Linky

New Manager

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, rickardo said:

Well I wish they would bloody hurry up and appoint someone , Saints at there best slow to do everything .Give the new man a chance to meet his squad and basics like that.

That'll be the squad who isn't allowed to even be near each other until next week?

I don't get this rush to get someone in, the squad is already in place with coaches who know them and the set ups that work. Even if a new manager has new ideas, they aren't going to be implemented immediately. Plus right now we've probably saved circa £10-15k by not having a manager which right now isn't an insignificant amount. 

I'd much rather the club focus on keeping us in a good, financial, healthy position and takes their time to get the right manager, than rush into things and appoint another Connelly or Stark just to appease fans who want something to happen now! This apparent need for information and action from the club immediately is ridiculous, given they're probably working with 20% of the normal staff and there's a lot more going on in Scottish football right now to devote their time in telling the fans what Liam Craig had for breakfast.

Do I want a manager to have as much time with the squad as possible, sure. Is there maybe someone already lined up and agreed, but not announced, sure. Do I think the players will become amateur and rubbish, forgetting everything they know simply because there isn't someone else shouting at them, absolutely not. We could go into a new season with the squad and coaching staff we have and be fine, simply by playing the same as we did for the second half of last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Widge said:

We could go into a new season with the squad and coaching staff we have and be fine, simply by playing the same as we did for the second half of last season. 

What if the new manager does not want to play the same way. He may have his own ideas, formations and the tactics to play them. If so the players and coaching need to get up to speed with them asap. I am on the side; we need a manager in place when the players start back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Johnny B said:

What if the new manager does not want to play the same way. He may have his own ideas, formations and the tactics to play them. If so the players and coaching need to get up to speed with them asap. I am on the side; we need a manager in place when the players start back.

Fair comment!  Although why would we be interviewing and appointing a manager with vastly different ideas than what are there at present, surely if you have a reasonably successful business/football team you do not completely alter what is working for the sake of change?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Johnny B said:

What if the new manager does not want to play the same way. He may have his own ideas, formations and the tactics to play them. If so the players and coaching need to get up to speed with them asap. I am on the side; we need a manager in place when the players start back.

For the first 2 weeks the players will be pretty much working on fitness and ball skills and doing very little in the way of shape and tactics, that will come when they start looking at friendlies and closed doors games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

So instead of running with a manager next season we are looking for magicians: 

 

Good to see the Chairman talking down the club again. Seriously, this man seems to have no clue about how to speak to the media in a way that puts the club in the best light.

“St. Johnstone isn’t exactly a colossus of Scottish football”. Why does he need to say these things? Why not “we’re a small family club, and whilst we can’t match the bigger clubs financially off the field, we try to make sure that we give them a challenge on the field”. Or just something other than this constant negativity.

”You only need 11 players”. When his company is trying to sell houses, do they say to customers “oh, sorry it’s a bit dark in here, but Steve has always said you only need one window”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Linky said:

Good to see the Chairman talking down the club again. Seriously, this man seems to have no clue about how to speak to the media in a way that puts the club in the best light.

“St. Johnstone isn’t exactly a colossus of Scottish football”. Why does he need to say these things? Why not “we’re a small family club, and whilst we can’t match the bigger clubs financially off the field, we try to make sure that we give them a challenge on the field”. Or just something other than this constant negativity.

”You only need 11 players”. When his company is trying to sell houses, do they say to customers “oh, sorry it’s a bit dark in here, but Steve has always said you only need one window”.

I think it was a good article . I don't think anyone would take ,the only need 11 players as anything other than an attempt at mirth..

The comment about the size of squad makes it look more than likely to be Davidson or Clelland as manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think it was a good article . I don't think anyone would take ,the only need 11 players as anything other than an attempt at mirth..

The comment about the size of squad makes it look more than likely to be Davidson or Clelland as manager.

Really? I think the Chairman uses any conversation with the press to try to talk down the club as much as he can, & it is grating. Part of his role is to essentially be a salesman, to spin things to raise the profile of the club & help its success. Why tell the press no players are coming in? That should be something private, as it’s going to put off a lot of potential managers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mainstand said:

For the first 2 weeks the players will be pretty much working on fitness and ball skills and doing very little in the way of shape and tactics, that will come when they start looking at friendlies and closed doors games. 

Not what Steve Robinson said on the radio on Saturday. Is he lying? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

He said they work on shape from the start. Maybe that's why he's manager of the third best team in the country and you manage nobody. 

So Stephen Robinson has zero idea on how St Johnstone train during pre-season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

Not what Steve Robinson said on the radio on Saturday. Is he lying? 

Steve Robinson said they will be able to get some basic shape work done whilst still observing the  physical distancing rules. Not quite the same as working on tactics and implementing a revised playing style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Abbots Deuglie Saint said:

No mainstand does. Its quite simple. 

You are the sort of fan that would be happy with Jim Duffy as manager. 

Where have I said anything about a new manager?

All I wondered was why you're saying St Johnstone will train a certain way because Stephen Robinson said so, as if he either had a part in St Johnstones training, or was some form of elite coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Widge said:

I'm looking forward to the players trying out any new system, i.e marking from corners, etc. whilst keeping apart by 2m!

Stephen Robinson said his players are only staying 1m apart, so St Johnstone should do that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Stephen Robinson said his players are only staying 1m apart, so St Johnstone should do that too.

I think there are 2 different things. from what I have seen the 2 metre distance separation for clubs applies from June 11 to the date that we move to phase 2. (hopefully friday) I think players then have to be tested twice weekly after that date. Provided all okay they can engage in contact training. Pretty sure prior to phase 2 players have to be a maximum of 2 per quarter of a pitch. 

Robinson is being silly if he is thumbing his nose at the rules cause they will just stop training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cagey said:

The comment about the size of squad makes it look more than likely to be Davidson or Clelland as manager.

I think you're really reaching there... nothing in that interview really indicates anything about who the manager is likely to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...