New Manager

Linky

28 minutes ago, Linky said:

Very happy that he’s going with 5-3-2,  I agree that those 3 young centre backs are the way forward. I do think we need another as back-up though. A Wotherspoon, Davidson, McCann midfield is great, but I’d like to see Butcher back too. I would like to see Hendry be a starter, and if MacLean joins we have 4 strikers, which is a luxury we haven’t had for a while.

He said he wants 2 to 3 signings: MacLean, Butcher/Holt and a centre-back. 

I dont think MacLean was being touted as being a player?

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

His old team got beat 3_2 at home to Derby. Formation was apparently 4_4_1_1.

CD stated in BBC interview

He repeated his desire to recruit "two or three" players to bolster his "really good young squad". "I'm going to have to add. The chairman knows my opinion and what I'd like to bring in," Davidson explained. "There are good characters. A lot of players left at the end of this season. I'll probably try and nail down two systems.

What are those 2 systems? The players he brings in may give an indication

The suggestions seem to be 5-2-3 and 4-4-1-1. I wonder whether the first formation is the attacking one, where the wide strikers (May & O'Halloran?) go either side if needed. I imagine this would mean high pressing, stretching defences and getting balls in the box to Hendry.

4-4-11 - O'Halloran would drop back, and May slip in behind Hendry?

2 minutes ago, Linky said:

The suggestions seem to be 5-2-3 and 4-4-1-1. I wonder whether the first formation is the attacking one, where the wide strikers (May & O'Halloran?) go either side if needed. I imagine this would mean high pressing, stretching defences and getting balls in the box to Hendry.

4-4-11 - O'Halloran would drop back, and May slip in behind Hendry?

Well it's not going to be much of a surprise to teams that we play now that the new formation is leaked :rolleyes::lol:

Maybe will play total football with players interchanging

4-4-1-1 is essentially another word for 4-4-2 which is what we needed up playing last season. Watch the game against Rangers where May spent a large chunk of the game dropping in and sitting on Ryan Jack in midfield to stop him playing. 

As for the 3 at the back formation, it’s not going to differ much from what we played this season either. I don’t think Davidson is coming in and reinventing a wheel which was turning ever quickly and fluidly somehow. 

MacLean has been confirmed. Really hopes he keeps playing too, would be useful off the bench.

Why the decision to have no Assistant? Feels like a compromise to me, as if he wanted MacLean as Assistant, but couldn't get rid of Cleland. If Cleland is going to be first-team coach rather than Assistant, does that mean he has signed a new contract for the new role? Also, had Maybury's contract come to an end, or has it been cancelled?

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

MacLean has been confirmed. Really hopes he keeps playing too, would be useful off the bench.

Why the decision to have no Assistant? Feels like a compromise to me, as if he wanted MacLean as Assistant, but couldn't get rid of Cleland. If Cleland is going to be first-team coach rather than Assistant, does that mean he has signed a new contract for the new role? Also, had Maybury's contract come to an end, or has it been cancelled?

Hes hanging his boots up 

Cleland a strange situation. He must have had his contract as Assistant Manager cancelled and is now willing to re-sign as a coach. I would expect he has the same contract as Maclean. Which will mean a drop in wages. 

Going from being quoted as new manager to being demoted to coach must have given him some food for thought. But good on him for staying. Or was it he had nowhere else to go.

3 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Cleland a strange situation. He must have had his contract as Assistant Manager cancelled and is now willing to re-sign as a coach. I would expect he has the same contract as Maclean. Which will mean a drop in wages. 

Going from being quoted as new manager to being demoted to coach must have given him some food for thought. But good on him for staying. Or was it he had nowhere else to go.

Or is that he knows he has somewhere to go fairly soon (once Tommy has had the N. Ireland interview) & so is happy to have a lesser role for a little while to tide him over?

Cleland won’t have signed a new contract, never mind one for less money. I’d imagine no more than a conversation has taken place between CD and AC. Explaining how he wants his coaching setup to run.

We basically have 2 guys fulfilling that role, sharing the load and probably committing more time to other areas as a result. 

8 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Cleland won’t have signed a new contract, never mind one for less money. I’d imagine no more than a conversation has taken place between CD and AC. Explaining how he wants his coaching setup to run.

We basically have 2 guys fulfilling that role, sharing the load and probably committing more time to other areas as a result. 

As far as the practical side of it is concerned training for Saints used to involved Maybury taking the younger layers on the astro while the first team were on the back grass pitches. You wonder if they will share this now or have the younger players integrated into the first team squad. 

I also wonder if Callum will be similar to mcInnes who used to let Docherty do the coaching and got involved with the players by taking part in the training. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

As far as the practical side of it is concerned training for Saints used to involved Maybury taking the younger layers on the astro while the first team were on the back grass pitches. You wonder if they will share this now or have the younger players integrated into the first team squad. 

Yep, that's what I was thinking - more integration of young players and senior players, with more youngsters being brought into the first team squad and a smaller squad across the board, which has perhaps meant it's made sense to re-organise the coaching structure.

Very excited to have Macca back. By all accounts he's hanging up his boots to concentrate solely on coaching - but I can't help but think he'd still be a fantastic option to have in the playing squad, even if only to play in emergencies.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Yep, that's what I was thinking - more integration of young players and senior players, with more youngsters being brought into the first team squad and a smaller squad across the board, which has perhaps meant it's made sense to re-organise the coaching structure.

Very excited to have Macca back. By all accounts he's hanging up his boots to concentrate solely on coaching - but I can't help but think he'd still be a fantastic option to have in the playing squad, even if only to play in emergencies.

Would still be able to help out if we are short up front surely if registered as a player.

14 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I'd imagine we are run like most businesses, there are job descriptions, contracts for the various posts and salaries to match. One for the assistant manager and one for a coach. As Cleland is no longer assistant manager, will he now have a coaches job description and contract? If we believe that he and Maclean are are equal then they will both have the same salary. Are we paying two assistant managers salaries?