Steve Brown to join SPFL board

garydavidson

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53456255

Seems a tad strange considering how much hassle Saints is to him, maybe it includes payment? 

obviously he has been allowed to take a step back form day to day running at Saints following Kirsten's appointment, which has given him time to take up this new role. 

Think your post is a bit harsh. 

Have to say this news surprised me too. In pretty much every interview he's given lately he's spoken about taking a step back from football, yet here he is taking more on. Perhaps he's simply had a change of heart (could the management change have revived his enthusiasm a little?), or as garydavidson says maybe there's some sort of incentive in it either for him or for the club?

An ordinary league board member, with reading papers, (paid) travel and meeting times, some nice perks  - 12 days a year?

Running Saints - hard graft, endless grief from us, he pays for everyone else’s perks, no sleep - 24/7?

Not a toughie, really.

Nice promotion and won’t do Saints any harm. Regular mentions on Bears Den as well (I’m guessing “corrupt to the core” and an early revelation that he once smiled at a Catholic, sorry ****** beast).

23 hours ago, mainstand said:

obviously he has been allowed to take a step back form day to day running at Saints following Kirsten's appointment, which has given him time to take up this new role. 

Think your post is a bit harsh. 

A  bit harsh? The guy moans at every turn concerning how football is a burden on him. I don't understand how moving onto the board during these times is any easier than last time he was on it.

I really don't see any benefit to Saints.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I guess the benefit to Saints is that our voice and interests will be present at the table when decisions are being made. Of course, given Steve Brown's preference for reconstructing and introducing colt teams into the league, it's open to debate whether having him at the table is a good or a bad thing.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

A  bit harsh? The guy moans at every turn concerning how football is a burden on him. I don't understand how moving onto the board during these times is any easier than last time he was on it.

Agreed!!

His constant bleating about how he has his own business(s) to take care of and how there aren’t enough hours in the day for him to do the things he needs to do.
Saints fans will rightly be forever grateful to the Browns but to hear your own chairman becry your football club as a “burden” and thanksless “unrewarding” task deserves some attention. It’s not normal! 

Lets have it right, the fans are paying Kirsten Robertson’s wage in order to free up Steve Brown so that he can join the SPFL board.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

35 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Agreed!!

His constant bleating about how he has his own business(s) to take care of and how there aren’t enough hours in the day for him to do the things he needs to do.
Saints fans will rightly be forever grateful to the Browns but to hear your own chairman becry your football club as a “burden” and thanksless “unrewarding” task deserves some attention. It’s not normal! 

Lets have it right, the fans are paying Kirsten Robertson’s wage in order to free up Steve Brown so that he can join the SPFL board.

No the Club are employing Kirsten because for years folk have said that you need someone at the helm full time. Something we have not had since Stuart Duff was in post and received about as much moaning about him as Kirsten and Steve do. 

Your comments prove that it is indeed a thankless task and  proves that Steve does indeed have a point.

Edited by mainstand

7 minutes ago, mainstand said:

No the Club are employing Kirsten because for years folk have said that you need someone at the helm full time. Something we have not had since Stuart Duff was in post and received about as much moaning about him as Kirsten and Steve do. 

Your comments prove that it is indeed a thankless task and  proves that Steve does indeed have a point.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, you are comfortable with the chairman of our club describing his tenure as a “burden” ?

37 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5856268/aberdeen-cormack-celtic-lawwell-st-johnstone-brown/

Dave Cormack is going to be sorely disappointed.

Everything that he describes in this article is the antithesis of Steve Brown and football.

You are really not a Steve Brown fan are you :roll:

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5856268/aberdeen-cormack-celtic-lawwell-st-johnstone-brown/

Everything that he describes in this article is the antithesis of Steve Brown and football.

The complaint on here is that Steve Brown is treating the club is a business. Now you  & Cormack are wanting him to treat SPFL as a business.

Cormack should look at his own club & how the club he runs is in financial difficulty. At the moment it doesn't look like Browns club is.

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Cormack wants it run like a successful business and is looking at Steve Brown for leadership and acumen, after all he is a successful businessman. Cannot wait for the SPFL to be run like a two bit sparky business........oh wait.

8 hours ago, mainstand said:

You are really not a Steve Brown fan are you :roll:

Na not true at all. I have a lot of respect for The Browns(more so Geoff). They have brought success to the football club that I love and support and have played a part in the most successful era in our history - kudos!

I think his comments and attitude around the running of the club and it’s supporters are contemptuous and downright discourteous. If you compare Tommy Wrights infamous:

“there might be clubs with more money, bigger resources and a bigger support than St Johnstone but none with a bigger heart”

To Steve Brown:

“I don’t want my family to come into it and they have promised me they won’t. I wouldn’t wish it on my kids“

and

it’s a burden at times”

I will never forgive him for his bullshit around how low our home support was after the cup win after he had failed to capitalise on the THOUSANDS(around 15,000/16,000) of tickets we sold for that cup final and the two semi finals in the weeks leading up to it... not to mention the cup parade the day after.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

• 5 months later...

Rangers are trying to resurrect their attempt their plan for the OF to have B teams.

Steve Brown is on the working group.

If they are allowed to have their B teams in the lower leagues it will just give them a bigger still advantage over all the other teams in Scotland.

If Brown or any other chairman votes for it,it will be like turkey's voting for Christmas.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Rangers are trying to resurrect their attempt their plan for the OF to have B teams.

Steve Brown is on the working group.

If they are allowed to have their B teams in the lower leagues it will just give them a bigger still advantage over all the other teams in Scotland.

If Brown or any other chairman votes for it,it will be like turkey's voting for Christmas.

You just need to look at Celtic swanning off to Dubai for a holiday while the rest of Scottish football cuts squads, cuts wages of the remaining players and generally contemplates its future viability.

Yet we would introduce a system that allows the old firm to trawl and plunder all the talent in Scotland, handpick the best for their first team, develop the “average” ones through B teams and allow the rest to rot in their academy.

Yeah, sounds about right!!