Linky

The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Recommended Posts

Is this time to reshape our game.   Call this current time off as the close season.    When ready to resume, May?? have 4 weeks training (pre-season)   then complete the fixtures, or start a new season...

If we complete 19-20 season we have a period of say 2 weeks to sort out the next season fixtures and play summer football.

In that 2 week break you could have 2 or 3 rounds of league cup, lucky dip draw, no seeding and everyone in the hat.

Play right through summer.   Time to change!    Trial summer league.   Can implement a step change approach so come 2022 we are committed to summer football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this posted, 

HOW TO SAVE THE SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE SEASON

Britain has two aircraft carriers with no planes for them, because we're idiots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier

The flight deck is 284 x 73m, they each have a crew compliment of 679. And they're not doing anything.

284x73m, twice, is comfortably four football pitches.

20 Premier League teams, squads of 25, that's 500. Let's say each team gets an allowance of another 25 staff. 1,000, with 358 left over. Plenty of room for camera crew, technical sorts.

Two week testing and quarantine period, we move the Scottish Premier League off-shore, I collect my OBE for services to British sports. It'll be called the PremierSHIP. Done.

Edited by MySpazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave H said:

Is this time to reshape our game.   Call this current time off as the close season.    When ready to resume, May?? have 4 weeks training (pre-season)   then complete the fixtures, or start a new season...

If we complete 19-20 season we have a period of say 2 weeks to sort out the next season fixtures and play summer football.

In that 2 week break you could have 2 or 3 rounds of league cup, lucky dip draw, no seeding and everyone in the hat.

Play right through summer.   Time to change!    Trial summer league.   Can implement a step change approach so come 2022 we are committed to summer football.

Been saying summer football for years,who wants to go watch saints in cold frostie nights,or beautiful sunny days like the start of the season, won't happen long term, bookies don't want it,we would get better TV deal etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slambrother said:

Imagine if the season was to be declared null or void.  Hearts could stay up and Dundee United would spend yet another year in the championship!

Silver lining to every cloud!!!

And Dundee cannot get up through the play-offs

Edited by Cagerf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, garydavidson said:

As you know, that is what armature football is for - you can't run a professional league without fans. 

Come now, football is a very minor matter when it comes to lives being lost.

There was absolutely no need for anyone at the club to say they were disappointed unless they were completely unaware of how this virus progresses. Look at the statement from Klopp - "football is the most important of the least important things". Being disappointed that people are trying to safeguard others feels short sighted to me.

The cancellation of football on Saturday on it's own would not have saved life's as all that happened was that these fans went shopping or into pubs instead. 

Football being cancelled should have been part of a coordinated response which it is not.  I bet there were more people in night clubs and shopping centres within an enclosed rea than there would have been in the saints section at Easter road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dave H said:

Is this time to reshape our game.   Call this current time off as the close season.    When ready to resume, May?? have 4 weeks training (pre-season)   then complete the fixtures, or start a new season...

If we complete 19-20 season we have a period of say 2 weeks to sort out the next season fixtures and play summer football.

In that 2 week break you could have 2 or 3 rounds of league cup, lucky dip draw, no seeding and everyone in the hat.

Play right through summer.   Time to change!    Trial summer league.   Can implement a step change approach so come 2022 we are committed to summer football.

Absolutely no way large gatherings will resume by May. August is more realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

am I missing something, I don’t really think there was anything wrong with the club using the word disappointed at all.  

obviously, peoples lives and safeguarding people is a priority but you can still be disappointed surely??

i was disappointed the Hibs game was cancelled.  I was looking forward to the game, had a family day out planned, drinks on the train through etc etc. Do I understand the rationale for it though? Of course I do.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see further statements of disappointment from the club either due to revenue loss etc

surely people are entitled to express a feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, garydavidson said:

There was absolutely no need for anyone at the club to say they were disappointed unless they were completely unaware of how this virus progresses. Look at the statement from Klopp - "football is the most important of the least important things". Being disappointed that people are trying to safeguard others feels short sighted to me.

The point could be made that getting so worked up about how the club phrased a statement when the situation is so serious is a bit over-the-top. You could also take issue with what Klopp said, which would suggest he might be disappointed that the games have been cancelled.  "Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 5:37 PM, garydavidson said:

 

Contrast it with this statement: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/390397-jurgen-klopp-message-to-supporters

When there are such grave consequences I don't think disappointment about a football match comes into it. 

