New Manager

Linky

42 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I do not believe we need to go down the road of an inexperienced manager they are 10 a penny, the difficulty is getting a good one. As for experience I consider it very important hence the reason why we are having this discussion.

Out of the vast number of experienced managers out of work,or the ones quoted as interested would you go for. Can't think of any. Maybe Alec Ferguson but we have to be realistic.

There are a lot of failures out there. Rangers & Hearts can testify to that.

1 hour ago, Templar Saint said:

Remind me again where our Suggested favourite for next manager is currently Assistant Manager!!!!!

What has that got to do with a legend of your greatest rivals thinking he could be a success there? He was never accepted, would never in a month of Sundays been accepted, which along with him being found out for what he was, a shite manager, is why any reasonable person knew he was insane to even try it. Which is why TW told him to gtf.

I think our track record of managerial appointments merits that whoever is given the job deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt by our fans.

Whether it’s Cleland, Davidson, Hughes, Kearney or Klopp- they have a hell of a manager to follow on from and will need as much support as possible.

6 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

What has that got to do with a legend of your greatest rivals thinking he could be a success there? He was never accepted, would never in a month of Sundays been accepted, which along with him being found out for what he was, a shite manager, is why any reasonable person knew he was insane to even try it. Which is why TW told him to gtf.

Mind he used to come on here after a few and make an arse of himself? Couldn’t stand him.

5 hours ago, SlickDT said:

I think our track record of managerial appointments merits that whoever is given the job deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt by our fans.

Whether it’s Cleland, Davidson, Hughes, Kearney or Klopp- they have a hell of a manager to follow on from and will need as much support as possible.

I agree to a small extent. The enemy of any corporate or organisational policy and strategy is complacency. 

"We did it this way before....and it worked" 

We did appoint Connolly and McLelland after all. Our record is not unblemished.

Things move on and change. Cleland the right man for the job? I think a lot of persuasion would be needed to categorically state that he is absolutely the best candidate....fans are die hards but we are not daft. Treat us with contempt and we will bite. 

If appointed  it woild be a decision based on the almighty dollar.  It would take a degree in Malcolm Tucker spin to convince the masses.

4 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Scottish Premiership clubs' first-team squads will be allowed to return to training from 11 June, the Scottish FA has confirmed.

Will have a manager appointed by then?

They can return from June 11, but  only if the Club have put in place a strict testing regime which will involve forking out £35k for a testing machine and then £50 a player per test for the kit. I would assume the Club physio is not furloughed.

Leaving training until the 29th June would save the Club a months salary for each player on furlough and £5k a week roughly in testing and give them 5 weeks until matches start.

41 minutes ago, mainstand said:

They can return from June 11, but  only if the Club have put in place a strict testing regime which will involve forking out £35k for a testing machine and then £50 a player per test for the kit. I would assume the Club physio is not furloughed.

Leaving training until the 29th June would save the Club a months salary for each player on furlough and £5k a week roughly in testing and give them 5 weeks until matches start.

Wow something I agree with Mainstand on.

Things can only get better.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I think they will be checking football clubs and in particular whether fitness coaches and sports scientists were communicating with players giving them programmes or not.

I think HMRC will have bigger fish to fry. There will be loads trying to work the system.

Raith are getting praise for furloughing players that they are going to release. I think that kind of thing will be picked up but even that is small fry.

What's this with all the fish analogies.

Small fry.

Bigger fish to fry.

Plenty more fish in the sea.

54 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think HMRC will have bigger fish to fry. There will be loads trying to work the system.

Raith are getting praise for furloughing players that they are going to release. I think that kind of thing will be picked up but even that is small fry.

What's this with all the fish analogies.

Small fry.

Bigger fish to fry.

Plenty more fish in the sea.

He's hooked you in

14 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

I agree to a small extent. The enemy of any corporate or organisational policy and strategy is complacency. 

"We did it this way before....and it worked" 

We did appoint Connolly and McLelland after all. Our record is not unblemished.

Things move on and change. Cleland the right man for the job? I think a lot of persuasion would be needed to categorically state that he is absolutely the best candidate....fans are die hards but we are not daft. Treat us with contempt and we will bite. 

If appointed  it woild be a decision based on the almighty dollar.  It would take a degree in Malcolm Tucker spin to convince the masses.

Whilst I agree with your point on complacency, I’d argue our last four appointments have been made on merit. The club clearly identified Owen Coyle as the man they wanted for the job. McInnes had clearly impressed the board as a leader and was deemed to have the qualities to be manager. Steve Lomas was an appointment totally out of the blue, but his interview clearly impressed and Tommy was identified as the man for the job straight away because of the work he did as assistant. I’m pretty sure if Steve Brown doesn’t see a potential manager in Cleland he won’t appoint him simply because he is the cheap option.

I believe the club will be speaking to potential candidates on the quiet as we speak and if someone looks like they are a better option than Cleland, then they will get the job.

