St Johnstone v Aberdeen 08/08/20

tucker

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

If Hamilton are allowed the play Aberdeen on Wednesday, then they have to say something.

We were due to play an Aberdeen side missing Considine through suspension, Main through injury, and then 8 players through isolation.

Hamilton will be allowed to play them like that. Celtic will be allowed to play them like that.

Why aren't we?

Why have to wait until the 8 players leave isolation, Considines suspension has expired, and Main returns from injury?

The Scottish Government have used this to make a point to Scottish football, yet its us who have ended up punished by it and not Aberdeen.

Is it not that come Wednesday they will have had another test completed? The fact that the SG are saying Hamilton game is off is a pointer as to what to expect. 

I did see one tweet from an Aberdeen fan saying the 8 players should still be missing from the saints rearranged game so that no advantage is gained. 

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

If Hamilton are allowed the play Aberdeen on Wednesday, then they have to say something.

We were due to play an Aberdeen side missing Considine through suspension, Main through injury, and then 8 players through isolation.

Hamilton will be allowed to play them like that. Celtic will be allowed to play them like that.

Why aren't we?

Why have to wait until the 8 players leave isolation, Considines suspension has expired, and Main returns from injury?

The Scottish Government have used this to make a point to Scottish football, yet its us who have ended up punished by it and not Aberdeen.

I don't really have an issue with our game being off and the possibility of the Hamilton and Celtic games going ahead.

Our game is off because as of yesterday nobody was in a position to say that Aberdeen FC and their players and staff had followed all the protocols so potentially the whole travelling party were a risk. If Aberdeen FC have behaved themselves and it's just these 8 who are a risk the midweek game will go ahead, if that can't be proven the game is off.

Adherence to these protocols is being taken very seriously with several training sessions at grass roots level being monitored so I'm not surprised such a clear breech has resulted in Aberdeen FC effectively being told to sit down, shut up and wait till we've searched your locker.

Yeah it sucks for us but that's just the way it is at the moment. Don't see any point making an issue of who gets to play a weakened Aberdeen. If the midweek game can go ahead it should.

However once all those involved have recovered I can't see any issue with them being handed a lengthy ban, which would send out the right message but also conveniently ensure we are not at a disadvantage in terms of strength of side we play on the 20th.

3 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Is it not that come Wednesday they will have had another test completed? The fact that the SG are saying Hamilton game is off is a pointer as to what to expect. 

You can test them as much as you want, it cannot 100% guarantee they dont have the virus. They were all in close contact with the players who are now self isolating during training. They went to the pub on Saturday night, likely caught the virus there, and then training together until Thursday afternoon when the second test that week showed it up.

The whole club should be forced to isolate for 14 days if there's a risk.

If there's not a risk, then why is our game postponed?

Aberdeen will have known as soon as it came out what risk there was that the other players couldve caught it.

The current lockdown rules for Aberdeen are very strict and in particular they specify that nobody should travel to the city for leisure purposes.  The first review for these rules is set for Wednesday but with the cluster numbers still on the increase that review is most unlikely to see a relaxation.  So no way will the Hamilton game be allowed to go ahead.  Already most media reports about this game are casting some doubt about it surviving since the penny has dropped that its fate will be decided when Nicola has time to give it her attention.  Someone might be allowed to ask a question about it at one of her daily briefing sessions and that will be that. 

As for the Celtic game the Ayebroke legions will scream blue murder at the slightest suggestion that their arch rivals be allowed to run up a cricket score against a weakened Aberdeen.  

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I did see one tweet from an Aberdeen fan saying the 8 players should still be missing from the saints rearranged game so that no advantage is gained. 

But is Considine not missing for what should have been the Saints game, but will be available for the rearranged match? Whichever way you look at it we are disadvantaged.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

The current lockdown rules for Aberdeen are very strict and in particular they specify that nobody should travel to the city for leisure purposes.  The first review for these rules is set for Wednesday but with the cluster numbers still on the increase that review is most unlikely to see a relaxation.  So no way will the Hamilton game be allowed to go ahead.  Already most media reports about this game are casting some doubt about it surviving since the penny has dropped that its fate will be decided when Nicola has time to give it her attention.  Someone might be allowed to ask a question about it at one of her daily briefing sessions and that will be that. 

As for the Celtic game the Ayebroke legions will scream blue murder at the slightest suggestion that their arch rivals be allowed to run up a cricket score against a weakened Aberdeen.  

Well that has cheered me up slightly.. if it’s Saints they are of no consequence, however it’s all about the old firm and as we know that’s a different kettle of fish... 

Realistically there are more things in life to worry about than if we get to play a weakened Aberdeen side.

I suspect in the background the club will be pissed, but won't say anything in public because it so easily could be us (or any other team)...just takes one person to not follow guidelines etc.

This has got me thinking....at what point would the SPL call the season if the SG shut down football? At this early stage, you'd imagine they would just declare it null and void....but there must be a point where results will stand...half way through the season?...Clubs normally down the bottom better keep that in mind as unless players learn a lesson this is going to happen again.