Maybe we just have different priorities at this time.

From the club who said that life and death was less important than football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 1:47 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Cash in bank on last report and accounts:

Hamilton 120k

Livi 206k

County 266k

Well 476k

Fake saints 502k

Jam tarts 591k

New rangers 1.03m

Killie 1.15m

Dons 2.01m

Our wee team 2.17m

Hibees 4.2m

Green monster bulging biscuit tin overflowing with cash. 

With substantial running costs, off field income will be critical, can't see banks being allowed to keep clubs going, can see redundancies happening quickly at some clubs in both playing and non playing staff. 

Much as I slag of the Brown's for lack of communication you can't help but thank them with their financial prudence. 

There's 9 SPFL clubs in a worse cash position than ours. 

Scarry times for Scottish football. 

It's the net cash position which matters ie cash in bank less debts and overdraft.

Saints are probably only team in league with positive net cash position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Absolutely no way large gatherings will resume by May. August is more realistic.

Not sure the country can self isolate, work from home and do nothing till August.     Country is just delaying the Covid-19 so there is less overlap with the seasonal flu so NHS have more beds available during the summer months, delaying it till Autumn would be crazy.  Can't shut down for months on end waiting on a vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Crossest Man In Scotland said:

It's the net cash position which matters ie cash in bank less debts and overdraft.

Saints are probably only team in league with positive net cash position.

Agree cash is only one measure but cash is what is needed just now. I'm sure all business's will be delaying paying their debts to retain cash as long as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Not sure the country can self isolate, work from home and do nothing till August.     Country is just delaying the Covid-19 so there is less overlap with the seasonal flu so NHS have more beds available during the summer months, delaying it till Autumn would be crazy.  Can't shut down for months on end waiting on a vaccine.

Watch this space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that there looks to be a fairly long break I suggests that the powers that be should be planning ahead for next season and the season after that. It occurs to me we could finish this season whenever the break is over and from there, perhaps it could be September, plan a shortened season that finishes at the usual time. Perhaps playing each other only twice, home and away. 
there would be no legal ramifications of a ‘cancelled’ or ‘as of now’ season and given the situation is similar across Europe, something could be sorted for the euro competitions etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Saw this posted, 

HOW TO SAVE THE SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE SEASON

Britain has two aircraft carriers with no planes for them, because we're idiots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth-class_aircraft_carrier

The flight deck is 284 x 73m, they each have a crew compliment of 679. And they're not doing anything.

284x73m, twice, is comfortably four football pitches.

20 Premier League teams, squads of 25, that's 500. Let's say each team gets an allowance of another 25 staff. 1,000, with 358 left over. Plenty of room for camera crew, technical sorts.

Two week testing and quarantine period, we move the Scottish Premier League off-shore, I collect my OBE for services to British sports. It'll be called the PremierSHIP. Done.

There's not enough SPFL official balls in the world to allow for Zanders kicking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mainstand said:

I can understand why they have cancelled football but I would have rather seen them dictating that the clubs played all games behind closed doors first.

I would state now that the league will stops after 33 games with everyone playing each other 3 times.

I also think there is a way of promoting the game and seeing the season out and that is by utilising the indoor national performance centre at the Oriam.

6 games one after the other on a  single day, No fans, televised on a pay per view channel.

As for the comments by Klopp and :Lennon I think the important thing is that both did say it was the right decision to stop football. Some of the headlines about Lennon didn't seem to match up with what he said.

 

 

Do players not catch coronavirus from each other like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Do players not catch coronavirus from each other like?

Yes but what did you do yesterday walk along the main Street going shopping go to the pub? The chances of contracting it in a game won't be any more than walking down the street in addition to which I guess clubs will be testing players where as you I and the vast majority of the public won't be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, Abernethy Saint said:

Neil Lennon seemed to suggest that, if they finished the league now, final places would be on an average points per game basis. That would put us sixth, by about 0.01 of a point. No other way round the games in hand thing.

There are loads of suggestions on Sportsound and other discussion programmes as to how best deal with the current problem.  The only common factor I have noted is the oft repeated phrase "it will depend on discussions with the TV companies".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...