New Manager

Linky

59 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

No serious I thought he did a good at Hearts and no bad a job at The Arabs, think he would be good for us.

He probably considers himself too good for Saints. Callum is an interesting one. I know he's said he's not interested, happy learning at Millwall, but I'd imagine SB will do everything to convince him. Just as with players, Saints can be a good career progression path. Failing Callum, Robertson.

6 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Not sure if I’m right but cleland was caretaker before lomas and Tommy come in am I right that he didn’t want it.

Not sure. wasn't there a link to a management vacancy at another club & he turned that down a few years ago? Maybe his thinking has changed after all these years. He obviously knows the way the club's run, what direction & areas to strengthen. He just comes across as a bit timid. Don't know what the players think of him... 

If you think so. If I had no emotional ties, I know I'd rather be on a bigger wage at a club with a bigger budget who are willing to pump funds into the club to make it rise towards to the top of the league, rather than arguing with Brown about whether we have the money to have a another ball-boy on £5 a match.

55 minutes ago, Linky said:

If you think so. If I had no emotional ties, I know I'd rather be on a bigger wage at a club with a bigger budget who are willing to pump funds into the club to make it rise towards to the top of the league, rather than arguing with Brown about whether we have the money to have a another ball-boy on £5 a match.

Do Ballboys get £5 a game? 

9 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Not sure. wasn't there a link to a management vacancy at another club & he turned that down a few years ago? Maybe his thinking has changed after all these years. He obviously knows the way the club's run, what direction & areas to strengthen. He just comes across as a bit timid. Don't know what the players think of him... 

The last thing we want is a yes man .. And Clelland is a yes man

I’m aware this won’t be a popular opinion but I think Peter Houston could be a very good option for us.

Think he did a very good job at Dundee United whilst having his budget cut every season and then did well at Falkirk. International experience as well.

We could do a lot worse.

3 hours ago, SlickDT said:

I’m aware this won’t be a popular opinion but I think Peter Houston could be a very good option for us.

Think he did a very good job at Dundee United whilst having his budget cut every season and then did well at Falkirk. International experience as well.

We could do a lot worse.

Is there a reason that he's taken mainly assistant jobs for the last while? Perhaps he prefers being behind the scenes?

7 hours ago, Linky said:

Is there a reason that he's taken mainly assistant jobs for the last while? Perhaps he prefers being behind the scenes?

Quite possibly, although he may not have been approached by anyone/a club he wanted to work with.

8 hours ago, dave mc said:

Aye, that’s worked a treat,won the same as us, whilst spending millions, poor  analogy imo 

All I was saying is that it happens quite often now. Dundee is another example. Whether Gerrard has been 'successful' at Rangers is another debate. It seems a bit ridiculous to discard a model of 'younger first-time manager, with older experienced assistant' based on what might be happening at Rangers. It's like saying you don't want Callum Davidson because he shares the same haircut as Neil Lennon.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, RandomGuy said:

Houston had that role at Morton aswell, assisting Jonathon Johansson.

Both sacked after the first season. 

Do you think this was more a reflection of Houston or Johansson? Or are you saying that the model of older assistant and younger, first-time manager doesn’t work?

Genuine questions.

38 minutes ago, Linky said:

Do you think this was more a reflection of Houston or Johansson? Or are you saying that the model of older assistant and younger, first-time manager doesn’t work?

Genuine questions.

I’d rather a young manager picked their own assistant rather than have one imposed upon them. 

Better to have an assistant that you know and trust personally. Whether that be young or older. 

49 minutes ago, Linky said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the whole 'Two Managers, No Assistant' set-up, like at Ross County?

Craig and MacLean anyone?

I'm not sure I understand what the benefits are of it to be honest. The club would have to pay two manager salaries, for what advantage? I'm struggling to think of any duel-manager teams who have been successful.