Sign in to follow this  
Jamie_Beatson

League Reconstruction

Recommended Posts

On 4/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, south inch said:

One wee point H, I have a memory that d*** Advocat's instructions to his players for the 1998 League Final against us relied heavily on our players' squad numbers as a means of identification.  However, we lined up using the traditional 1 - 11 numbers.  Advocat tried to get the KO delayed so he could adjust his instructions but the ref. refused.

You are probably right that 99/00 saw 1 - 11 dispensed with officially but squad numbers must have been in common use before that.

PS Richard Advocat.

That can't be right - we wore squad numbers in the 98/99 League Cup Final. See photo here: GL700861.jpg

Squad numbers were introduced in Scotland in season 98/99, because that was the first season of the SPL. 97/98 was the last time we wore 1-11 shirts in the top division. I'm pretty sure England has had them since the Premier League was formed in 1992.

P.S. I'm not sure why this is in this thread - can't see any original post referring to squad numbers? :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

That can't be right - we wore squad numbers in the 98/99 League Cup Final. See photo here: GL700861.jpg

Squad numbers were introduced in Scotland in season 98/99, because that was the first season of the SPL. 97/98 was the last time we wore 1-11 shirts in the top division. I'm pretty sure England has had them since the Premier League was formed in 1992.

P.S. I'm not sure why this is in this thread - can't see any original post referring to squad numbers? :confused:

Can't argue with the photo.  My memory seems to come from a newspaper article written after the game, I was unaware of any problem at the match itself.  Maybe Dallas did make us change to squad numbers, not all of the players would have had to change.  Maybe it happened in the April 99 semi final.  Maybe I'm just a blether!

The post followed a lengthy opus from Hoodlum detailing the history of league reconstructions and related events from 1980 onwards.  He seems to have deleted it but Sixties' post on Saturday at 6.58 pm refers to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic, after Nicola's comments today Budge might as well disband her group for a few months.  Not much point in discussing any new set up until we know when normal football might resume and how many clubs might be around for the resumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, south inch said:

Can't argue with the photo.  My memory seems to come from a newspaper article written after the game, I was unaware of any problem at the match itself.  Maybe Dallas did make us change to squad numbers, not all of the players would have had to change.  Maybe it happened in the April 99 semi final.  Maybe I'm just a blether!

The post followed a lengthy opus from Hoodlum detailing the history of league reconstructions and related events from 1980 onwards.  He seems to have deleted it but Sixties' post on Saturday at 6.58 pm refers to it.

Hoodlum at the havers again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, south inch said:

Back on topic, after Nicola's comments today Budge might as well disband her group for a few months.  Not much point in discussing any new set up until we know when normal football might resume and how many clubs might be around for the resumption.

Nicola sturgeon is an ass , there will be no football in Scotland till a vaccine as she's on a solo mission to be the center of attention for the foreseable future... Time for positive solutions there's no reason for football not start in July ..Masks on lets go ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

Nicola sturgeon is an ass , there will be no football in Scotland till a vaccine as she's on a solo mission to be the center of attention for the foreseable future... Time for positive solutions there's no reason for football not start in July ..Masks on lets go ..

Wee nippy is gonna get you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, byebyedundee said:

Nicola sturgeon is an ass , there will be no football in Scotland till a vaccine as she's on a solo mission to be the center of attention for the foreseable future... Time for positive solutions there's no reason for football not start in July ..Masks on lets go ..

and you have suddenly become a virologist and the new head of medicine. 

I think it s time you do the same as half the pundits that are writing in the press and give a it a rest. Football is secondary to the health of players spectators and the players family. 

Football will be back when the time is right and folk can be assured of their health. 

 

 

Edited by mainstand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the timing of all this - Football (and all events with large gatherings) are likely to be the last thing to start again after lock down. It may be that we don't see another game this year. Reconstruction is a distraction and something to consider when and if we are likely to start playing games again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps feeling left out of Budge's pointless exercise Aberdeen have come up with one of their own.  They want to consult with, well everybody, to produce a plan to complete the 19/20 season (league and cup) and then complete a full 38 game 20/21 season before the 2021 Euro Championship.  (Another vote lost for reconstruction Anne!)

This plan will expect the Champions League, The Europa League and International Fixtures to take place.  Oh - and they are going to minimise the risk of spreading the Coronavirus.  They hope to use the experience of other countries as they restart sporting activities.  It appears to have escaped their attention that nobody has yet got to this stage.

At least when Nero buggered about whilst Rome burned he gave them a wee tune on his lyre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mainstand said:

and you have suddenly become a virologist and the new head of medicine. 

I think it s time you do the same as half the pundits that are writing in the press and give a it a rest. Football is secondary to the health of players spectators and the players family. 

Football will be back when the time is right and folk can be assured of their health. 

 

 

Why not Cummings has come up wae a lot o that, so bye bye can have a go as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mainstand said:

and you have suddenly become a virologist and the new head of medicine. 

I think it s time you do the same as half the pundits that are writing in the press and give a it a rest. Football is secondary to the health of players spectators and the players family. 

Football will be back when the time is right and folk can be assured of their health. 

 

 

You have a left sided over socialist gov who'll do anything to keep the public under their control and it's people like you that help to not only put these people in power but offer no hope for the optimistic entrepreneurial go getters... There are ways to get this SPFL finished with less risk than driving up the M6... 

Oh and by the way assurances wont happen till another 12 to 18 months dummy by then Scotland will crumble and so will our beloved football never mind Stjohnstone.. so forget your assurances and ask for logic and common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, byebyedundee said:

You have a left sided over socialist gov who'll do anything to keep the public under their control and it's people like you that help to not only put these people in power but offer no hope for the optimistic entrepreneurial go getters... There are ways to get this SPFL finished with less risk than driving up the M6... 

