SPFL return & virtual season ticket

blueheaven

Just now, Abernethy Saint said:

Biggest question is, will this only be open to ST holders in the normal sense? There must be a huge market of folk who can’t afford a traditional ST, and/or can’t easily get to games. I’m guessing Sky are concerned about losing their own viewers, but it’s only for a few months, surely!

That's what I wondered. Living in Yorkshire, a ST is no use to me. But a virtual ST might be. (Except I don't have Sky...)

So many questions. I assume Sky aren't actually broadcasting these matches and it will be up to the clubs to stream them themselves - which may mean the virtual season ticket wouldn't include any of the matches shown on Sky?

If this buys you virtual access to all home matches for a whole season, what happens if fans start being allowed into matches again - will they have to buy a normal season ticket too, or would the virtual one cover both ways of watching the game?

Also: can't they come up with a way to offer away matches too? Or will we be able to buy single-match virtual tickets for those?

Could be a great concept and I'm up for buying one, but it might have been nice if they'd explained it a bit better at the same time as announcing it.

Celtic stating it is for season ticket holders only and if you have already bought one it will be included already and will remain in place while social distancing measures remain. 

Hope saints make it clear how this will work, could be tempted but would want to watch it on my telly not on my iPhone. 

4 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Biggest question is, will this only be open to ST holders in the normal sense? There must be a huge market of folk who can’t afford a traditional ST, and/or can’t easily get to games. I’m guessing Sky are concerned about losing their own viewers, but it’s only for a few months, surely!

4 hours ago, sleepless said:

That's what I wondered. Living in Yorkshire, a ST is no use to me. But a virtual ST might be. (Except I don't have Sky...)

Celtic have said the virtual season tickets "will be available while fans are unable to attend games", which reads as if that changes once grounds are opened up again.

So I think if you're in England and buy a season ticket, you'll only get to see the games live at 3 on a Saturday until grounds return to normal. Unsure if you would then be allowed a refund, or if youd be stuck with what you have.

A suggestion on Twitter that to avoid such scenarios, only existing season ticket holders will be offered it.

26 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Ewan Murray on twitter stating that there is a limit on the number of virtual season tickets which are set equal to the number of tickets sold in 2018/19. 

Can't understand it if it is. 

Some people are saying that'll be for games broadcast live on Sky, so viewers won't leave Sky to watch Saints TV instead.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Celtic have said the virtual season tickets "will be available while fans are unable to attend games", which reads as if that changes once grounds are opened up again.

So I think if you're in England and buy a season ticket, you'll only get to see the games live at 3 on a Saturday until grounds return to normal. Unsure if you would then be allowed a refund, or if youd be stuck with what you have.

Motherwell have said something similar. A bit of a blow for those of us in England! I'm wondering if the ban on broadcasting 3pm Saturday games will ever be put back in place, now that it's been lifted.

I noticed last night Aberdeen fans were asking their Twitter account if they'd be able to buy virtual tickets for individual matches, but were being given a very cagey response along the lines of "setting it up for season ticket holders is the priority".

Sky are getting a lot of praise for allowing this to happen, but at this stage it does seem like their conditions are going to be very restrictive and may actually prevent clubs from making more money by streaming the matches to as wide an audience as possible.