New Manager

Linky

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Not sure what makes you think Liam would make a good manager. He hasn't even coached the kids yet although I think he has helped out.

I say why in the post you've quoted.

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Didn't we win those games and concede no goals?

From my, shite, memory, it was more in spite of him than anything else. He never influenced the game at all, simply a case of TWs team going out and winning.

24 minutes ago, dave mc said:

He said in a previous interview that Callum would be his successor 

How long ago was that though?

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Bookies have Callum Davidson as favourite,John Robertson 2nd & Clelland ,3rd.Cant remember odds but not a betting man 

Robertson could be a candidate. Even though his ego is out of control. How much compo would ICT want? Mind you, they'll be bust soon, so may not be an issue.

I'm not sure what John Robertson has done to be in the mix. He's had a decent season on a small budget with Inverness. At most of the clubs he's managed he's lasted barely a year in the job.

I'd rather Clelland, rather than that. If it's going to be Clelland, let's just get it over and done with - announce that he'll become manager as soon as we know football will start again, appoint Craig as assistant.

Otherwise - go for someone who actually has done an incredible job on a tight budget: Gary Holt.

Or, if it's going to be someone a bit further afield: David Healy

7 minutes ago, Linky said:

I'm not sure what John Robertson has done to be in the mix. He's had a decent season on a small budget with Inverness. At most of the clubs he's managed he's lasted barely a year in the job.

I'd rather Clelland, rather than that. If it's going to be Clelland, let's just get it over and done with - announce that he'll become manager as soon as we know football will start again, appoint Craig as assistant.

Otherwise - go for someone who actually has done an incredible job on a tight budget: Gary Holt.

Or, if it's going to be someone a bit further afield: David Healy

I doubt we could get Holt, tbh. 

This was taken during our last game...

1981133362_19927983.t5e63b558.m1200.wSNS_GROUP_WATERMARK520.png.xuFyNAcK9BwtymsqY.thumb.jpg.4a9c627ada29d602fa3040853645dd0a.jpg

makes you wonder if it's just an innocent photo, or the next management team.

Davidson and Craig isn't the worst option out there, but Clelland is already Assistant Manager, so what would happen to him? Surely we wouldn't go for a rookie manager with a rookie Assistant too, considering the club is generally risk averse in appointments (to its credit).

Sooner rather than later. Let's have him in place ready to evaluate the squad, re-sign players and be ready for the restart (if there is one). However knowing us, once everyone is back in training, we will then start interviewing for the post and a couple of months later when most of our unsigned players have left, we appoint a new manager who has little time to assemble a new squad. 

Clelland is our assistant manager are we going to sack him from that post and bring in a new assistant e.g. Davidson and Craig as is being touted.

I am aware that new managers sometimes bring their own backroom staff but can we afford that?

14 minutes ago, Linky said:

Davidson and Craig isn't the worst option out there, but Clelland is already Assistant Manager, so what would happen to him? Surely we wouldn't go for a rookie manager with a rookie Assistant too, considering the club is generally risk averse in appointments (to its credit).

I’d say quite the opposite. The club has been incredibly shrewd in its most recent managerial appointments, but risk averse? Absolutely not. Coyle (an assistant in the lower leagues), McInnes (next to nothing) and Lomas (a short spell at St Neot’s Town) had very little managerial experience prior to being appointed.

Absolutely no chance that Cleland will be the next St. Johnstone manager, for what it’s worth. 

Edited by The Real Saints

9 minutes ago, Linky said:

I daresay, if Davidson is hired and wants Craig as assistant, it would be up to Cleland how his future went. I'd guess that Cleland, being the senior member of the staff, would have as much say as Craig.

I think the club prefers that sort of appointment. Coyle, McInnes, Lomas all lacked any serious management experience (Coyle has been co-manager before) when they were hired.

Davidson spent 5 years under TW, has coached for Scotland, and has experience, and contacts, at Stoke and Millwall now. I've a bad feeling about him, but it's unfair to write him off based on that. It feels like a natural progression for both him, and the club.

If it goes wrong, it goes wrong, but it feels a better risk to take than the vast majority of names getting thrown about. He knows and trusts most of the squad, and theyll feel the same way.

22 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I’d say quite the opposite. The club has been incredibly shrewd in its most recent managerial appointments, but risk averse? Absolutely not. Coyle (an assistant in the lower leagues), McInnes (next to nothing) and Lomas (a short spell at St Neot’s Town) had very little managerial experience prior to being appointed.

Absolutely no chance that Cleland will be the next St. Johnstone manager, for what it’s worth. 

That's true - I guess they just seemed well planned, rather than risk averse.

