September 1978

Andy OUFC

I had to be sure because I also have a tale to tell about visiting other grounds. 

My English team has been Wolves since I was a boy and I've only ever seen them once. At Oxford. It was 1-1 after about 5 minutes, then the rain came on. And it stayed on. I was in the away end with a tee shirt on, got soaked, the game turned to s**t and we left early. Ran a gauntlet of young local rebels, got back to the car and turned the radio on for the updates from other games.

It was the day Saints beat Aberdeen 5-0.

1 hour ago, cristo said:

I had to be sure because I also have a tale to tell about visiting other grounds. 

My English team has been Wolves since I was a boy and I've only ever seen them once. At Oxford. It was 1-1 after about 5 minutes, then the rain came on. And it stayed on. I was in the away end with a tee shirt on, got soaked, the game turned to s**t and we left early. Ran a gauntlet of young local rebels, got back to the car and turned the radio on for the updates from other games.

I took my two sons to Blackpool about five years ago. We went to watch Morecambe playing Wolves in the League Cup. Griffiths got some abuse from us wearing our Saints tops. The home fans thought it was hilarious, especially since they knocked Wolves out.

1 hour ago, cristo said:

I was living in Stamford, Lincolnshire then. I was playing cricket for Stamford Town and was rat-arsed from an early stage, no idea of football results (no internet then). In the Lord Burghley later that night someone told me we'd beaten the Dons 5-0 at Pittodrie. "Aye right," I said. Next morning I read the papers...

It's fascinating the different memories people have of the same event

15 minutes ago, sleepless said:

I was living in Stamford, Lincolnshire then. I was playing cricket for Stamford Town and was rat-arsed from an early stage, no idea of football results (no internet then). In the Lord Burghley later that night someone told me we'd beaten the Dons 5-0 at Pittodrie. "Aye right," I said. Next morning I read the papers...

It's fascinating the different memories people have of the same event

Don't think we've ever won 5-0 at pittodrie, not that I can remember anyway and i could be wrong,  5-1 recently though.

In 1990 Hospital Radio Perth had a very active member who was a minister from the USA living and working in Perth.  He was keen to experience all aspects of Scotland while he and his family were here.  He was always asking about how the Saint Soccer team were doing so we decided to invite him along to a game.   It turned out to be Saints 5 Aberdeen 0 and myself and the other commentator were just about dancing with delight.  Having spent some time explaining football to the guest, I decided at the end to ask him, live on air, what he thought of the match.   He replied, "It was all right I suppose but St Johnstone should have made more use of penalties!"  I swear I saw tumbleweed roll past as we tried to come up with an answer.

Anyhoo, one of the heroes of that day was two goal Mark Treanor who did take advantage of the penalty.  Mark joins us on Tuesday TeamTalk this coming Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Andy OUFC said:

My only other game in scotland was Hibs v St Mirren in 87... 1-1 draw... I don't know why but i always followed Forfar's results when i was a sprog... Follow the underdog i suppose

I seem to recall Forfar had a wee purple patch of amazing cup runs around that time, including some great games against Rangers*. I think we all had Forfar as our wee team for a while!

Andy, what’s the story with George Thorne? I know he has had his injuries but last I heard he was fully fit. No sign of him in the play-offs. 

I once joked with him to come to Saints on loan when Marcus Haber was here. They were at WBA together.

3 hours ago, Dave Ferg said:

Andy, what’s the story with George Thorne? I know he has had his injuries but last I heard he was fully fit. No sign of him in the play-offs. 

I once joked with him to come to Saints on loan when Marcus Haber was here. They were at WBA together.

Thorne has been dogged by injuries, dislocated his shoulder in september made a come back in febuary for 4 games and was fit but apoarently he wasn't fit for the play offs, shame as he's a classy player

Forfar has been my "wee" team for many years cos I lived in Kirriemuir from 99 to 07. If I couldn't make the Saints game I'd go to Station Park.

Funny, I still remember Forfar being a better team than Saints for a spell, mid eighties I think.

11 hours ago, Hospital Radio Perth said:

In 1990 Hospital Radio Perth had a very active member who was a minister from the USA living and working in Perth.  He was keen to experience all aspects of Scotland while he and his family were here.  He was always asking about how the Saint Soccer team were doing so we decided to invite him along to a game.   It turned out to be Saints 5 Aberdeen 0 and myself and the other commentator were just about dancing with delight.  Having spent some time explaining football to the guest, I decided at the end to ask him, live on air, what he thought of the match.   He replied, "It was all right I suppose but St Johnstone should have made more use of penalties!"  I swear I saw tumbleweed roll past as we tried to come up with an answer.

Anyhoo, one of the heroes of that day was two goal Mark Treanor who did take advantage of the penalty.  Mark joins us on Tuesday TeamTalk this coming Tuesday.

Indeed Mark got 2 as did Roddy, with Maskrey also puting the Dons to the sword. (See what I done there).

The Title decider was played on the last game of the season between the Dons and Rangers.

With 2 Mark Hateley goals at Ibrox deciding the winners.

Good luck to Mark Treanor and your team John.

Edited by HOODLUM65