League Reconstruction

Jamie_Beatson

I've written a lengthy diatribe over on the new WAP site about why I believe we should keep the current league setup, why it works for Scottish football and why increasing the Premiership league size wouldn't help anyone.

https://www.weareperth.co.uk/2020/04/17/in-defence-of-the-top-12-why-we-shouldnt-do-away-with-the-dozen/

Interested to hear everyone ele's views!

I pretty much agree with you Jamie - I think the system we already have is the best option. Not a huge fan of playing clubs four times in a season, but none of the options are perfect and I haven't seen a viable alternative that I think would be better.

Seeing a lot of stuff online about how fans all want reconstruction, but I've never seen a significantly-sized poll on this issue so I'm not sure where that perception is actually coming from.

I also think that if there's a genuine appetite for reconstruction, it should be discussed at a time where there's time to explore options and do it properly in the interests of all the clubs - not rush it through as a knee-jerk response to a unique short-term situation, purely to appease Hearts. If a lot of the clubs genuinely want it, why is it only coming up now?

This reconstruction debate actually got me thinking about why I go to watch games of football…apart from the supporting Saints bit obviously. For me, I don’t care that I watch Saints play Ross County 3/4 times. I think the games have to mean something and with an increased league size, you would get definitely get away from that.

As the league sits at the moment, both teams have something to play for in every game and I think it encourages people to want to go. ((Possibly Livi being the exception to that)). Would I go to see Accies v Saints tomorrow, yes…relegation/survival v’s top 6 battle. Would I go it if we were 8th and 9th out of 14/16…..possibly not.

Edited by Papa Jack

18 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Happy enough with the status quo,a 14 team league could work,with a 6/8 split,but want Hearts down this season,so leave as be for now

Don't have much of a problem with 14 team league but not for one season & just to save Hearts. Budge says they shouldn't be relegated because they have invested a lot of money to avoid relegation. So by that criteria Rangers should be awarded the title because they have spent a lot of money trying to achieve it. Feckin idiot. No wonder Hearts are where they are. OK she saved them but with keeping on Levien & McPhee & employing a useless manager,she is responsible for where they are.

Also they had a chance to get off the bottom with their game against St Mirren & they didn't look like they were trying.

Sorry strayed off reconstruction.

2 hours ago, dave mc said:

Happy enough with the status quo,a 14 team league could work,with a 6/8 split,but want Hearts down this season,so leave as be for now

Issue with a 6/8 split is that the teams in the top section of the split end up with fewer matches, and therefore fewer home matches, so it's almost as if they're being punished for doing well. I know the league as we have it has a slight imbalance of fairness on the home/away front, but having teams in the same league play different amounts of games is even worse.

did we not get relegated the last time there was a 14 team league and it went back down to 12 again?

I do get bored playing the same teams over and over, but we'd still end up playing teams three times and there is the risk of meaningless matches come season's end,  which you get less of in this set-up.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Issue with a 6/8 split is that the teams in the top section of the split end up with fewer matches, and therefore fewer home matches, so it's almost as if they're being punished for doing well. I know the league as we have it has a slight imbalance of fairness on the home/away front, but having teams in the same league play different amounts of games is even worse.

You’d think Rangers* would support fewer games towards the end of the season, what with all the Champions League semis and finals they will be in at that time.

Not for me, what we have just now is fine, never heard a peep about reconstruction at the beginning of the season, and if it was saints at the bottom wouldn’t even be mentioned, just  budge trying to cover up the mess she has made in gorgie keeping her man levein in a job too long and appointing another diddy after him, and then media types like  mikey Stewart and biscuits Preston giving it the too big to go down pish. Also united walked the championship but the standard was awful and they are not the top six team they think they will be, so why bring up even more crap to the league, think off Ayr in the cup they were awful only the wind levelled it out.

Also how would work with the premier playing this season and all the rest starting a new season, or do they have to wait till the premier has completed, same with cup comps can’t have two separate seasons on the go and cup comps playing at the same time, if that makes any sense!

Budge saying she hopes to have her reconstruction plan ready to be voted on within 3 weeks.  Not difficult, she knew the proposed set up at least 3 weeks ago.  She clearly intends to try and railroad it through before it becomes clear that the 20/21 season will be far too short for a 14 team SPL to be played out in a meaningful fashion thereby underlining that the whole exercise is merely to save Hearts' bacon.

One problem for her is that Rangers* have already realised that reconstruction does not stop Celtic being named champions which I think will rule out any possibility of the SPL vote being in favour which kills her plan stone dead even if the lower leagues go for it.

One wee point H, I have a memory that d*** Advocat's instructions to his players for the 1998 League Final against us relied heavily on our players' squad numbers as a means of identification.  However, we lined up using the traditional 1 - 11 numbers.  Advocat tried to get the KO delayed so he could adjust his instructions but the ref. refused.

You are probably right that 99/00 saw 1 - 11 dispensed with officially but squad numbers must have been in common use before that.

PS Richard Advocat.

Edited by south inch
To keep the system happy.

9 hours ago, south inch said:

One wee point H, I have a memory that d*** Advocat's instructions to his players for the 1998 League Final against us relied heavily on our players' squad numbers as a means of identification.  However, we lined up using the traditional 1 - 11 numbers.  Advocat tried to get the KO delayed so he could adjust his instructions but the ref. refused.

You are probably right that 99/00 saw 1 - 11 dispensed with officially but squad numbers must have been in common use before that.

PS Richard Advocat.

You could be right, the 1-11 may have been done away with in England before it was here. When I read the article I believed it to be across the U.K. and beyond.

Edited by HOODLUM65

22 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Why is Nelms involved in this so called league construction. ??

Because it's not just the top flight, its every division that will be affected.

Apparently to pass the vote, theyll need...

11 Premiership clubs...

75% of the 22 Premiership and Championship clubs...

And 75% of the 20 League One/Two clubs...

... to back it. If it fails at any of those three hurdles then it fails even if the other two go for it.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Because it's not just the top flight, its every division that will be affected.

Apparently to pass the vote, theyll need...

11 Premiership clubs...

75% of the 22 Premiership and Championship clubs...

And 75% of the 20 League One/Two clubs...

... to back it. If it fails at any of those three hurdles then it fails even if the other two go for it.

Thanks for that Random dont hear to much down hear, also why are we talking about Saints finishing 6 Th if league is called off.