist and the players did a plan using his knowledge and understanding as a friend and not on behalf of the club.

 

Interesting discussion on BBC Scotland today where Neil McCann wanted an additional 2 teams brought in to save Hearts.

if they play each other twice then split into 2 sevens, give you a total of 32 matches. or 38 if playing each other home and away this would please Sky who require 4 old firm matches. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I suppose it would depend if you also furloughed the sports scientist and the players did a plan using his knowledge and understanding as a friend and not on behalf of the club.

 

 

That is true, although we know the players are still “working” for the club....media stuff, q&a’s, phone calls etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't really see what SB can say that would be of any value. I'm sure the club will be looking at furlough, but what else can he say? Statements from the club are a waste of time, especially when FIFA, UEFA & SFA don't know what to do as they don't know how long this will go on for or whether to scrap the season or re-start the season at a future point. There's a hell of a lot of money riding on this eitherway. Be interesting to see if transfer fees drop as clubs struggle financially & need cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...