Utd v Saints

THE LARK SAINT

Thought the new lad Macna had pace and performed well.

Just needs to curb punting forward to no one late in the game, when under no pressure,  when there are team mates to pass to.

For a debut 7 out of ten.

Can see competition for places and the Manager changing line ups depending on the opposition. 

Considine missing for game against the Dons. 

C.o.y.s.

Early days but I'm not convinced 3-4-3 is the way forward. No doubt a big reason CD wants to play it is to fit MOH in from the start. Lets be honest, he's pretty ineffective more often than not.

I prefer a front two. it worked well last season as they close down as a pair.

Decent point today under the circumstances.

Thought we were terrific second half, played more football throughout that game than most of last season. McNamara looked good second half as did the rest! Excited to see this team going forward.

Worth noting that we had played 2 less friendlies than United so lack of sharpness and actual getting used to the shape and formation was expected.

Onwards and upwards!

Formation will take time to settle... don't think MOH will get a fine, just a warning. Bit of over excitement after 4 months off. We have Conway & hopefully May as cover next game. The way I look at CD's setup is he wants the two wide forwards to be a Mo Falallah type, coming in from wings. Unfortunately we don't have Mo, but I get what we means to do & it supposedly helps keep full backs quiet. What I find interesting is putting Gordon in the middle of the back 3. Arguably the weakest of the 3. Part of me would prefer McCart. But he likes to go forward,  so does Kerr, so can understand why he keeps Gordon in the middle. Be interesting if that changes though... I'd prefer McCart.

After MOH went off, I thought that would be it,  but we grew into the game and were the better side overall. Frustrating not to really see how the formation would’ve worked over the whole 90 mins. It does feel like he’s pinning his hopes on MOH having a good season, which I don’t think has happened for a long while.

Most players got pass marks. Wotherspoon, McCart & Craig stood out. McNamara started badly but was good in the second half. Parish was pretty faultless, although didn’t have a huge amount to do. I’d be worried about getting my place back if I was Clark. Hendry was a bit quieter that usual & Conway didn’t add much.

Good enough, given the circumstances, against a pretty poor side.

Mikey was garbage the whole time he was on and you could see he was heading for a sending off. Just poor discipline.

I thought the back 3 once again looked very good at what they are there to do- defend.

I’d personally prefer the 3-5-2 to the 3-4-3 that we played yesterday (or 3-4-2 in the end) but it’ll be interesting how the players adapt.

13 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

If you're complaining about the BBC cameras which were pretty faultless overall, you're going to be extremely unsatisfied with clubs' own offerings over the coming months.

Dont know whos camera they were ,the ones on dufc he must have had a stiff neck and could not turn to the left.

Just catching up with the comments on here and bit surprised by how negatively some people viewed it. I thought that was a really promising performance, given it was the manager's first game and the team's first proper game in a new system. I thought our players looked very, very sharp and fit - much fitter than the United team - and our passing became more and more crisp and confident as the match went on. Take out the soft penalty, and MOH losing the head, and I think we may have won that quite comfortably. Only disappointment for me was in the closing stages when we seemed to camp back in our own half and let United come at us - I guess perhaps our players were shattered by then.

I remain unconvinced by the new formation but the players certainly seemed up for making it work. I do think that if the plan is to play our left wing-back so far up the park it would make sense for it to be Tanser rather than Booth. Also not keen on Wotherspoon playing so far up the park, although that said he had a terrific game. I think this is going to be a big season for Spoony.

I was also pretty pleased with the stream itself, as I was expecting one camera following the whole match from the Main Stand, but it turned out to be the BBC feed which meant we got different angles, close-ups, replays etc. Obviously they were having some teething problems with the commentary, but hey, it was Day 1. I'm just glad we got to hear that Sean Dillon apparently doesn't understand the back-pass rule, after 20 years of playing professional football as a defender.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Itk poster on P&B says we are signing a striker. Not sure that is a position we need to strengthen . Hope CD is still looking out for a midfield enforcer & maybe another playmaker.

Means we’re committing to this new shape I reckon. We’re probably good for midfielders if we’re going with a midfield 2! 

Really can't see us signing another striker unless one of our existing options (Kane?) is on the way out. That said, I did wonder if we might renew our interest in Kane Hemmings, given that he's been forced into taking a pay cut at Dundee.

Personally I'd still have a central midfielder at the top of the wanted list.

It seems from the set-up yesterday that the front three are:

Hendry/Kane

Wotherspoon/May                                        MOH/Conway

Not sure why an extra striker would be needed, given that Olaofe can supposedly play in all three positions too.