Linky

The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

Given the way things are at the moment I think we will be doing well to see more than a handful of games at McDiarmid. A lot will depend on the Covid figures post Christmas and New Year. If they spike again we might be lucky to see any at all.  Our last game at Home was against Livingstone on 7th March. A year without Live football looks to be a distinct possibility. 

Small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Re the grants/Loans etc, it would be great to see the top flight clubs and players show some solidarity with lower league clubs. If say Celtic players each game up a days wages, that would probably save a club or two at least.

If, say Saints do not need our potential loan, what a great gesture it would be if the club actually took it and in turn lent it on to clubs like Forfar/Montrose etc that for years we have had good relationships re loaning out players. Could badge it as a development agreement in that we can send players on loan and have first refusal on young players.

As a football fan, I'd be gutted if a lower league club went under as a result of covid when a few grand or a ST loan could have saved them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Re the grants/Loans etc, it would be great to see the top flight clubs and players show some solidarity with lower league clubs. If say Celtic players each game up a days wages, that would probably save a club or two at least.

If, say Saints do not need our potential loan, what a great gesture it would be if the club actually took it and in turn lent it on to clubs like Forfar/Montrose etc that for years we have had good relationships re loaning out players. Could badge it as a development agreement in that we can send players on loan and have first refusal on young players.

As a football fan, I'd be gutted if a lower league club went under as a result of covid when a few grand or a ST loan could have saved them. 

I thought they all got grants while we got loans that need paying back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

I thought they all got grants while we got loans that need paying back? 

Premiership teams get loans, but at the BoE base rate, so as good as interest free. What I mean is that we take the loan and then lend it on.

What isn't clear is what happens to a team that takes the premiership loan and is then relegated. Could either be an advantage over peers if it was banked or a disadvantage if needing paid back while peers dont have too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2020 at 12:54 PM, TheYellowBox said:

Premiership teams get loans, but at the BoE base rate, so as good as interest free. What I mean is that we take the loan and then lend it on.

What isn't clear is what happens to a team that takes the premiership loan and is then relegated. Could either be an advantage over peers if it was banked or a disadvantage if needing paid back while peers dont have too. 

The loans would need paid back as they are in premier League at time of taking out the loan but as you say not fair that the other leagues are getting  grants.

Will be interesting to see who the loans are with as it looked like the money was going to SFA/spfl to distribute. Also not clear over how many years and if the loan will be directly with the sg. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SFA apparently taking no action against Celtic for allegedly sitting by a poolside drinking beer & not social distancing.

This as well as being allowed to move Hibs game to Monday despite Hibs objections in order to holiday in Dubai.

Just reinforces believe there is one rule for OF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cagey said:

SFA apparently taking no action against Celtic for allegedly sitting by a poolside drinking beer & not social distancing.

This as well as being allowed to move Hibs game to Monday despite Hibs objections in order to holiday in Dubai.

Just reinforces believe there is one rule for OF.

Unless Celtic can point to something more recent than approval for their Dubai trip dated 12 November they cannot be allowed to escape scot free for their actions.  The Government should impose a 10 day isolation period on their entire party.  If they baulk at that for whatever reason then at the very least the whole lot of them should be made to take the full Covid test at an NHS site on arrival back in Glasgow with isolations to follow if a single positive test results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, south inch said:

Unless Celtic can point to something more recent than approval for their Dubai trip dated 12 November they cannot be allowed to escape scot free for their actions.  The Government should impose a 10 day isolation period on their entire party.  If they baulk at that for whatever reason then at the very least the whole lot of them should be made to take the full Covid test at an NHS site on arrival back in Glasgow with isolations to follow if a single positive test results.

This whole Celtic thing is getting ludicrous. The aSFA and Scot gov knew about it Christ the whole world knew about it before they went away. If it was such a big problem.then why did Jason leitch and swinney etc not  pipe up before they left. Sure leitch has a weekly slot on off the ball. 

Now that there is a bit of an outcry, mainly caused by them losing on Saturday, politicians are doing what politicians do best and playing to the masses. 

