John Davies

JmSG

Greetings, I want to ask about this former player of the club, he played in the club at the beginning of the nineties, he was signed from Clydebank and later he left for Airdrie, does anyone remember in what positions he played?

My memories are...

Scoring a penalty shootout winner against Patrick (maybe) and getting hauled across to the East Stand by Totten to get some applause. He was a bit of a target when things weren't going well.

Giving his brother's name when he stopped by the police (can't remember why he did that...Did he have his brother's car or something?)

Generally decent player who probably overcompensated for his lack of height by getting stuck in a bit too much. 

Probably not worth as much as we paid for him (£150k ish)

I was only around 12 or 13 when he played for us but I remember always really liking John Davies. Really tidy little central midfield player for us. For some reason it sticks in my mind that the waistband of his shorts always looked like it was up around his armpits, Simon Cowell-style. I have it in my head that he may have been our record signing when he joined us, but that's possibly inaccurate. He certainly joined us for quite a big fee at the time though.

He was one of those guys who became a bit of a pantomime baddie for the Saints fans when he moved on and played against us for Airdrie. He was involved in a bit of controversy against Saints at one point, when Attila Sekerlioglu was accused of gobbing on him.

2 hours ago, George Grieve said:

We paid £165 000 and I don’t remember him doing anything worthwhile in a blue jersey.

Probably my all time hate-player. Passes that went astray, too slow and too cocky are my recollections. Used to drive home with a very raw throat.....from shouting at him. In a Word Gash

:roll: saints fans do love a hate figure. WHo was it after he left Jenkins or the central midfielder Riley? went to St Mirren. 

53 minutes ago, mainstand said:

:roll: saints fans do love a hate figure. WHo was it after he left Jenkins or the central midfielder Riley? went to St Mirren. 

I still break out in a cold sweat at the mention of Mark Reilly.

By Jenkins do you mean Grant (Shaggy) Jenkins? My memory is of him being a really popular player for us. His time at Saints came before Davies though.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I still break out in a cold sweat at the mention of Mark Reilly.

By Jenkins do you mean Grant (Shaggy) Jenkins? My memory is of him being a really popular player for us. His time at Saints came before Davies though.

He was popular in some areas but in some parts of the East stand the shouts of get up the wing every time he went to collect the ball froma  fullback.  

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I assumed he meant Leigh Jenkinson as he came later and got a lot of stick from the East Stand.  

On 7/18/2020 at 8:33 PM, lang toon saintie said:

With a pic of Big Zues :laugh:

I still have those cards somewhere and I am sure there is another mistake on them. Here is the one for Inglis:

John Inglis (St. Johnstone) - Back

Also a google search just brought up a recent interview with him which is quite interesting:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5463138/aberdeen-st-johnstone-john-inglis-football-agent-stellar/

• 2 weeks later...