Good Evening

Thornbury Green

Hi All

A Plymouth Argyle supporter here just testing the water....

In March next year I will be moving to the Perth surrounding area and will be looking pay on the day and then a season ticket the following season. Where would the best section be to sit as at Home Park I sit in the Devonport End (behind the goal).

Thanks

Welcome Thornbury Green,

Come in to the East Stand where there is more atmosphere.

The main stand is for the blanket over knees brigade and is relatively quiet and the Ormond stand is the family stand.  

Part of the main stand and the North are for away supporters.

Exception is Celtic or Rangers visits where we are all moved to Main stand and  coin in more money from their supporters.

Need to change the name though to Thornbury Saint!!!!

Edited by Templar Saint

Many thanks,

I am a season ticket holder at Argyle so will be returning as often I can to Plymouth during the season....people think I'm mad but that's what football does to us football fans........through thick and thin

I have to admit I have not watched much Scottish football so unsure of the standard......although the standard in League 2 in England has been dire in the last few seasons and sorry to say Derek Adams was very much to blame for our contribution to the standard (the worst football I have seen in the last 20 years)

12 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Welcome Thornbury Green,

Come in to the East Stand where there is more atmosphere.

The main stand is for the blanket over knees brigade and is relatively quiet and the Ormond stand is the family stand.  

Part of the main stand and the North are for away supporters.

Exception is Celtic or Rangers visits where we are all moved to Main stand and  coin in more money from their supporters.

Need to change the name though to Thornbury Saint!!!!

Sorry once a Green always a Green....although could be Plymouth Argyle Saint

Edited by Thornbury Green

1 hour ago, Thornbury Green said:

Many thanks,

I am a season ticket holder at Argyle so will be returning as often I can to Plymouth during the season....people think I'm mad but that's what football does to us football fans........through thick and thin

I have to admit I have not watched much Scottish football so unsure of the standard......although the standard in League 2 in England has been dire in the last few seasons and sorry to say Derek Adams was very much to blame for our contribution to the standard (the worst football I have seen in the last 20 years)

Derek Adams is to blame for a lot of things but he was the reason  we were donated a mini bus.

9 hours ago, Thornbury Green said:

Good luck with it! I'm a St Johnstone fan living in London so I've done it in the opposite direction. Still travel up to Saints games when I can, but when I'm down here on a Saturday I go to watch my local non-league club.

Agree with the others that the East Stand would probably be best for you. The others can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can sit behind the goal at Saints (in the Ormond Stand) unless you have a kid to take with you, as that's the family stand. I have to admit the last few times I've been up to Saints I've moved across to the Main Stand - it costs a couple of quid more but you get a much better view of the match and loads more leg room!

10 hours ago, Strawman said:

Off top of my head, Argyle connections would be ex manager Paul Sturrock and Gary Miller

Paul Sturrock was a fantastic manager in his first spell with his wee gems he found and brought down to Argyle. The football during that time was fantastic record goals and record points in a season then he fully deserved his appointment at Southampton.

On his second spell things as always happen never they way we wanted and relegation followed 

Luggy is still a hero here and even with his illness he still attends Argyle on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Good luck with it! I'm a St Johnstone fan living in London so I've done it in the opposite direction. Still travel up to Saints games when I can, but when I'm down here on a Saturday I go to watch my local non-league club.

Agree with the others that the East Stand would probably be best for you. The others can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can sit behind the goal at Saints (in the Ormond Stand) unless you have a kid to take with you, as that's the family stand. I have to admit the last few times I've been up to Saints I've moved across to the Main Stand - it costs a couple of quid more but you get a much better view of the match and loads more leg room!

I have worked it out it should cost less than £100 per match to fly back down to Bristol then a coach to Plymouth. So I am still hoping to continue buying a season ticket as that is basically what I pay at the moment to watch Argyle play away. 
Watching the Saints when Argyle are away will probably be the way forward.

12 hours ago, Thornbury Green said:

A lot of people will criticise the Scottish standard; however most of those cries come from those down south who have never watched the games and have a pre-formed opinion on it. The standard whilst not what it used to be, is I would say around par with the lower half of the Championship for the most part, possible top of League 1. You just need to look at the players who've been a massive success down south to know that the league up here isn't as easy to crack as people make out. Likes of James Collins, Jayden Stockley, Eoin Doyle have all scored 20+ league goals in a season at League 1 level and have played and scored in the Championship. These guys were roundly laughed at in Scotland for being poor footballers and never came close to that success here. I realise it works both ways, but there are some really good players up here who would hold their own down south with ease, saints are lucky enough to have some of them in their squad and it's going to be a pleasure to watch them develop and become excellent players in their own rights. 

It's a good time to start watching saints I'd say, a new era, new squad, new styles. Who knows what might happen. 

Welcome!  Go to the East for the atmosphere.....stay in the Main for the leg room and view.

With most games being streamed at the  moment you may be able to pick up on some of the games online when Argyle are not in action. Either through usual streaming websites or  £15 gets you an international Saints TV subscription and with a VPN or browser with geo- spoofint (one that will let you change your location) you should get the games live  

On 7/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, Thornbury Green said:

and sorry to say Derek Adams was very much to blame for our contribution to the standard (the worst football I have seen in the last 20 years)

No need to apologise, we hate him too: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/derek-adams-wants-st-johnstone-1842905

On 7/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Welcome!  Go to the East for the atmosphere.....stay in the Main for the leg room and view.

With most games being streamed at the  moment you may be able to pick up on some of the games online when Argyle are not in action. Either through usual streaming websites or  £15 gets you an international Saints TV subscription and with a VPN or browser with geo- spoofint (one that will let you change your location) you should get the games live  

Atmosphere LAUGH OUT LOUD

On 7/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, Thornbury Green said:

Many thanks,

I grew up in England watching League 1/League 2 football as the local team were Swindon - fell in love with Saints even though they were 400 miles away. Scottish football has improved over the recent years, although I'm not sure if the current situation will see a decline again. I'd say it's more exciting that English football due to the smaller league, and big characters. I'd say most SPL teams are League 1 standard, with the top 3/4 being more Championship level.

11 hours ago, Linky said:

I grew up in England watching League 1/League 2 football as the local team were Swindon - fell in love with Saints even though they were 400 miles away. Scottish football has improved over the recent years, although I'm not sure if the current situation will see a decline again. I'd say it's more exciting that English football due to the smaller league, and big characters. I'd say most SPL teams are League 1 standard, with the top 3/4 being more Championship level.

Stopped going to games in Manchester years back sat there bored to tears, nothing like watching Saintees.