Utd v Saints

THE LARK SAINT

19 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Is Muzz injured or suspended. We look a bit lightweight in midfield without him or Craig.

Only a guess but he was injured last season but was well on way to recovering 

I've not seen his name much and he could well be ready so I'm just reading between the lines that he is there or there about, my guy feeling is he will be a sub on Saturday. 

19 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

Anyone know what the hold up is with Conway signing seemed to be a done deal but as usual with us not a peep coming out the club 

Club waiting so that they can unveil him at same time as new strip.

Good 3 points to start the season, I pray for nothing like the start of last seasons shambles.    

Important not to lose against the team coming up.  A draw would be likely as we've had a weird pre season and it might take a handful of games to get properly going.

Also we need a date added to title, my OCD says it needs an archival timeline..

Edited by Dave H

2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Is there a reason why people seem so convinced that Conway is going to be signing for us?

They've already numbered his kit (7) up and he's been here for over a month. The more pertinent question would be why they haven't finalised/announced it. 

Will also be interesting to see where he fits in. Looking at Transfermarkt over the past few seasons, looks like he'll operate in similar areas to Kennedy as an attacking midfielder, which is reassuring, as to him just being predominantly a left winger. 

27 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

They've already numbered his kit (7) up and he's been here for over a month. The more pertinent question would be why they haven't finalised/announced it. 

Will also be interesting to see where he fits in. Looking at Transfermarkt over the past few seasons, looks like he'll operate in similar areas to Kennedy as an attacking midfielder, which is reassuring, as to him just being predominantly a left winger. 

Not another May fiasco,hopefully.

I'm a bit worried about the 5-2-3 formation (which basically seems the same as 3-4-3) that we're supposedly going for. If we're going to have a back three with wing-backs, I'd much rather see a solid midfield three in front of the defence. Bit worried we could end up getting over-run in the middle of the park. I also think a front two of May and Hendry makes sense for us, rather than a front three.

10 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

He's not exactly a spring chicken... 35? Cant see too much competition for a player that realistically has 1 season left in him

I remember the same being said when Davie Weir signed for rangers and Miravcic for Celtic, both went on to be heroes with the clubs and played for a good few years.  As Callum says in the paper today he played with Saints until he was 37. 

4 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I remember the same being said when Davie Weir signed for rangers and Miravcic for Celtic, both went on to be heroes with the clubs and played for a good few years.  As Callum says in the paper today he played with Saints until he was 37. 

Aye people to quick to write the auld anes off.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm a bit worried about the 5-2-3 formation (which basically seems the same as 3-4-3) that we're supposedly going for. If we're going to have a back three with wing-backs, I'd much rather see a solid midfield three in front of the defence. Bit worried we could end up getting over-run in the middle of the park. I also think a front two of May and Hendry makes sense for us, rather than a front three.

I'm interested to see how it works.

Not sure how different the centre of the park would be to a 4-4-2, as you still just have the 2 CMs, and it looks like Millwall had one forward push high onto a full back in possession, with the other dropping back to make a midfield three.

Millwalls front three seemed to consist of two players who played up front in a 4-4-2, or alone in a one up top set up. The third forward was a winger, for them it was a boy who usually played left wing who then went to the right of their front three.

May left, Hendry central, and MOH right is almost identical in terms of "profile" to the front three Millwall played.

Its also really similar to Sheffield United set up.

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Where does Wotherspoon & Conway fit into this? Also, Davidson said a while back that he thought May was doing too much, and needed to just focus on scoring. Would that suggest he is the central striker?

Yeah the May thing would be a bit of a concern for me too. From what I saw of last season I thought he was at his best when he was in a strike partnership with Hendry. Pulling him out wide to me feels like going back to the mistake Aberdeen made with him.

I also think we'd probably get the best out of McCann by having him in a central midfield three, rather than a two.

No idea where Conway fits but Wotherspoon is pretty versatile so I think there are a few roles he could potentially fill.