Return of fans during Covid-19 pandemic

Dave H

16 hours ago, Cagey said:

No fan of OF but would it be fair or acceptable to them if we could let all our fans in & they only get 25% in.

Yes, if every club is allowed to fill the same percentage of their stadium, then that is fair. They have many more supporters than us, but that's why they've built bigger grounds.

I really don't see what alternative there is at this stage.

Test cricket and the snooker World Championships have already been given the go-ahead to trial small crowds, and the French football cup final had some the other day (and a braw punch-up on the pitch). 

If the virus stays on it’s present track in Scotland, I think you’ll see trials of football crowds in September or October. 

Clubs will be given a set of extremely strict criteria to meet. Distancing, entry & exit arrangements, ticket buying, toilets, stewarding etc etc. That will translate into different numbers and percentages at different grounds. 

At Celtic Park, that might mean 10,000. At Saints? I’d say 1,000 - 1,500, much less to start with. At some very small clubs who can’t afford special measures, it might mean 50. How will they do that - there’s a dozen different ways, but don’t expect a Scotland-wide rule; each club will figure out how to get the most in their particular ground whilst meeting the criteria is my guess. You would have to prioritise ST holders - they’ve already paid to get in. Might be rotation to start with. Eg, numbers 1 - whatever one week, the rest the next or something. I’d be prepared for long delays.

When The People* inevitably ignore the rules and group together to call for Catholic exsanguination, you can be sure there will be a crackdown. Football is only being played at all because of a special exemption from the rules which can be  removed as quickly as it was brought in. Same goes for letting fans in. There can be no half-arsed SFPPLFPL pretendy measures and looking the other way with Saint Nicola (who doesn’t even like football, obviously her only fault) looking over there shoulders. There’s no way the Government will allow mass coverage of twats being twats at the football when folk are still losing their jobs, losing their holidays or unable to see off dead grannies as they would like. The optics, as they say nowadays, would be terrible, and retribution would be swift and expensive.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

On 7/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, Pat McGroin said:

Not convinced we’ll ever see a vaccine personally 

There has never been a successful vaccine for a Coronavirus. But there has never been anything like this effort thrown at it. People often say they can’t even cure the common cold. Big pharma makes BILLIONS out of the common cold, that’s why. I’m not convinced, but I think they will. Cue the anti-vaxxer morons.

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

At Celtic Park, that might mean 10,000. At Saints? I’d say 1,000 - 1,500, much less to start with. 

Why would you expect Celtic Park to be allowed to admit a higher percentage of its capacity than McDiarmid Park? Unless there's an issue I'm not thinking of, I'd say McDiarmid is as well-positioned to enforce social distancing measures as any other ground in the country.

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

There can be no half-arsed SFPPLFPL pretendy measures and looking the other way with Saint Nicola (who doesn’t even like football, obviously her only fault) looking over there shoulders. There’s no way the Government will allow mass coverage of twats being twats at the football when folk are still losing their jobs, losing their holidays or unable to see off dead grannies as they would like. The optics, as they say nowadays, would be terrible, and retribution would be swift and expensive.

And there she was pictured in the National womens team dressing room celebrating their success in getting to the Finals. You mean our FM was just doing it as a photo opportunity :shock:

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

And there she was pictured in the National womens team dressing room celebrating their success in getting to the Finals. You mean our FM was just doing it as a photo opportunity :shock:

No, she was celebrating their success in reaching the finals. She also doesn’t like football - she has said this several times in the last few weeks because journalists keep asking her about football. I’m at a loss to understand why you find these things somehow mutually exclusive. I don’t like brockley, but I would be pleased if I had a mate who was a brockley farmer who won the World Brockley Growing Championships.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Why would you expect Celtic Park to be allowed to admit a higher percentage of its capacity than McDiarmid Park? Unless there's an issue I'm not thinking of, I'd say McDiarmid is as well-positioned to enforce social distancing measures as any other ground in the country.

Where in that quote does it say I expected it? I picked a number to make a comparison. It won’t be about percentages - some grounds might be able to take in a much higher percentage because of factors like width of entryways, number of turnstiles etc. It will be about adhering to criteria and seeing where that takes you. If somehow you can meet the criteria and take in 80%, well done you. Imposing some arbitrary flat rate percentage to every ground in Scotland makes no sense, and it won’t be done that way with the possible exception of early trials.

