New Manager

Linky

5 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

We negotiated his release from Millwall so that might have cost a bob or two.

There will be no fee. That announcement was a respectful way of making it not look like we'd poached him, or he'd left in a negative cloud. In football it is very rare for an assistant to be held back, and the decision to "let" him leave would have been backed by Rowlett. The "football family" thing does exist, reputations matter, so Saints were just respecting Millwall's reputation and Davidson's.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18528429.millwall-boss-gary-rowett-heaps-praise-callum-davidson-st-johnstone-appointment/?fbclid=IwAR2fINsfSxdRjXcSMRdlhhYnAiT71RYQbxV3Vl5upH7PdLXUZ2zIe8r1yHo

"I said ‘If it is something you really want to do, we will try to help.’ The club does not stand in the way of people who want to progress – I do not think that is right, to make it hard for someone to take their chance.

Edited by MySpazz

I wonder whether (if it is true), having MacLean & Craig join the coaching staff also gives us a bit of future planning. The hope being, if Davidson is poached in 3 or 4 years time due to his success, we have 2 potential managers waiting in the wings. The Chairman can take his pick.

3 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Why?

Coz, I’m nosey! Seriously, I wondered if the club took the opportunity to sound out others. In no way does this mean I think the club has made the wrong choice but to hear who else applied or was interviewed may give some indication of how St J is viewed across the wider football community.

19 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Did Dave Mackay and Murray Davidson not admit they picked us ahead of other clubs as they knew Saints would never be in a situation where they would miss wage payments?

Could find something similar in the next year.

Dave Mackay admitted that it was Murray who preferred Saints to Dundee because he felt we were the more stable club.  Chatting to Dave at his testimonial he did mention haggling with Stewart Duff over 50 quid a week. 

2 hours ago, jhq said:

Dave Mackay admitted that it was Murray who preferred Saints to Dundee because he felt we were the more stable club.  Chatting to Dave at his testimonial he did mention haggling with Stewart Duff over 50 quid a week. 

There was also an interview with Gary Irvine where he said that Dave Mackay had reservations about joining saints because he wasn’t sure he’d play very much. Luckily Irvine wasn’t for at the start of the season and the rest is history, but how things could have been different.

Shame Dundee didn’t sell us Griffiths when he wanted to come as well, we could have had the full set of Livi players we wanted. 

19 minutes ago, Widge said:

There was also an interview with Gary Irvine where he said that Dave Mackay had reservations about joining saints because he wasn’t sure he’d play very much. Luckily Irvine wasn’t for at the start of the season and the rest is history, but how things could have been different.

Shame Dundee didn’t sell us Griffiths when he wanted to come as well, we could have had the full set of Livi players we wanted. 

We were linked with Leigh earlier than his time at Dundee. We should have signed him from Livingston but Geoff wouldn’t pony up at the time. 

Leigh and a couple of his mates joined us playing 7’s at Meadowbank one night, as we were short of players. That was during his debut Livi season.

His talent was clear to see then and I was desperate for us to sign him. 

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Cleland is expected to stay, going by reports.

Maybury is the only coach not named.

I know that is all that is being talked about and with reserve football being all but binned I can understand why maybury would be going but I struggle to see why we would then add an extra coach into the first team squad when we have what looks like a hands on manager.

As i said may be on the assumption that Alex will be moving as assistant to Tommy in due course. 

12 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I know that is all that is being talked about and with reserve football being all but binned I can understand why maybury would be going but I struggle to see why we would then add an extra coach into the first team squad when we have what looks like a hands on manager.

As i said may be on the assumption that Alex will be moving as assistant to Tommy in due course. 

Cleland wont go with TW, hes been here far longer and hasnt left, and theres no close links between the two beyond two seasons of Cleland being his assistant.

A Message From The Manager

It's great to be home.

I'm absolutely delighted to be the Manager and I'm really looking forward to getting started. I've left a good Club down the road and I really enjoyed working with Gary Rowett at Millwall but when the Chairman called me and offered me this opportunity it was too good to turn down.

I know this place and the people at the Club very well. I've learned a lot during my time away from McDiarmid Park and now that I'm back I have new ideas I'd like to bring to the table.

I won't be making huge changes because there isn't a need to. I'll be putting my stamp on things and building on what is already a strong set-up here.

The squad is a lot younger than it was when I left a few years ago and I'm really looking forward to working with, developing and educating this group of players.

I think the Saints supporters know what they're going to get from me as a Manager. I will work hard, every single day, and do the job to the best of my ability. Hard work is crucial to success and I will do the job as passionately as I did when I was a player and an assistant.

These are strange times we find ourselves in just now but we'll get through it. The whole world is having to adapt to a 'new normal' and football is no exception.

We know that, at least for the first part of the new campaign, we'll be playing matches in empty stadiums which is sad because you - the fans - make football.

The Club will be doing everything possible to try and recreate that atmosphere for you while you watch at home but hopefully, in the not too distant future, we can welcome you back to the stadium.

I'm excited to be taking this fantastic football club forward. It's going to be a busy few weeks with the players reporting back on Monday for testing. All going well, training should resume by the end of this week as we prepare for the 2020/21 campaign.

Take care and see you soon.

Best wishes,

Callum Davidson
St. Johnstone Manager

57 minutes ago, mainstand said:

We can speculate all we like. It may be that there is nothing in the Macca story. It may be It may be Davidson doesn't get on with Clelland or vice versa.

It may be Davidson wants a forward coach.

One thing is sure SB will not pay wages he doesn't think justified.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Cleland wont go with TW, hes been here far longer and hasnt left, and theres no close links between the two beyond two seasons of Cleland being his assistant.

Random do you ever doubt yourself or does everything you think have to be definitive? Just need to wait and see what happens. 

What happened to your Liam as assistant prediction?? 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

We can speculate all we like. It may be that there is nothing in the Macca story. It may be It may be Davidson doesn't get on with Clelland or vice versa.

It may be Davidson wants a forward coach.

One thing is sure SB will not pay wages he doesn't think justified.

Totally agree cagey. It is purely speculation that macca is coming back and and also that maybury is getting the chop. 

Suspect all of the speculation is based purely on newspaper reports. 

On 6/19/2020 at 2:22 PM, dunblanemike said:

Did the club interview any other candidates? If they did I would love to know who they were.

Its going to be CD as manager with MacLean and Clelland  as joint First team coaches  along with Mathers and one other  already here but its not Maybury i don't think.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Random do you ever doubt yourself or does everything you think have to be definitive? Just need to wait and see what happens. 

What happened to your Liam as assistant prediction?? 

The Liam stuff was just my own guesswork, based on absolutely nothing other than guessing.

It's been reported from the moment TW left that Cleland would be remaining in place, and the man himself has talked about supporting the new manager throughout his entire time as caretaker.

Very happy that he’s going with 5-3-2,  I agree that those 3 young centre backs are the way forward. I do think we need another as back-up though. A Wotherspoon, Davidson, McCann midfield is great, but I’d like to see Butcher back too. I would like to see Hendry be a starter, and if MacLean joins we have 4 strikers, which is a luxury we haven’t had for a while.

He said he wants 2 to 3 signings: MacLean, Butcher/Holt and a centre-back.