Best all time team

Cagey

Eilidh's choice showing how young she is.

For the era she is talking about I would pick McKay at right back.Maybe not just this era but all time. As Jody says I will never know why he never got a Scotland cap. 

Cup tie not even on subs bench.

Tbf I can barely remember the team from the 90s at all now, memory is dreadful, so I'd likely have a team based entirely on the Coyle team onwards.

I do remember loving Dasovic and O'Boyle though, still have a photo of me and Dasovic when I was mascot.

If you're going 4-4-2 how are you meant to pick just 4 of Morris, Hardie, Millar, O'Neill, Dasovic, O'Boyle, Scotland, May, MacLean, Peaso and Savo?

If pushed, and based entirely on how good they were at their best, rather than how good they were over their total time with us, I'd go...

Main

Mackay - Anderson - Duberry - Stanic

O'Halloran - Morris - Hardie - Swanson

May - O'Boyle

Subs: Mannus, C. Davidson, Millar, Dasovic, Wotherspoon, Scotland, MacLean.

... but that's heavily, heavily, influenced by my awful memory, and the fact it's not based on consistency. In Swansons best season, and MOHs best season, they were unplayable. I still remember O'Boyle being unreal, and being hugely underwhelmed by most strikers I saw afterwards, until Jason Scotland turned up really.

Edited by RandomGuy

For those of us of a certain age this is a difficult one.

There was 3 good era's in my time following Saints.

Ormond era with Aird, Connolly,Hall  & Aitken up front.

Totten years with Moore,Grant & Maskery hitting in the goals.

Lomas/Wright years with McLean & May scoring for fun.

Personally I preferred the Ormond years but picking an all time team over those decades is difficult.

14 hours ago, Cagey said:

Personally I preferred the Ormond years but picking an all time team over those decades is difficult.

With you thereCagey.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, Cagey said:

I would agree with you cagey but I am pretty sure we played 5 up front in those days with Jim Pearson up there as well and, unless my aged memory is playing tricks, I am pretty certain that Bìg Buck and Gordon Whitelaw were in the same era. I don't recall Buck playing centre half but I know of some who said he did.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, Cagey said:

6 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

I would agree with you cagey but I am pretty sure we played 5 up front in those days with Jim Pearson up there as well and, unless my aged memory is playing tricks, I am pretty certain that Bìg Buck and Gordon Whitelaw were in the same era. I don't recall Buck playing centre half but I know of some who said he did.

Yeah, memory no great. Think we played with 2 full backs ,centre half 2 midfielders & 5 up front so Jim Pearson & Buck McGarry would have been in there on occasion. Gordon Whitelaw as creative midfielder & Alec Gordon as enforcer.

Re the Ormond team my recollection is of a 4-2-4, but with some fluidity:  back four of Lambie, Gordon (or Rennie), Rooney and Coburn; midfield two of McCarry and McPhee; and front four of Aird, Hall, Connolly and Aitken.  McCarry was a versatile player and could fill in at centre defence IIRC, as well as chip in with some goals - 33 according to Jim Slater's Who's Who.  Gordon Whitelaw was also a very useful sub.  Connolly often played a bit deeper than Hall, and acted as another link man.

Now, as for the 'best ever' - this could take some time ......

On 4/5/2020 at 9:50 AM, Cagey said:

I don't think you should overlook the Sturrock/Clark era. Third place in the league, European games, League Cup Final.

Donaldson/Robertson

Lambie  Coburn 

Full backs

Rennie Rooney McPhee right, centre and left half

Previously mentioned Right and left wing

Inside right and left

Centre forward

None of your modern stuff like midfield and wing backs, defensive or attacking!

Oh the memories!

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Donaldson/Robertson

Lambie  Coburn 

Full backs

Rennie Rooney McPhee right, centre and left half

Previously mentioned Right and left wing

Inside right and left

Centre forward

None of your modern stuff like midfield and wing backs, defensive or attacking!

Oh the memories!

Aye Dunc get intae them

Man for man I'd say the team of the late Sturrock/early Clark era is the best Saints team I've seen, though Tommy Wright's era is more impressive because of its longevity.

Every time I try to think of my 'Best XI' it changes, but from my years watching Saints I'd probably go with this team:

Main

Mackay - Baltacha - Kernaghan - Preston

O'Neil - Dasovic - Morris - Sheerin

May - Wright

Subs: Mannus, McQuillan, Weir, Sylla, Millar, O'Boyle, MacLean

Stanic, Scotland, Callum Davidson, Jenkinson, Maskrey, Moore, Sekerlioglu, Paul Kane, Duberry, Fraser Wright, Easton, Ando, Griffin, Roddy Grant and Martin Hardie are among those I thought were terrific players but narrowly miss out.

15 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

At last, someone has included Sheerin! I reckon I must have been watching saints about the same length of time you have bh as that is pretty much my best XI and subs.

Yeah I started going in 1989. To be honest my memories of Baltacha are pretty hazy but I felt he had to be included as I did see him play many times.