Utd v Saints

THE LARK SAINT

11 hours ago, mainstand said:

I remember the same being said when Davie Weir signed for rangers and Miravcic for Celtic, both went on to be heroes with the clubs and played for a good few years.  As Callum says in the paper today he played with Saints until he was 37. 

Defenders & deep midfielders can get away with it much more easily than attacking players, because positional nous makes up for lack of pace. Just hope the guy has plenty of guile to make up for pace, put a good cross in....

What’s interesting is that I really don’t know how we will set up and who will get the nod from the new gaffer.

Whilst the 3-4-3 sounds promising, my gut feeling tells me that could be a bad thing for May (being played out wide and ultimately not being particularly effective) and Spoony (will be get the nod wide in the front three? Will he be allowed to play in beside McCann because obviously full-backs look like they will get the wide positions in the 4)- who I thought had his best season at Saints last season and really solidified what he brings to our side and what’s often ignored by some of our fans.

Im pretty sure with Wright in charge you could pretty much predict the team, but with Callum I’ve no idea what to expect- here’s hoping that the attacking intent mentioned produces results.

With our results end of last season I think the new boys should be made to wait to win their place- apart from the obvious choice to be made between Rooney and the Millwall young lad.

20 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Defenders & deep midfielders can get away with it much more easily than attacking players, because positional nous makes up for lack of pace. Just hope the guy has plenty of guile to make up for pace, put a good cross in....

See Paul Sheerin. Joined Never blessed with pace anyway but he played with us until her was 35/36 and still remains one of the best passers/crossers of a ball I have ever seen in royal blue.

27 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Whilst the 3-4-3 sounds promising, my gut feeling tells me that could be a bad thing for May (being played out wide

Millwalls "front three" the majority of the time (theres instances of them playing two wingers either side), contain two more "central" strikers and then a winger. May wouldn't be playing as a left winger, more of an "inside left" if that makes sense, and if I've picked it up right.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Millwalls "front three" the majority of the time (theres instances of them playing two wingers either side), contain two more "central" strikers and then a winger. May wouldn't be playing as a left winger, more of an "inside left" if that makes sense, and if I've picked it up right.

Ah ok, so is one of the full-backs/wider men of the 4 encouraged to push forward more on the opposing side to the out and out winger?

1 hour ago, SlickDT said:

Ah ok, so is one of the full-backs/wider men of the 4 encouraged to push forward more on the opposing side to the out and out winger?

Aye.

You aim to overload a flank then deliver a cross in for the striker to attack. One CM sits deep, and one gets involved in the attack.

Youd have one of McCart and Kerr pushing up, dependent on where the ball is, with the other staying back with Gordon and Craig.

Hendry would stay static in the box awaiting a cross, with May given a bit more freedom to move but generally expected to be in the box for any loose balls after the cross.

In theory, and its all just my take on what Millwall have done, your attacking "formation" when on the ball would look like this...

ELEVEN1596175499399.thumb.png.753adacb2c13c7ee1144655f57ea1f8d.png

Gordon and Craig designated as "defensive" players. Craigs role is to take the ball off Gordon and move it, or deliver balls from deep.

McCann gets a box to box role.

Kerr and McCart are expected to help out the wide players.

One of Rooney or MOH is expected to cut in from a flank, with the other to get down the outside, Kerr will be allowed to join them if the situation allows it. On the left Tanser will be told to get down the wing, May to stay central in the box, and one of McCart or McCann will be expected to support Tanser. 

As I say, that's just what I've seen from Sheffield United and Millwall in highlights, and the players there are the ones who fit the roles they use best. Could be different and I've just wasted everyone's time.

Edited by RandomGuy

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Aye.

You aim to overload a flank then deliver a cross in for the striker to attack. One CM sits deep, and one gets involved in the attack.

Youd have one of McCart and Kerr pushing up, dependent on where the ball is, with the other staying back with Gordon and Craig.

Hendry would stay static in the box awaiting a cross, with May given a bit more freedom to move but generally expected to be in the box for any loose balls after the cross.

In theory, and its all just my take on what Millwall have done, your attacking "formation" when on the ball would look like this...

ELEVEN1596175499399.thumb.png.753adacb2c13c7ee1144655f57ea1f8d.png

Gordon and Craig designated as "defensive" players. Craigs role is to take the ball off Gordon and move it, or deliver balls from deep.

McCann gets a box to box role.

Kerr and McCart are expected to help out the wide players.

One of Rooney or MOH is expected to cut in from a flank, with the other to get down the outside, Kerr will be allowed to join them if the situation allows it. On the left Tanser will be told to get down the wing, May to stay central in the box, and one of McCart or McCann will be expected to support Tanser. 

As I say, that's just what I've seen from Sheffield United and Millwall in highlights, and the players there are the ones who fit the roles they use best. Could be different and I've just wasted everyone's time.

And there you have a copy of the Dundee United opponent analysis sheet. 

Very informative random but as you say all a finger in the air stuff until we actually see who is playing and what formation they are set up in. 

The worry is that to make such significant changes in a teams style would require a lot more than 2 games so I would be surprised if Callum was changing the system significantly.

3 minutes ago, mainstand said:

And there you have a copy of the Dundee United opponent analysis sheet. 

Very informative random but as you say all a finger in the air stuff until we actually see who is playing and what formation they are set up in. 

The worry is that to make such significant changes in a teams style would require a lot more than 2 games so I would be surprised if Callum was changing the system significantly.

Yeah I'm really interested to see exactly how it all works out. 

New manager, new system, new season. Combine that with the lack of games for 6 months and there's a real freshness about the club this season.

Quite enjoying not having a clue how it'll go.

The suggested formation above looks interesting. I’m guessing Conway is a straight swap for MOH if needed? Wotherspoon could play in the McCann position & Davidson in for Craig?

I like the fact that Tanser is more of a winger, which suits his style of play, although I’d still play Booth instead of him any day. He was one of the most consistent players last season.

6 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Tried to register with Dundee Utd TV but it keeps rejecting my Larnaca (Cyprus) Address anyone from outside UK having the same problem

Someone might correct but as far as i know PPV is only available to UK users.

Saints should be showing it through their own channel to International subscribers.

Screenshot_20200801-105813_Chrome.jpg.e760a4b5dc6b50cfc045d3cba1802222.jpg

Although I notice there's never been any mention of it from Saints yet.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Actually, @Johnny B it seems they have confirmed how you can watch it in the match preview 

Screenshot_20200801-110002_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e3b47632a6833790a5344845e384f6c3.jpg

If you have an International subscription then just log in to Saints TV and you'll be able to watch it.

Thank you. I have been a member of Saints TV for a number of years. It always states the upcoming  fixtures but this is currently blank on the TV site

19 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Thank you. I have been a member of Saints TV for a number of years. It always states the upcoming  fixtures but this is currently blank on the TV site

Yeah I noticed that, and they've not seemed to mention it on Twitter yet.

Hopefully its just some way of trying to prevent UK users abusing the system and you will get to view the game.

11 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Let me know how you get on pal, I’m also abroad this weekend so need to find a way of watching 

Last season you could use a UK Saints TV subscription to watch if you were abroad?

Not sure if that will happen this season or if you have one.