Oh and by the way assurances wont happen till another 12 to 18 months dummy by then Scotland will crumble and so will our beloved football never mind Stjohnstone.. so forget your assurances and ask for logic and common sense.

Chairman Wazz has spoken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, byebyedundee said:

You have a left sided over socialist gov who'll do anything to keep the public under their control and it's people like you that help to not only put these people in power but offer no hope for the optimistic entrepreneurial go getters... There are ways to get this SPFL finished with less risk than driving up the M6... 

Oh and by the way assurances wont happen till another 12 to 18 months dummy by then Scotland will crumble and so will our beloved football never mind Stjohnstone.. so forget your assurances and ask for logic and common sense.

A masterpiece of havers and contradictions in only two short paragraphs.  From your given location I take it you would offer up Donald Trump as an optimistic, entrepreneurial go getter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, byebyedundee said:

You have a left sided over socialist gov who'll do anything to keep the public under their control and it's people like you that help to not only put these people in power but offer no hope for the optimistic entrepreneurial go getters... There are ways to get this SPFL finished with less risk than driving up the M6... 

Oh and by the way assurances wont happen till another 12 to 18 months dummy by then Scotland will crumble and so will our beloved football never mind Stjohnstone.. so forget your assurances and ask for logic and common sense.

You know absolutely SFA about me and your comment about folk like me voting them in is laughable. 

So you think this is all a ploy by the government to control society OMG :rolleyes: 

No doubt you will be back in your American Muppets going round protesting that they want America open again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

Not quite new here, been reading the forums for a few years but now finally got round to signing up. I just thought I would put out a few thoughts of my own on the current situation.

 

Firstly, I would ideally have liked the league to be played out, it seems the fairest way, but as more time goes by I think that is less and less likely to happen.

 

Regarding possible reconstruction, I have to say that I am generally quite happy with the current set up, although I do understand the point some make about playing the same teams 4 times in a season (often more with cups). I was also not keen on the split when it first came in, but I think on balance this means that most teams are playing meaningful games for most of the season.

 

Going forward to the 20/21 season, it seems at the moment that we do not know when this may start, or what likelyhood there is of further disruption during the season, and so I think expansion of the league - presumably meaning more games - seems a bit nuts under the circumstances. it seems to me a reduced season would be a better idea for a one-off, play each other home and away giving 22 games in the top flight and 18 in the lower leagues. I am fully aware that this may mean football only every other week, but feel that would be better than ending up struggling to get games played.

 

This would also give a full year to consider whether there is a real appetite for reconstruction - and in what form - or if it really is just a knee-jerk reaction to the current conditions. While I am not convinced that there is a real need for reconstruction, I believe some. especially in the lower leagues, do feel that change is needed. If that is the case, surely it is better to take time to do it right, rather than pushing things through now that we may be stuck with for many years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mainstand said:

You know absolutely SFA about me and your comment about folk like me voting them in is laughable. 

So you think this is all a ploy by the government to control society OMG :rolleyes: 

No doubt you will be back in your American Muppets going round protesting that they want America open again. 

 

Did I say that Gov is controlling you I said The ass in Scotland is TRYING to control  you , ( You're clearly easy to control ) however you cant seem to see that the economic downfall will have a larger affect than Covid19.... suicides UP, Poverty UP, Mental Health Up, Child abuse UP, I stated that this can happen with logic and common sense you clearly have none of these....

 

ANGRY ELF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

Did I say that Gov is controlling you I said The ass in Scotland is TRYING to control  you , ( You're clearly easy to control ) however you cant seem to see that the economic downfall will have a larger affect than Covid19.... suicides UP, Poverty UP, Mental Health Up, Child abuse UP, I stated that this can happen with logic and common sense you clearly have none of these....

 

ANGRY ELF

That’s it . Am voting for wazzy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not advocating to open anything up right now, I just pushed our 'back to office' notice to be reviewed again in June, even though our Guv is saying May 1 to start opening up.

That said, I dont see why we cant get football going again in some fashion in June, behind closed doors...I think we could all use a bit of entertainment as this thing is sucking us and our emotions dry. Im not going to attempt to guess on what the structure could be, just get ****in playing, even if some new Corona Cup/friendlies. 

process?

  1. Test every spfl player/match day staff/refs/TV crew
  2. Everyone should already be under quarantine already  - make it a condition of being part of this, stay in your house, if you dont, you're off the list, put tracking devices on 'em
  3. Check for fevers on match day, anyone over 100 gtf home
  4. Test every week
  5. Games will probably be a shit show but clubs could charge for the TV viewing

I  realize folks will say football is low on the pecking order, dont waste tests on sports when they could be used on nurses. I get all that, and above would be once you have the front line covered. Maybe thats not June, I dont know....

Just dont think we should underestimate the impact/benefit globally to open up some aspects of our countries, at low risk, and the good energy that entertainment can bring in a crisis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, south inch said:

A masterpiece of havers and contradictions in only two short paragraphs.  From your given location I take it you would offer up Donald Trump as an optimistic, entrepreneurial go getter.

I’m certainly not a big fan of this guy Trump but at least he’s giving the people hope, plans  and money Mmmmm And  he handed out $3400 to everyone earning $75K or less and everyone that becomes furloughed or fired $600 per week .. you do know that Oil is minus $37 per barrel that is Scotland’s SNP party s big debate we want to keep our oil money we’ll thank god for The UK  and glad we’re part of it ...because Sturgeon is on her knees begging 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this