For what it’s worth (and I have no inside information what so ever)- I believe we will make another appointment like Lomas. Someone no one has mentioned but has impressed with achievements at a lower level/coaching gig or someone that impresses in an interview.

Based on a gut feeling Id give someone like David Weir an interview.

1 hour ago, SlickDT said:

Whilst I agree with your point on complacency, I’d argue our last four appointments have been made on merit. The club clearly identified Owen Coyle as the man they wanted for the job. McInnes had clearly impressed the board as a leader and was deemed to have the qualities to be manager. Steve Lomas was an appointment totally out of the blue, but his interview clearly impressed and Tommy was identified as the man for the job straight away because of the work he did as assistant. I’m pretty sure if Steve Brown doesn’t see a potential manager in Cleland he won’t appoint him simply because he is the cheap option.

I believe the club will be speaking to potential candidates on the quiet as we speak and if someone looks like they are a better option than Cleland, then they will get the job.

For what it’s worth (and I have no inside information what so ever)- I believe we will make another appointment like Lomas. Someone no one has mentioned but has impressed with achievements at a lower level/coaching gig or someone that impresses in an interview.

Based on a gut feeling Id give someone like David Weir an interview.

I would normally agree with you about a left field appointment but I think we'll try and keep continuity with how we have progressed in the top league over the last ten years with stability within. I still think Davidson but if not I'm definitely all right with John Hughes.

41 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I would normally agree with you about a left field appointment but I think we'll try and keep continuity with how we have progressed in the top league over the last ten years with stability within. I still think Davidson but if not I'm definitely all right with John Hughes.

I’d guess Davidson is Steve Browns first choice, but he will be on a decent wage and you’d think some sort of compo would be required to take him away from his current job. Possibly expenses we can’t quite afford just now with the lockdown issues.

What makes Cleland more experienced than Davidson? Callum made a step-up by leaving the Saints assistant manager position to be a first-team coach/assistant manager at Stoke City, before being personally headhunted by Scotland to join their coaching team, then getting another big move as assistant manager of Millwall. His CV is streets ahead of Cleland's.

Edited by The Real Saints

26 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

What makes Cleland more experienced than Davidson? Callum made a step-up by leaving the Saints assistant manager position to be a first-team coach/assistant manager at Stoke City, before being personally headhunted by Scotland to join their coaching team, then getting another big move as assistant manager of Millwall. His CV is streets ahead of Cleland's.

A wee bit puzzled about your last line. 

Can you elaborate on why you think Davidson's C.V. is streets ahead of Clelands?

Not a criticism, would just like you to show their respective credentials, or why you arrived at your view.

15 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

A wee bit puzzled about your last line. 

Can you elaborate on why you think Davidson's C.V. is streets ahead of Clelands?

Not a criticism, would just like you to show their respective credentials, or why you arrived at your view.

He has been assistant manager at clubs who play at a higher level than St. Johnstone. Cleland's best achievement to date has been his appointment as assistant manager at St. Johnstone.

Edited by The Real Saints

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

He has been assistant manager at clubs who play at a higher level than St. Johnstone. Cleland's best achievement to date has been his appointment as assistant manager at St. Johnstone.

Would have thought you would have put a little bit meat on the bone 

Personally I would not be disappointed if either one was made Manager.

As regards  being at a higher level than Saints, Gary Rowett who signed for Leicester City on the same day as Callum, became Manager of Stoke in May 2018 ,was fired in Jan 2019 after poor results, despite spending £30m.

Rowett made his ex Leicester team mate Callum , assistant Manager, according to an interview Callum was at the club 6 months , before taking up an appointment with Dunfermline in 2019.

When his buddy was made Manager of Millwall, he again appointed Callum as his assistant.

Sometimes in life it's who you know that gets you the job.

In no way am I saying Callum is not good at what he does, as I don't know and I suspect neither do you.

However you are entitled to your opinion.

Yes, beyond being an ex-player I don’t see what all the fuss about Davidson is. He was assistant at Stoke for 6 months, then Millwall for 6 months. Both of which he got because he knew the manager, neither of which worked out. You could say the only job he got due to his own credentials was the one at Dunfermline.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Yes, beyond being an ex-player I don’t see what all the fuss about Davidson is. He was assistant at Stoke for 6 months, then Millwall for 6 months. Both of which he got because he knew the manager, neither of which worked out. You could say the only job he got due to his own credentials was the one at Dunfermline.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Is he not still at Millwall who sit 8th in the championship 2 points off a playoff place? Don’t see how you can say that didn’t work out. 

5 minutes ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Is he not still at Millwall who sit 8th in the championship 2 points off a playoff place? Don’t see how you can say that didn’t work out. 

Sorry, I meant: the first didn't work out, the second has only been for 6 months. I'm not saying he'll be a bad manager, I just don't know why people are talking about his experience. Clelland technically has more experience, and we don't tend to appoint experienced managers anyway.