New Manager

Linky

2 minutes ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

Look up his CV and educate yourself. 

I sort of agree with you that Hughes has a decent CV, but he left Caley because of a disagreement over budget (big red flag!) and hasn't done much since (other than a short stint at Raith Rovers, who he couldn't save from relegation). I don't think Saints will be interested.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We could end up making no matchday income next season as theres a real chance every game has to be played behind closed doors.

You can talk about German football returning, but the amount of money they're spending to get games on is astronomical. They hire out an entire hotel for one squad, who all stay in separate rooms. They then hire multiple buses to get the squad to the game so they can keep their distance. Multiple tests are done before and after the game (an EFL League Two chairman claims it costs £18k per match if they do it, not sure if that's just one test or multiple).

Theres a real chance Scottish football cant start up again until January. We have a solid squad just now who could see us avoiding relegation over a season, surely people see that you cant spend a fortune this Summer if you dont need to?

You cant be reckless when theres no guaranteed income.

Think the German contract for testing is costing £4 million until the end of the season money we just don't have.

13 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Because (despite what SB said "no rush"), which he has to say, we need to appoint our preferred manager- be it Callum/Robertson/whomever, pretty quickly. Callum knows the system /squad etc, but question marks if he'll come. Even if he does, clubs will be actively sounding at players as we speak. We'd look a bit daft approaching agents/players (or agents approaching us) if we don't have a confirmed manager. I wouldn't take a job without knowing who my boss was. So I'd expect something next week. That's us almost into June.

We could of course be waiting until our target knows what is happening with his season. No good disrupting another clubs season to have a manager sitting in his living room doing nothing. 

Sure the EFL are deciding this week on what happens to teams like Millwall. 

Article in courier today regarding Jim Weir and how he is champing at the bit to get back into football management.

Interesting read especially as he mentions full time and experience gained working as part time manager just like Tommy.

Is this a punt for the job at McD or is the article preparing fans for an announcement that he is new manager??

Edited by Templar Saint

28 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Article in courier today regarding Jim Weir and how he is champing at the bit to get back into football management.

Interesting read especially as he mentions full time and experience gained working as part time manager just like Tommy.

Is this a punt for the job at McD or is the article preparing fans for an announcement that he is new manager??

Seriously doubt it

We need a manger sooner than later. He is only person who knows the preferred formation which he will want to play. Therefore he should be only person selecting new players for his squad. ie if 3 at the back another centre back to cove Kerr Gordon and McCart,  if wingers another winger to cover MOH and Spooney. There are players which have been released that can fill these rolls. And these are only 2 examples. If we allow Cleland and Kirsten to choose the new players; I will put 2 and 2 together and say Cleland has the job as they would be selecting for his preferred formation.

Let's get the finger out and appoint a new manager, we have had long enough to find one. This is not like waiting until the last minute to bring in a new player, this is the man who will mould and prepare the team for the start of the season. When the players are back the new manager should be there to meet them and start working on his formation and tactics.  

Think they'll announce new Manager when the players are due back.

Also think it will be Cleland, as he knows the players and formations that have been tried and tested.

Been at the Club since 2008 , been caretaker manager twice and knows the ins and outs of the club.

He must be doing something right to be at the Club for 12 years, or  Broon would have had him oot.

Edited by HOODLUM65

43 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Also think it will be Cleland, as he knows the players and formations that have been tried and tested.

Been at the Club since 2008 , been caretaker manager twice and knows the ins and outs of the club.

He must be doing something right to be at the Club for 12 years, or  Broon would have had him oot.

Aye the cheap option

57 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

From reading various quotes from Cleland I'm not sure he actually wants the job - he certainly hasn't been publicly pitching himself for it. I do think that he's come across pretty well during this period though. Personally I wouldn't object to him being kept in the role on a trial basis for a bit longer to see how things go - perhaps an arrangement that lasts up until January for example, just like a few of the players have been given. I don't really see any huge rush to bring someone else in, given the current circumstances.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

He was interviewed for the Raith and Morton jobs - failed to get them - why would he be good enough for.us then ? Yeah forgot the cheap option.

2 hours ago, GMac said:

He was interviewed for the Raith and Morton jobs - failed to get them - why would he be good enough for.us then ? Yeah forgot the cheap option.

Another way of looking at it could be that those clubs aren't as good at choosing managers as Saints are, so maybe they went for the wrong candidates.

2 hours ago, GMac said:

It may be his plans were too ambitious for them. There's lots of reasons why you don't appoint people.

3 hours ago, GMac said:

To hell with getting someone that would do a  good job as long as they were the expensive option. Reminds me of when Lada started to sell cars in Ireland nobody bought them, they increased the price by about half and folk started to buy them. 

58 minutes ago, sleepless said:

It may be his plans were too ambitious for them. There's lots of reasons why you don't appoint people.

Yep, and also, if Saints consider him to be right for the job after 12 years of him working for us, I'd say that's a more valid judgement than one formed during a one-off job interview.

42 minutes ago, mainstand said:

To hell with getting someone that would do a  good job as long as they were the expensive option. Reminds me of when Lada started to sell cars in Ireland nobody bought them, they increased the price by about half and folk started to buy them. 

lada rubbish