The funny thing according to reports I saw at the weekend is that's the alleged photo of brown and Lennon sitting at a pool.which was suppose to be taken by a rangers fan on holiday at the same hotel was said to have actually been taken in France in summer. 

Also if clubs should not be going for training camps etc why did they allow rangers and Celtic to go to France in a pre season tournament when France was fighting the virus and in lockdown at the time. 

 

 

Edited by mainstand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, south inch said:

Unless Celtic can point to something more recent than approval for their Dubai trip dated 12 November they cannot be allowed to escape scot free for their actions.  The Government should impose a 10 day isolation period on their entire party.  If they baulk at that for whatever reason then at the very least the whole lot of them should be made to take the full Covid test at an NHS site on arrival back in Glasgow with isolations to follow if a single positive test results.

Why should the NHS have to pay for it, dont believe in private health but on this occasion they should be made to pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Why should the NHS have to pay for it, dont believe in private health but on this occasion they should be made to pay for it.

Think they are actually doing testing themselves, the same as Saints and Ross County. Celtic bought three of the machines due to numbers requiring testing. I think you will find they will be getting tested out there as they have to register negative tests with SPFl 48 hours prior to a match. 

Edited by mainstand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Why should the NHS have to pay for it, dont believe in private health but on this occasion they should be made to pay for it.

Fair enough Sixties so long as the tests are conducted away from Celtic's own system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mainstand said:

This whole Celtic thing is getting ludicrous. The aSFA and Scot gov knew about it Christ the whole world knew about it before they went away. If it was such a big problem.then why did Jason leitch and swinney etc not  pipe up before they left. Sure leitch has a weekly slot on off the ball. 

Now that there is a bit of an outcry, mainly caused by them losing on Saturday, politicians are doing what politicians do best and playing to the masses. 

The outcry is because Celtic are blatantly ignoring rules and guidance the rest of us are complying with.  I have family in England and could easily nip down to see them, one daughter just lives in Newcastle, but I choose to obey the guidance because it is what I have been asked to do with good reason.

Celtic knew fine what the position was they should not need to be told.  The Government should put them to the trouble of independent testing before they are allowed to play another game.  The SPFL could not run a booze up in a brewery - allowing Celtic to delay their game with Hibs when next week could have been used to catch up on one of their postponed fixtures! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As was said before the Government knew well in advance they were going as did the SPFL (who change a fixture to assist). Either could have stopped them traveling but neither did. So as well as condemning Celtic they should be condemning themselves for failing to act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays Government warning on COVID-19 in United Arab Emirates
Based on currently available information, there is a moderate risk of exposure to COVID-19 in this country. All travellers should carefully consider the risks of exposure to COVID-19 before travel to this country. This is particularly important in those in clinically extremely vulnerable groups who may wish to seek advice before travel.

Please note that the risk category for this country has recently been downgraded, and while case numbers have been decreasing, this may change quickly. This is being monitored; please check the outbreaks tab and this site regularly for any updates to advice.

It states nothing about isolation on return. May be Nicola will make it law before they return

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Todays Government warning on COVID-19 in United Arab Emirates
Based on currently available information, there is a moderate risk of exposure to COVID-19 in this country. All travellers should carefully consider the risks of exposure to COVID-19 before travel to this country. This is particularly important in those in clinically extremely vulnerable groups who may wish to seek advice before travel.

Please note that the risk category for this country has recently been downgraded, and while case numbers have been decreasing, this may change quickly. This is being monitored; please check the outbreaks tab and this site regularly for any updates to advice.

It states nothing about isolation on return. May be Nicola will make it law before they return

Is it not the case that you should isolate for 10 days when returning from any country ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Is it not the case that you should isolate for 10 days when returning from any country ?.

Celtic travelled to the United Arab Emirates on Saturday just hours after their 1-0 defeat by Rangers. Travellers returning from the UAE are exempt from self-isolation protocols in Scotland, with elite athletes in Scotland permitted to travel abroad  (BBC)

If they had to isolate for 10 days they would not have gone.

The debate is whether it was wise to go. In their favour they are all in 1 big bubble not 30 family bubbles. Only problem if one in the big bubble get it they are all isolating for 14 days and they play their under 23 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

As was said before the Government knew well in advance they were going as did the SPFL (who change a fixture to assist). Either could have stopped them traveling but neither did. So as well as condemning Celtic they should be condemning themselves for failing to act.

