POLL: Who do you want as the new Saints manager?

blueheaven

Tommy Wright's replacement  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Robertson might be waiting for the Hearts job anyway, I can't see Stendel lasting for much longer, even if they do stay up. Although, his willingness to take a huge pay-cut may have bought him some time.

Bringing in a young manager with a decent reputation as a player, who has potential, and can then be snapped up by other clubs for a decent fee is the way to go. Healy would fit into that bracket, as would Boa Morte, Lovenkrands, etc.

21 minutes ago, Linky said:

Robertson might be waiting for the Hearts job anyway, I can't see Stendel lasting for much longer, even if they do stay up. Although, his willingness to take a huge pay-cut may have bought him some time.

I reckon coronavirus has probably saved Stendel - if Hearts had gone down I think he'd have been binned, but if they stay up in a 14-team league he'll probably get another chance.

22 minutes ago, Linky said:

Bringing in a young manager with a decent reputation as a player, who has potential, and can then be snapped up by other clubs for a decent fee is the way to go. Healy would fit into that bracket, as would Boa Morte, Lovenkrands, etc.

Boa Morte and Lovenkrands have not managed a team. We need someone with experience. Just like Tommy had. We cannot go down the line of appointing someone "who has potential"

45 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Boa Morte and Lovenkrands have not managed a team. We need someone with experience. Just like Tommy had. We cannot go down the line of appointing someone "who has potential"

Like Lomas, McInnes & Coyle you mean?

You're right - we need experience, like Connolly & Stark had!

Seriously, a big name player (who therefore brings media attention), who has been assistant manager or coach at bigger clubs (& therefore has contacts, & has learned their trade from better quality managers) is the way to go. These sorts are hungry for success, bring in professionalism, and make players want to come and play for the club.

5 minutes ago, Linky said:

Like Lomas, McInnes & Coyle you mean?

You're right - we need experience, like Connolly & Stark had!

Seriously, a big name player (who therefore brings media attention), who has been assistant manager or coach at bigger clubs (& therefore has contacts, & has learned their trade from better quality managers) is the way to go. These sorts are hungry for success, bring in professionalism, and make players want to come and play for the club.

We will have to agree to disagree 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

We will have to agree to disagree 

I understand wanting experience, I just think that with a club our size, any manager with experience is likely to be one of the same old names or simply have had the ‘experience’ of being sacked a number of times. We need to go for the ‘up and coming’ angle.

Honestly surprised there aren’t more people keen on David Hopkin. 

Got Livi up from the Championship with one of the smallest budgets in the league. Had a bad spell at Bradford, but left quickly. 

Seems to have really steadied the ship at Morton and is supposedly a very, very good coach. 

20 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Got Livi up from the Championship with one of the smallest budgets in the league. Had a bad spell at Bradford, but left quickly. 

Seems to have really steadied the ship at Morton and is supposedly a very, very good coach. 

That is also another I thinks would be good

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

Was his drug dealing assistant not credited for what Livi did & still is.

16 hours ago, Johnny B said:

I think it's unlikely we'll go for someone with bags of experience (and even Tommy didn't really have all that much). Most 'gettable' managers with significant experience are the guys constantly on the managerial merry-go-round like Hughes, Butcher, Pressley etc (and I'd put John Robertson on that list too). That's just not Saints' style, especially after we got our fingers burned with Stark and Connolly. I'm expecting us to go for another young coach or retiring player who is looking for either a first or second management job. Remember, McInnes had barely even done any coaching, let alone managing, but Geoff Brown had seen something in his attitude that convinced him he could do the job.

Don't think it will be Boa Morte or Lovenkrands though - these are just guys being touted for everything by their agents.

By the way - I'm pretty sure, from memories of previous reports, that there has only ever been one occasion where the Browns have appointed a manager based on them applying for the job, and that was Lomas. Every other manager was either targeted and then head-hunted, or promoted from within.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think it's unlikely we'll go for someone with bags of experience (and even Tommy didn't really have all that much)

2003–2005    Limavady United
2005–2008    Ballymena United
2009–2011    Lisburn Distillery

8 years as a manager not much experience That was good a grounding and a great apprenticeship. Some of the names mentioned will be serving their apprenticeship as our manager.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

...it might also be worth considering - who are the younger coaches, senior players or recent retirees from Kilmarnock who Kirsten might recommend for the job?

Alex Dyer hasn't got the job fully.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

2003–2005    Limavady United
2005–2008    Ballymena United
2009–2011    Lisburn Distillery

8 years as a manager not much experience That was good a grounding and a great apprenticeship. Some of the names mentioned will be serving their apprenticeship as our manager.

What I meant was that in comparison to people like John Robertson, John Hughes, Stephen Pressley etc, Tommy's experience wasn't especially significant. He'd never managed in Scotland, and I don't think the teams listed above are even full-time. But yes, I agree that he'd had some grounding in management.

Personally I don't really have an issue with managers serving their apprenticeships with Saints. As already mentioned, we've done it before and it's been a successful approach for us.