Linky

New Manager

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Gary MacKay, ex Hearts, stating taht Tommy Wright is the only man for Hearts. Wants Budge to go out and get him.

What Hearts want and what they get are two very different things. Tommy isn’t going to be in a rush to get back to football and he certainly isn’t going to take a job before Northern Ireland figure out what they’re doing. 

if you check the Hearts forum, 3/4 of them hate the man for some reason and would hate him to get the job. Plus there’s not a chance he’d work with Budge at the helm, if he thinks he’s had bust ups with Brown over stuff, she’d drive him insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Widge said:

What Hearts want and what they get are two very different things. Tommy isn’t going to be in a rush to get back to football and he certainly isn’t going to take a job before Northern Ireland figure out what they’re doing. 

if you check the Hearts forum, 3/4 of them hate the man for some reason and would hate him to get the job. Plus there’s not a chance he’d work with Budge at the helm, if he thinks he’s had bust ups with Brown over stuff, she’d drive him insane. 

Tommy knows the only way is down when you leave Saints hearts nae chance if true, Ni job for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Scott Burns is saying St Johnstones preferred option is Callum Davidson.

Persuading Callum will be the hard job,he'll be on much more money Millwall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the man that stands out is John Hughes. He's only managed 2 clubs of a similar size to Saints and was the most successful Falkirk manager in living memory and won Caley a trophy.

He plays great football too and while winning is more important, better football wouldn't be bad to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

For me, the man that stands out is John Hughes. He's only managed 2 clubs of a similar size to Saints and was the most successful Falkirk manager in living memory and won Caley a trophy.

He plays great football too and while winning is more important, better football wouldn't be bad to see.

We've had a great deal of success in recent times by staying away from the Scottish football "usual suspects" when it comes to employing a manager. Hopefully this continues.

It's a no from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

For me, the man that stands out is John Hughes. He's only managed 2 clubs of a similar size to Saints and was the most successful Falkirk manager in living memory and won Caley a trophy.

He plays great football too and while winning is more important, better football wouldn't be bad to see.

Thought you were more a Craig brown fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

For me, the man that stands out is John Hughes. He's only managed 2 clubs of a similar size to Saints and was the most successful Falkirk manager in living memory and won Caley a trophy.

He plays great football too and while winning is more important, better football wouldn't be bad to see.

Ha ha ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

For me, the man that stands out is John Hughes. He's only managed 2 clubs of a similar size to Saints and was the most successful Falkirk manager in living memory and won Caley a trophy.

He plays great football too and while winning is more important, better football wouldn't be bad to see.

Interesting... but I'd say no. He certainly has a fairly impressive CV from the outside, but have no idea as to the all important Broonie requirement... spending within our means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tucker said:

Persuading Callum will be the hard job,he'll be on much more money Millwall

Yup. Callum has stated that he's happy there, continuing to learn etc. Wouldn't be surprised if SB has made him an offer which would make him the highest paid Saints manager by quite a margin. We'll know in a week. The Robertson angle must be a backup choice. Sure, there's the Hearts angle, & Stendel's apparent release clause, but hearts are caught up in their psychadelic league re-construction legal action. Apparently.  I wouldn't have an issue appointing Robertson,  does well, maybe Hearts, or whomever come sniffing after 2-3 years. Same goes for Callum at the end of the day. One question I'd like to ask TW is was he ever approached/applied for a role at another club in his 7 years?

Edited by Melbourne Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

He was made an offer by DU couple of years back, turned it down. 

Why will we know in a week?

Because (despite what SB said "no rush"), which he has to say, we need to appoint our preferred manager- be it Callum/Robertson/whomever, pretty quickly. Callum knows the system /squad etc, but question marks if he'll come. Even if he does, clubs will be actively sounding at players as we speak. We'd look a bit daft approaching agents/players (or agents approaching us) if we don't have a confirmed manager. I wouldn't take a job without knowing who my boss was. So I'd expect something next week. That's us almost into June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

For me, the man that stands out is John Hughes. He's only managed 2 clubs of a similar size to Saints and was the most successful Falkirk manager in living memory and won Caley a trophy.

