St Johnstone v Aberdeen 08/08/20

tucker

1 minute ago, byebyedundee said:

Don’t underestimate the hunger of the reserves they’ll be wanting to prove a point so the game will be just as tough I hope we don’t get complacent 

Their official site claims they have 26 first team players, so this only brings them down to 16.

Folk thinking it'll be their youth side playing us are absolutely miles out.

I suppose the two that have tested positive could be players that are injured at the mo and therefore haven't had the 'opportunity' in infect the main squad. The other six are self isolating just in case.

That would mean that the rest of the Dons squad haven't been infected and the tests would probably back that up hence the game goes on.

Also reckon the authorities are giving a lesson to teams who flout the 'rules'. Basically saying to Aberdeen you got yourselves into this mess so no sympathy, no postponement. 

Are these tests 100% reliable that you don't have the virus? Otherwise, what happens if one of our players comes down with it and they find he caught it at the game at the w/end. If that happens who knows where we go from there.

Knowing us we will probably go and lose this 0-1.

10 hours ago, mainstand said:

If these are 9 of the regular first team players I think if I was McInnes I would be raging that it is going ahead.

I'm sure McInnes is raging, but it's his own players that he should be raging at. It's entirely Aberdeen's own fault that they're in this position. I also believe that this is very unfair on Saints - suddenly we're being talked about as big favourites to win, which puts a completely different spin on the game and puts pressure on our players. That's before even considering whether the Saints squad are actually happy to accept the risk of sharing a pitch with the Aberdeen team. What happens if, this time next week, a bunch of Saints players also test positive? This situation could spread through the league very quickly.

Would love to know if the joint response group's decision would have been the same had this not been the Sky game. I think there's a lot of pressure on the SPFL not to disappoint Sky, and having to postpone this match would have been a major embarrassment for them.

I hear talk of bubbles but what does that actually mean ?

i presume all the Saints players still live in their own houses with their families etc

They ll have partners who possibly go out to work as well and kids hoping to go back to school next week.

I imagine today there will be players families not happy that their husband/dad has tomorrow to go to a place of work where they know there has been positive COVID cases among the people they ll work directly with. There surely has to be a risk that some Aberdeen players are carriers even though they pass a test.

If this was a normal work situation then I don t think the planned activity would go ahead.

Much as I d like to sit down and watch it tomorrow, I think the game should be off and probably would be if not for Sky.

So, because the game is on Sky, does that mean one can't watch it on Saints TV PPV?

If not, as a Saints TV member can you still watch the full match the next day? I thought due to licensing rights Saints TV couldn't do that, but it seems like the full match from last weekend is on there now as it usually would be.

What a shambles this is. What has changed since last night when we were told it was on? Sky will probably already have been well underway with rigging up the stadium.

The fixtures backlog is going to become impossible to manage this season if players carry on behaving the way Aberdeen's have.

22 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

What a shambles this is. What has changed since last night when we were told it was on?

There was talk the Scottish Government was planning to speak to the SPFL/Aberdeen this morning.

Don't know how true that is but wouldn't be shocked to hear they've enforced the postponement. 

Seems certain now that 8 Aberdeen players have not only flouted footballs social distancing rules, but also the governments. Punishment should be severe.

34 minutes ago, ss75990 said:

They will have to be punished as it surely means their games against Hamilton and Celtic will have to be postponed as well

If Saints game is postponed then those 2 games will have to be as well. This will lead to fixture chaos but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't find a way of to play the Celtic game.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

There was talk the Scottish Government was planning to speak to the SPFL/Aberdeen this morning.

Don't know how true that is but wouldn't be shocked to hear they've enforced the postponement. 

Seems certain now that 8 Aberdeen players have not only flouted footballs social distancing rules, but also the governments. Punishment should be severe.

Think Sturgeon said they had a meeting last night & football authorities made the decion to postpone it. Aye right.

My understanding is that the players have very strict instructions to remain in a "bubble" and mix only with a certain number of team mates etc. The cricketer down south was hammered for nipping home on the way to a game. How they thought going out on the lash as a group was a good idea is beyond me. They should through the book at them and as I have already said we should be awarded the points. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

14 hours ago, mainstand said:

SFA and spfl have been known to changing their minds and ina LL honesty this will be a decision at the end of the day that the Scottish Government could take.

As above this was always going to be a Scottish government decision at the end of the day and in this case Nicola and her advisers have stated no game. 

34 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

What a shambles this is. What has changed since last night when we were told it was on? Sky will probably already have been well underway with rigging up the stadium.

They didn't ask Nicola last night.  Fiona Hyslop on Radio Scotland was asked about the game but gave an evasive answer as clearly she had not been briefed by Nicola.  It was 7.30 am and Nicola deserves a good nights sleep.

I cannot see saints being awarded points as it sets a difficult precedent for the SPFL. At most, Aberdeen might get a fine.

Any sensible organisation would have accounted for this and set some rules and guidance, but SPFL I can almost guarantee will have not.

Saints loose out in terms of revenue, albeit small, from advertising and 50/50 draw etc and obviously the disadvantage on field.

However, if the game is postponed to later in the season when possibly fans are allowed in, then we might get a financial upside.

I'd like to see the SPFL be very strong on this, but unlikely.