New Manager

Linky

7 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I'd imagine we are run like most businesses, there are job descriptions, contracts for the various posts and salaries to match. One for the assistant manager and one for a coach. As Cleland is no longer assistant manager, will he now have a coaches job description and contract? If we believe that he and Maclean are are equal then they will both have the same salary. Are we paying two assistant managers salaries?

I don’t think Macca will be on the same salary as Cleland. 

We’re really debating a tiny point here. St Johnstone still have a Manager and 2 senior coaches. We’ve just replaced Maybury for Macca. Macca is doing the 18’s too.

They’ll be sharing the exact same work and I doubt any grown up is going to care if they’re labelled 1st team coach or assistant coach. 

Different story if the role is a massive demotion but I’ve seen nothing to suggest that. I haven’t seen any news of AC signing a new contract. 

I don’t know how the football contracts work. They might not be as defined as you think with regards to job title and job description, given it’s all hands to the pump at clubs our size. 

17 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I'd imagine we are run like most businesses, there are job descriptions, contracts for the various posts and salaries to match. One for the assistant manager and one for a coach. As Cleland is no longer assistant manager, will he now have a coaches job description and contract? If we believe that he and Maclean are are equal then they will both have the same salary. Are we paying two assistant managers salaries?

There could be a salary scale within one job role, meaning that it's possible Macca could be at the bottom of that scale and Cleland could be at the top. People with the same job title don't necessarily have identical salaries, for all sorts of reasons. It could also be the case that Cleland is considered the more senior of the two so has slightly different responsibilities. As a fan I wouldn't expect to be provided with all the ins and outs of the arrangement. I think we can allow them a tiny bit of privacy!

Macca staying as a player is not just about stripping every week and getting the odd 15 mins. It’s also the time and energy to stay match sharp, which is many hours a week. And takes a place on the bench from a youngster.

Having said all that, Macca and May in the 2021 Cup Final versus Tommy Wright’s Dundee United anyone??

7 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Macca staying as a player is not just about stripping every week and getting the odd 15 mins. It’s also the time and energy to stay match sharp, which is many hours a week. And takes a place on the bench from a youngster.

Having said all that, Macca and May in the 2021 Cup Final versus Tommy Wright’s Dundee United anyone??

However having Macca as a backup may allow a youngster to go out on loan and play 90 minutes every week, rather than a token 5. I'd want him to keep his playing registration solely due to having him spare if needs must. Plus he's not taking up a playing wage, it's sort of the same as Craig, he's taking coaching and performing a dual role for one wage. I think he's the sort of person who's going to take part in training and stay fit irrespective of playing, that being said he's hardly going to be starting, if playing at all!

23 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

True, but it's not as if he'd be the first ever player-coach to manage it. Owen Coyle did it fairly successfully while managing us, albeit at a lower level.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

True, but it's not as if he'd be the first ever player-coach to manage it. Owen Coyle did it fairly successfully while managing us, albeit at a lower level.

Did he actually play that much for us?

He played for Burnleys reserve side once.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

He played quite a few times in his first season. I'd say he'll have 10+ appearances for us, although he looked pretty finished when he did.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:41 PM, Cagey said:

Aberdeen join Hibs in looking for cutbacks. We may get Hayes yet.

Gone to Aberdeen who he was that desperate to play that he has deferred his wages for a year. May not get his wages next season as Dons in a bit of financial trouble & have a stadium to build.

9 hours ago, montrosesaintee said:

Thinking back to some of the back up striking options we've had in our strongest teams - iwelumo, Fallon etc.  Macca is currently way superior to what they were at the time.  I'd love to see him on the playing books still.

Naw, folk have short memories, as good as Macca has been for us and I appreciated everything he brought to our team, when Hearts signed him I was most surprised, as I  felt he was past his best.

Can't see him pulling on the boots in earnest (whoever he is :laugh:) , and there was no mention of it when he signed on again.

18 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

According to Wikipedia he played 16 times for us - I know it's not the most reliable of sources but that number sounds about right to me. When he joined us he'd scored 249 career goals and he did a few interviews where he mentioned wanting to score his 250th for us, but he never got it.

My memory of that season is that even though his performances were fairly average, the other players around him always seemed to raise their game and play better when he was on the pitch.

7 hours ago, Center Half said:

Interestingly when i passed the training area yesterday i got a fleeting glimpse of Liam marking out a training area  id like to start that rumour here right now! ^_^ 

Also they were all wearing a very deep Royal l blue training Kit looked good from the  distance.

There are pictures on the saints site of Liam arriving for training carrying his boots. Surprised at him being involved in coaching with the management team and sports scientist all taking them. 

23 hours ago, Center Half said:

Interestingly when i passed the training area yesterday i got a fleeting glimpse of Liam marking out a training area  id like to start that rumour here right now! ^_^ 

Also they were all wearing a very deep Royal l blue training Kit looked good from the  distance.

I think with the fact the the players have to train in 5s they will probably use Liam who has his A & B & will be happy to keep his hand in.

18 hours ago, mainstand said:

There are pictures on the saints site of Liam arriving for training carrying his boots. Surprised at him being involved in coaching with the management team and sports scientist all taking them. 

What would he be carrying Wellies! 

Edited by Center Half