He plays great football too and while winning is more important, better football wouldn't be bad to see.

Away you go! John Hughes! Hahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Because (despite what SB said "no rush"), which he has to say, we need to appoint our preferred manager- be it Callum/Robertson/whomever, pretty quickly. Callum knows the system /squad etc, but question marks if he'll come. Even if he does, clubs will be actively sounding at players as we speak. We'd look a bit daft approaching agents/players (or agents approaching us) if we don't have a confirmed manager. I wouldn't take a job without knowing who my boss was. So I'd expect something next week. That's us almost into June.

I would think Kirsten will be doing the negotiations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely despite the current pandemic, it is imperative to appoint a manager sooner rather than later? It has been well documented that it wasn’t a case of if TW moved on but rather when, so I’d like to think our club would have been proactive and have had some kind of contingency plan in place?
I feel Saints are currently missing a trick not having an appointment in place, everyday we are reading about another professional out of contract.  I realise most clubs are in the same boat not knowing what/when things are going to happen so you don’t want it being a double whammy not having a manager too.  No point trying to save a few quid with a late appointment when you end up missing some good signings? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could end up making no matchday income next season as theres a real chance every game has to be played behind closed doors.

You can talk about German football returning, but the amount of money they're spending to get games on is astronomical. They hire out an entire hotel for one squad, who all stay in separate rooms. They then hire multiple buses to get the squad to the game so they can keep their distance. Multiple tests are done before and after the game (an EFL League Two chairman claims it costs £18k per match if they do it, not sure if that's just one test or multiple).

Theres a real chance Scottish football cant start up again until January. We have a solid squad just now who could see us avoiding relegation over a season, surely people see that you cant spend a fortune this Summer if you dont need to?

You cant be reckless when theres no guaranteed income.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there really is no matchday income before late summer 2021, then without a very good TV deal and/or a government bailout (eg picking up the cost of testing) there’s going to be carnage amongst Scottish clubs. Many will go bust, many could revert to amateur status. We could be guaranteed top six before kicking a ball.

My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that IF there is no significant second wave, crowds will start to be allowed back around Christmas time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

If there really is no matchday income before late summer 2021, then without a very good TV deal and/or a government bailout (eg picking up the cost of testing) there’s going to be carnage amongst Scottish clubs. Many will go bust, many could revert to amateur status. We could be guaranteed top six before kicking a ball.

My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that IF there is no significant second wave, crowds will start to be allowed back around Christmas time.

Aye. Either way some Scottish clubs arent going to make it through this, at one level or another.

People demanding we make signings just now are missing the point. Next season will be entirely about surviving as a club, no matter what division it sees you end up in.

Edited by RandomGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Yup. Callum has stated that he's happy there, continuing to learn etc. Wouldn't be surprised if SB has made him an offer which would make him the highest paid Saints manager by quite a margin. We'll know in a week. The Robertson angle must be a backup choice. 

Not convinced about any of that. I'd be very surprised if it's Saints intention to make the new person "the highest paid Saints manager by quite a margin". Tommy signed several new contracts during his time with us, and had a lot of success behind him to negotiate with, so will have been on a very good salary. I think Saints will, quite understandably, use this as an opportunity to have a manager who earns significantly less. And given that Callum Davidson has no management experience, I can't think of a single reason why the club would offer him more than Tommy was on.

You seem to have made up your mind that we'll be appointing a new manager within a week or so, but I really wouldn't be holding my breath. It's very possible that we'll have no matches, or even any proper training, for months and months. The club's priority needs to be surviving this situation and looking after the existing staff. Bringing in an expensive manager now would be borderline irresponsible. For the time being we have Cleland to do whatever limited duties are required - that's what he's there for. 

For what it's worth I also think the new manager will end up being someone outside the three or four names currently being touted as favourites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...