Edited to say, as it’s raining and I’m bored, if you do the maths there is actually only a couple of per cent between the hypothetical figures I gave, based on ground capacity. But that’s meaningless in the case of Saints, who extremely rarely get anywhere near capacity. If you base it on average crowds, the HYPOTHETICAL figures I gave work out around 18% for Celtic, and 30 - 50% for Saints. I’ve said previously on here that clubs who generally have mostly empty stadia won’t be as badly affected. 

5 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Where in that quote does it say I expected it? I picked a number to make a comparison. It won’t be about percentages - some grounds might be able to take in a much higher percentage because of factors like width of entryways, number of turnstiles etc. It will be about adhering to criteria and seeing where that takes you. If somehow you can meet the criteria and take in 80%, well done you. Imposing some arbitrary flat rate percentage to every ground in Scotland makes no sense, and it won’t be done that way with the possible exception of early trials.

Well, you seemed to be suggesting that Celtic will be able to fill a bigger percentage of their ground than Saints will. So I was asking you what that was based on, that's all.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I imagine they might give every club leeway to allow "up to 25% of capacity" into the ground, and if clubs can't go that high safely then they just go as high as they can.

They might, but it wouldn’t make any sense. If a ground can take 30% safely, why should 5% sit at home? Where did this talk of percentages come from?

The more I contemplate this 20/21 season, I fear no fans will be permitted in the stadium, even though I feel most clubs could implement safe attendance.... the very thought of catering for the home fans of the Glasgow giants just kills any optimistic thoughts of getting into a game.   Any Scottish decisions will be taken with only 2 clubs in mind....  the first old firm might be the earliest we might get into a game.     Home fans only should be the approach to start.    

I'm contemplating the live stream, but not interested in watching on tv at premium prices.  I'm not an advocate for pay per view at best of times.  I'm currently not renewing my season ticket or paying for live streams at moment.  100% I will not be streaming any away game.   Is the Scottish game going to collapse, surely I'm not the only one thinking of little to no spending.

LET ME IN!   

7 hours ago, Dave H said:

The more I contemplate this 20/21 season, I fear no fans will be permitted in the stadium, even though I feel most clubs could implement safe attendance.... the very thought of catering for the home fans of the Glasgow giants just kills any optimistic thoughts of getting into a game.   Any Scottish decisions will be taken with only 2 clubs in mind....  the first old firm might be the earliest we might get into a game.     Home fans only should be the approach to start.    

I'm contemplating the live stream, but not interested in watching on tv at premium prices.  I'm not an advocate for pay per view at best of times.  I'm currently not renewing my season ticket or paying for live streams at moment.  100% I will not be streaming any away game.   Is the Scottish game going to collapse, surely I'm not the only one thinking of little to no spending.

LET ME IN!   

I have bought season tickets and will be paying for away matches. I also just subscribed to Premier for more games this season. 

I see a few complaints about Saints prices for pay per view but as they say any cheaper then why bother with a season ticket. 

8 hours ago, Dave H said:

I know things can change quickly but as things stand I wouldn't have thought we're *that* far from a small number of fans being allowed in to matches. I know it's different down here in England but they've just allowed 1,000 to attend a cricket match at the Oval, and from this Friday cinemas are going to be re-opening (I'd have thought a cinema is a much bigger risk than a football stadium). I reckon they might start trialling small numbers of fans being let into grounds from September, as long as things haven't worsened by then.

50 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I have bought season tickets and will be paying for away matches. I also just subscribed to Premier for more games this season. 

I see a few complaints about Saints prices for pay per view but as they say any cheaper then why bother with a season ticket. 

Suddenly, my senior season ticket looks extremely good value!

I get the logic that PPV shouldn’t be cheaper than the cost of watching that comes with a ST, and I have total respect for ST holders, especially those who can’t even get to many matches. Worth noting though that only one other Club, Livy, have taken this view. £17.50 is a bit high, and I’ll probably go for a dodgy stream, allegedly, or the radio. Surely the point is maximising revenue? And ST holders will get in first when grounds partially open. I’d have made the first game free to watch, and a tenner a time maximum thereafter. 

• 3 months later...