St Johnstone v Aberdeen 08/08/20

tucker

No surprise its off.

What happens next will be interesting. Very much doubt we would get the points as this would set a precedent and can you imagine the hoo-haa if one of the OF have this type of outbreak and get docked three points....and then lose the title by two points or something....just will not happen.

I'd imagine rescheduled for later down the line like any other postponement. What that then does as more and more games get postponed and the fixture calendar doesn't have the space....who knows. 

8 minutes ago, MrBored said:

No surprise its off.

What happens next will be interesting. Very much doubt we would get the points as this would set a precedent and can you imagine the hoo-haa if one of the OF have this type of outbreak and get docked three points....and then lose the title by two points or something....just will not happen.

I'd imagine rescheduled for later down the line like any other postponement. What that then does as more and more games get postponed and the fixture calendar doesn't have the space....who knows. 

You are right, more games will go this way and if we get a 2nd spike.

SPFL really need to sit down now and game out all scenarios and get an agreement from clubs on what will happen.

If we do get a 2nd wave, clubs should all send a fixed squad of say 20 players and stay in locked down hotels and play the games in the Oram in Edinburgh, 2-3 games a week for each team, a game a day staggered and complete the season from whenever it is paused.

Edited by TheYellowBox

I hope the players concerned recover fully and quickly, I hope they have learned from this and I hope other players up and down the country take heed.

Wake me up when football returns to some kind of normality.

(Dingwall, 2nd Jan would be nice)

31 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Think Sturgeon said they had a meeting last night & football authorities made the decion to postpone it. Aye right.

She obviously tore them a new one and told them to postpone it or else. Technically, they had to make the decision -they could have said no. If they were insane. Is there anything in what I’ve said there that is either incorrect, or that isn’t the right thing to do? Anything?

29 minutes ago, MrBored said:

No surprise its off.

I don’t think they have finalised the details of the cups yet (and if they have' they can change them). I think they are holding them in reserve in case of a league fixture pile up. The cups can be truncated in various ways, and no one would be too upset if the diddy cup was dropped for a year.

44 minutes ago, Cagey said:

If Saints game is postponed then those 2 games will have to be as well. This will lead to fixture chaos but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't find a way of to play the Celtic game.

Why is it safe for Aberdeen to play Celtic but not Hamilton or Saints? All these games are within the 14 day isolation? I don’t get it.. I agree with fellow postee we should get 3 points and Aberdeen should give us the equivalent of the SKY money... 

7 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

Why is it safe for Aberdeen to play Celtic but not Hamilton or Saints? All these games are within the 14 day isolation? I don’t get it.. I agree with fellow postee we should get 3 points and Aberdeen should give us the equivalent of the SKY money... 

I agree with the sentiment, but there is no Sky money for individual games. It’s a contract with the League.

30 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

She obviously tore them a new one and told them to postpone it or else. Technically, they had to make the decision -they could have said no. If they were insane. Is there anything in what I’ve said there that is either incorrect, or that isn’t the right thing to do? Anything?

Never noticed anyone saying you said anything incorrect.

21 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

The reason I say that they might find a way to play Celtic game is because they have Scottish cup games to come along with European games & International games.

46 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I do not think Nicola's ire would have been directed solely at the football authorities.  Clearly someone in SG told them it would be OK to play.

1 hour ago, Bruno Strasser said:

My understanding is that the players have very strict instructions to remain in a "bubble" and mix only with a certain number of team mates etc. 

I don't really get how the bubble thing works with sports teams. Aren't the teams all back to training as normal now? Even if they're not, surely the bubbles become meaningless as soon as a match is played and everyone's on the pitch together?

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't really get how the bubble thing works with sports teams. Aren't the teams all back to training as normal now? Even if they're not, surely the bubbles become meaningless as soon as a match is played and everyone's on the pitch together?

No non pro teams aged over 18 are still not allowed contact training. The rules are from what I saw that the players go to training go home get up and go to train I g. They are pretty much restricted from doing anything else including visiting others. 

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack: "With the pressure over this season’s fixtures, and the fact that we caused this problem, we were fully prepared to play the game tomorrow. We are very grateful that the decision has been to postpone, rather than forfeit the game."

If there is any punishment it won't be to the benefit of Saints.

The Covid threat causing the game to be postponed is a serious breach of the rules.

When/if the game is eventually played, I doubt if it will be on Sky t.v.

Also, some other team will benefit from Considine's suspension, instead of Saints.

Sure a similar suspension situation occurred in recent times, (nothing Covid related) where Saints were disadvantaged. 

Just award the 3 points to Saints to send out a clear message that breaking the rules will Not be tolerated. 

Dons next opponents,  who are affected by their blatant disregard, should also get 3 points.

Teams should also be compensated  by Aberdeen for any loss of revenue they suffer.

A monetary penalty by the SPFL is not the answer.

Such a serious self inflicted breach, deserves the appropriate punishment. They will not give the opposition teams 3 points. Why not take 3 points from Eberdeen for every game that is postponed due to this as a punishment. 3 games will have them sitting on minus 9 points. Play the postponed games whenever and batter them. 

What a sad state of affairs. After all we have been through this year and how well all the teams have prepared for start of  this football season it's sickening that this has happened because of a bunch of selfish pop stars! 

St.Johnstone have done nothing wrong and you can bet this will only hinder our start to the new season; whichever way you cut it the chances are we could be bottom by Wednesday night.

If you throw in how the rest of the country will be looking at this farce with SKY having to rearrange their schedule for tomorrow - Aberdeen should get hammered for this.

Playing devils advocate here, whys the game been re-arranged for a Thursday?

Both saints and Aberdeen are due to play on the Saturday before and the Saturday after. They've now moved 2 fixtures instead of one, from what I can see purely for the sole reason of letting these Aberdeen players play in the match as their 14 day isolation ends on the Wednesday?

If someone can confirm otherwise to me that would be great, but to me it makes absolutely no sense not to play the Wednesday and as such not have to move the Aberdeen - Livingstone game, which they've done!

19 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

What a sad state of affairs. After all we have been through this year and how well all the teams have prepared for start of  this football season it's sickening that this has happened because of a bunch of selfish pop stars! 

St.Johnstone have done nothing wrong and you can bet this will only hinder our start to the new season; whichever way you cut it the chances are we could be bottom by Wednesday night.

If you throw in how the rest of the country will be looking at this farce with SKY having to rearrange their schedule for tomorrow - Aberdeen should get hammered for this.

Can’t be bottom on Wednesday as Aberdeen are on 0 points but agree with the sentiment we are being punished for the action of some of the Aberdeen team