1 hour ago, mike_gain said:

I don't really have an issue with our game being off and the possibility of the Hamilton and Celtic games going ahead.

Our game is off because as of yesterday nobody was in a position to say that Aberdeen FC and their players and staff had followed all the protocols so potentially the whole travelling party were a risk. If Aberdeen FC have behaved themselves and it's just these 8 who are a risk the midweek game will go ahead, if that can't be proven the game is off.

Adherence to these protocols is being taken very seriously with several training sessions at grass roots level being monitored so I'm not surprised such a clear breech has resulted in Aberdeen FC effectively being told to sit down, shut up and wait till we've searched your locker.

Yeah it sucks for us but that's just the way it is at the moment. Don't see any point making an issue of who gets to play a weakened Aberdeen. If the midweek game can go ahead it should.

However once all those involved have recovered I can't see any issue with them being handed a lengthy ban, which would send out the right message but also conveniently ensure we are not at a disadvantage in terms of strength of side we play on the 20th.

Personally I think Saints/Hamilton/Celtic should have been given the points for their games... that sends out a strong message. It avoids having to worry about rearranged fixtures being fitted in to an already crammed programme.. hand on heart if Saints had been the perpetrators I would not complain at forfeiting the points. I don’t believe the Aberdeen players were naive, they Just thought they were above the rules. 

2 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Realistically there are more things in life to worry about than if we get to play a weakened Aberdeen side.

I suspect in the background the club will be pissed, but won't say anything in public because it so easily could be us (or any other team)...just takes one person to not follow guidelines etc.

This has got me thinking....at what point would the SPL call the season if the SG shut down football? At this early stage, you'd imagine they would just declare it null and void....but there must be a point where results will stand...half way through the season?...Clubs normally down the bottom better keep that in mind as unless players learn a lesson this is going to happen again.

Of course there are more important things to be worrying about but that isn’t the point, the point is and I realise I am saying this as a biased Saints fan ... yet another occasion where Saints have been disadvantaged imo.. but that’s fine! If we as Saints fans accept being crapped on why should anyone else care about us. I don’t expect to receive ‘special’ treatment but I do expect to be treated fairly. 

One hallmark of the SG approach is to be evidence-led. Sometimes, that means waiting for the evidence. Another has been a precautionary approach. I wouldn’t assume these games are going ahead. In fact, I wouldn’t assume any games are going ahead after today. If the Aberdeen outbreak goes national, this season will be over inside of a fortnight. That is the worst case scenario, but as several have pointed out in some excellent posts, St Nicola will close football down in a heartbeat if necessary.

If you’re desperate for sport this weekend, watch the UK government on the news “taking back control of our borders”. Feckin hilarious stuff.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Why aren't we?

As usual Sturgeon aiming at the general public. She is focusing all her efforts on covid which is fair enough but she has to also take heed of the other things that will effect her reelection like Education,Economy & the fans of the most popular supported sport in Scotland.

In overruling her sports minister along with allowing games against Hamilton & Celtic go ahead she is taking into account the biggest supported club in Scotland & it is not Hamilton.

St Johnstone have been treated badly in this whole affair. Of the thousands of words written & spoken on this affair the only time St Johnstone appears is the fact that Aberdeen were meant to play them today.

C,Mon Saints for once don't sit back & allow our team to be trampled all over.

33 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think Eric has got the wrong end of the stick. Yeah some were wanting the match forfeited but the main gripe is how the Hamilton & Celtic games are not postponed & Saints bend over & get shafted.

If the Aberdeen players hadn’t acted as they did then there would have been no government decision. It falls on the Aberdeen players. The game would’ve been played so no forfeit of points is fine. As you say, it’s the inconsistency that’s the issue.

4 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

O.k. End the season now.

Celtic* it is then,  on goal difference.:laugh:

Bears' Den on the case, no way should the Celtic game go ahead.  Favoured solution is postponement as that would put Sevco at least 3 points clear and put pressure on Celtic.  Some would favour three 3-0 defeats to Aberdeen on the basis that Celtic would probably have won by a bigger margin anyway as Aberdeen always lie down at Parkhead.  13 pages posted before they discovered that the 8 players involved are all first team squad.

6 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Spfl say they MAY take action against the Dons, feckin right they should, if that had been Saints we would have been hammered

May is the word. A small fine for players or club is the most they will do.

They should make Aberdeen play the rearranged game without the 8 players that were due to miss the first game. Steve Brown should be pushing for that rather than rolling over & getting his tummy rubbed.

7 hours ago, Cagey said:

I think Eric has got the wrong end of the stick. Yeah some were wanting the match forfeited but the main gripe is how the Hamilton & Celtic games are not postponed & Saints bend over & 

And now the pathetic corporate apology from the 8 culprits, what a pile of shite, Aberdeen just covering their arses, if they were serious would say give Saints the points regardless of Doncaster abd his shite  but really just Aberdeen looking after themselves and their delusional idea they are title challengers  fcuking bangers 

Edited by crieffsaintandy