Jody Morris article in the Courier

blueheaven

11 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’m sure we signed Jody outwith the window?

It does seem so: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20080302190749/http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/02/27/sportstory10991668t0.asp

"Morris (29) is a free agent after being released by Millwall, where he played with Saints boss Derek McInnes last summer.

“Jody is training with us and we plan to sign him until the end of the season,” said McInnes last night."

The fact Morris stayed for 4 seasons especially with half that being on the first division when he was in the prime of his career essentially shows what a pro he was. Yes if he hadn’t had off field issues he would never have come to saints, but it’s telling that he’s made friends up here and still sees his Ex-team mates regularly. He could easily have reverted back to being a London guy, hanging out with Lampard and that level of ex-player, instead he’s just a down to earth guy. 

Possibly one of, if not the most naturally talented player I’ve seen at saints. He wasn’t flashy and a lot of his work went unnoticed, but he had a class about him that is rarely seen in Scottish football, let alone a lower league. I’d be interested to see if anyone could name a bigger name and a better player to have player for or against saints in the first division as we know it now. 

Not sure if on film anywhere. But his Sublime slipped in pass to Murray Davidson up at Pittodrie (in a 3:1 i think) was superb. 
remember at the time when he got the ball outside the box, a big shoooot shout when up, but he picked out Murray who scored. 
also pretty sure in the highlights it never seemed as good as watching it live. 
Great player and can’t believe he played for us. 

59 minutes ago, Kinnoull Kicker said:

With his affection for Perth and our wee club, perhaps he could convince Lampard to bring Chelsea up for a friendly to help our finances?!!

I didn't see anything about his affection for the club. Article was mainly Liam's recollections.

Was expecting a wee comment from Jody on how St Johnstone saved his career.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I didn't see anything about his affection for the club. Article was mainly Liam's recollections.

He sure didn't hang around for the wages!! Go beyond the article - think back to his actions and interviews when he was here and I think you'll conclude he has an affection for Perth and the club. Doesn't it occur to you that given the troubles he had perhaps resurrecting his career wasn't top of his agenda. Perhaps the location, support and atmosphere helped make him a better person and hence that showed on the pitch?

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

Bit older but made his feelings clear here

www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/517711/st-johnstone-jody-morriss-second-team-chelsea/amp/

"After Chelsea, St Johnstone are definitely next in terms of how I feel about a club. It will always be like that.

“They are the next result I look for and I’m always rooting for them.

“I spent the longest time there apart from Chelsea.

“The time with Saints was important to me. I had a great relationship with the supporters and I fell back in love with football in my time with the club.”

Oh god my history with Jody. I used to work as a doorman down south at a famous holiday camp and had apparently restrained said mr Morris out of a nightclub with die hard Chelsea fan (I thought he was). Wasn’t till going to work the next night we get pulled into office and told if anyone asks about previous night we say no comment as said person restrained out of nightclub was famous Chelsea player Jody Morris. At this point I look at my mate and say did you not recognise him. He says no. I spoke to Jody about this at his time with saints in a meeting he was nothing but a gentleman about it and remembered the incident.

Such a positive article about my boy Jody. Really enjoyed watching him during his prime. He was never considered anything remarkable (or at least by my lot), but his play style was always solid. Too bad public perception towards Jody changed after his street brawl headlines, which (I remember) garnered a tough bit of controversy for him back in the day. His appointment as assistant manager at Chelsea is testament that his fundamentals are what made him a winner in the end. Cheers!