I assume that this is a fallout of the change a few years ago where all teams were given the opportunity to have the first weekend off in the new year as there was no mid season break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem is Celtic have not actually broken any rules or laws. As Saint Nicola has repeatedly said, its best not to have laws in place for absolutely every COVID eventuality, partly because it just gets silly, partly because the situation keeps changing, and partly because the police and other authorities couldn’t police them all anyway. 

Sometimes you have to just advise, and expect people, including supposedly responsible elite football clubs who are already in a privileged position in being allowed to do things most of us arn’t, to just use their common sense.

Celtic are behaving like idiots. Even their own fans can see this, and they have been called out for it. They can’t be prosecuted for it. But the next time they call on the SG or the League or whoever to make some concession or other, they will be told to feck off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think the problem is Celtic have not actually broken any rules or laws. As Saint Nicola has repeatedly said, its best not to have laws in place for absolutely every COVID eventuality, partly because it just gets silly, partly because the situation keeps changing, and partly because the police and other authorities couldn’t police them all anyway. 

Sometimes you have to just advise, and expect people, including supposedly responsible elite football clubs who are already in a privileged position in being allowed to do things most of us arn’t, to just use their common sense.

Celtic are behaving like idiots. Even their own fans can see this, and they have been called out for it. They can’t be prosecuted for it. But the next time they call on the SG or the League or whoever to make some concession or other, they will be told to feck off.

Oh no they won't. They rule Scottish football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

They don’t fecking rule Jean Freeman and Saint Nicola, though, do they?

Freeman is about to ride off into sunset with her pension. What can she do to one team nothing as the dealings they have are with SFA and if they were to take it out on them they would affect every team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Freeman is about to ride off into sunset with her pension. What can she do to one team nothing as the dealings they have are with SFA and if they were to take it out on them they would affect every team.

 

The correct term for someone ceasing work aged 67 is indeed "retiring" (see above) and you are perfectly entitled to then claim your pension (s) as you will have paid into them during your working life.

Celtic's selfish attitude to the Covid crisis could indeed impact on the whole of Scottish Football if things go wrong on their return.  4 Man City WSL players have just returned from Dubai with Covid and the so called "bubble" is not sealed.  The tour party do not live in Celtic Park they will disperse to their homes on return to Glasgow. 

Nicola should demand they are all thoroughly Covid tested independently from their own regime before they are allowed near another SPFL game so that the rest of the football community can feel safe.  Celtic would not dare refuse, this is a group of 30+ adults returning from a jaunt abroad not Maw and Paw Broon returning from a wee break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, south inch said:

The correct term for someone ceasing work aged 67 is indeed "retiring" (see above) and you are perfectly entitled to then claim your pension (s) as you will have paid into them during your working life.

Celtic's selfish attitude to the Covid crisis could indeed impact on the whole of Scottish Football if things go wrong on their return.  4 Man City WSL players have just returned from Dubai with Covid and the so called "bubble" is not sealed.  The tour party do not live in Celtic Park they will disperse to their homes on return to Glasgow. 

Nicola should demand they are all thoroughly Covid tested independently from their own regime before they are allowed near another SPFL game so that the rest of the football community can feel safe.  Celtic would not dare refuse, this is a group of 30+ adults returning from a jaunt abroad not Maw and Paw Broon returning from a wee break.

yes it is indeed retirement, you are quite correct

The Man City comparison is not really valid as these 4 players went off on a holiday to Dubai and covid, Tottenham alex Morgan player went with her family to Los Angeles and caught Covid and arsenal and West Ham players joined up for a party 

What you are suggesting in asking for an independent test is that the ethics or the medical professionals, who are goverened under the same rules as your own doctor is questionable. In which case, the testing for Saints, Ross county and all these other clubs taht are doing them themselves must also be questioned. 

Not defending Celtic I am simply raising the point that it was no secret that they were going to Dubai. If the medical people and the government thought there was an issue and Ms freeman is one of them then surely they should have raised it at the time, not when they were thousands of miles away. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...