Why not Cleland? (Not that I think he'd be a good appointment, but interested to know why not)

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I daresay, if Davidson is hired and wants Craig as assistant, it would be up to Cleland how his future went. I'd guess that Cleland, being the senior member of the staff, would have as much say as Craig.

I think the club prefers that sort of appointment. Coyle, McInnes, Lomas all lacked any serious management experience (Coyle has been co-manager before) when they were hired.

Davidson spent 5 years under TW, has coached for Scotland, and has experience, and contacts, at Stoke and Millwall now. I've a bad feeling about him, but it's unfair to write him off based on that. It feels like a natural progression for both him, and the club.

If it goes wrong, it goes wrong, but it feels a better risk to take than the vast majority of names getting thrown about. He knows and trusts most of the squad, and theyll feel the same way.

Yes, it just seems to make sense to keep some sort of stability, and would be strange to appoint someone as interim manager to then kick them out the door in a few months time (unless, if Tommy goes to the Northern Ireland job, might he take Clelland with him?)

I do think the Davidson/Craig combo is a decent suggestion compared to a lot of the other names.

5 minutes ago, Linky said:

Yes, it just seems to make sense to keep some sort of stability, and would be strange to appoint someone as interim manager to then kick them out the door in a few months time (unless, if Tommy goes to the Northern Ireland job, might he take Clelland with him?)

I do think the Davidson/Craig combo is a decent suggestion compared to a lot of the other names.

Just checked, and Cleland was made interim manager in 2011 when Derek McInnes left. Cleland was demoted down to coach again when Lomas and Wright came in.

So this wouldnt be a strange situation for him.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I doubt we could get Holt, tbh. 

This was taken during our last game...

1981133362_19927983.t5e63b558.m1200.wSNS_GROUP_WATERMARK520.png.xuFyNAcK9BwtymsqY.thumb.jpg.4a9c627ada29d602fa3040853645dd0a.jpg

makes you wonder if it's just an innocent photo, or the next management team.

The money Callum will be on down at Millwall may be an issue. 

Callum and liam.have been great pals for years and have worked together doing coaching.

Is Liam.ready to hang up his boots yet I doubt it so could see him getting a coaching role taking the reserves rather than assistant manager. 

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Get off your high horse. Callum Davidson would be a fantastic appointment 

10 minutes ago, mainstand said:

The money Callum will be on down at Millwall may be an issue. 

Theres a chance hes got a clause in his deal there that allows him to leave for a manager job?

No idea if that's even a thing

8 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Get off your high horse. Callum Davidson would be a fantastic appointment 

What? I was saying I'd prefer him getting it rather than any other name I've seen linked.

If the decision is down to kirsteen, then well get someone like Barry Ferguson, Jim Duffy or Danny Lennon (all horrific names). If it is down to Brown, it will be Clelland and Maybury (cheep option, but may be ok) and if it were fans and a board decision, it would be Callum Davidson.

I'd be happy with Davidson. Fits the mould, knows how the club operates, plenty of experience coaching and has respect of the players.

Alternatively, Hopkin or dare I say it Levein would also understand the club.

Doubt Jones or Morris would be interested.

My only concern with someone like Davidson or even Sherrin etc is the John Connelly era. Sometimes fans views are clouded by sentiment.

Equally, pleasing the media like with Billy Stark could be a disaster. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

What? I was saying I'd prefer him getting it rather than any other name I've seen linked.

All your; I don’t think he’s cut out to be a manager, if it goes wrong it goes wrong, pish!!

Unfounded, obtuse, narcissism..

The guy has worked his ass off since he stopped playing and has served his time as a kids coach, youth coach, pro coach, international coach and now the assistant manager of a relatively prominent football club, all at the age of 43.

But no no, YOU don’t think he can’t cut it.

Care to offer any reason why - other than a conceited hunch?

1 minute ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

All your; I don’t think he’s cut out to be a manager, if it goes wrong it goes wrong, pish!!

Unfounded, obtuse, narcissism..

The guy has worked his ass off since he stopped playing and has served his time as a kids coach, youth coach, pro coach, international coach and now the assistant manager of a relatively prominent football club, all at the age of 43.

But no no, YOU don’t think he can’t cut it.

Care to offer any reason why - other than a conceited hunch?

I've literally said i have a bad feeling about him as our manager, but it's totally unfounded and it's unfair to judge him on that.

Every manager we hire will be a risk.

I'm not really sure what you're wanting me to say.

Youth coach, coach, assistant manager, interim manager of many clubs, East Stirling, Partick Thistle, Livingston,  Rangers, Inverness C.T. and Saints must be in with a shout.

When Alan Preston was sacked by Livi , Clelland was made interim Manager. 

They appointed John Robertson who was ultimately sacked.

When Clelland failed to be appointed their Manager he left the club.

Does he still fancy being in the hot seat?

Asking for a friend.