St Johnstone v Aberdeen 08/08/20

tucker

Would it have been asking too much to have Saints mentioned in name in the apology. The playersĀ know fine well how much effort teams put in to prepare for a match. You could argue our players are rested for midweek but reallyĀ we now have to face Rangers having barely had any competitive game time since football started up again.

Now over 100 positive cases of covid19 in Aberdeen & rising. How can the Hamilton team & officials be expected to enter a virus ridden City. There is also the guys officiating at the game. No way the Scottish government can allow it.

Oh and plus Aberdeen players will not be out of Quarantine by Wednesday.

Edited by Cagey

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I assume purely for TV.Ā  Assume our. Saturday game will be put back to Sunday.

Ours was already on the Sunday for TV I think?

Having had it confirmed the reason the game has been put on Thursday is for TV so it doesnā€™t clash with the Champions League games, my slight annoyance is Sky have games kicking off at 6pm the midweek before so why not make it an early evening KO and that would mean it doesnā€™t clash.Ā 

The chances of the Aberdeen players being pitched straight in after effectively 14 days off, with no actual ball/team training is slim Iā€™d say, but guys like Hayes, Bryson, etc are experienced enough to know how to play football! Youā€™ve just got to hope that theyā€™ve all lost any match sharpness they had.Ā 

I don't understand why the SPFL didn't lay out, before the season had even started, what would happen in the event of a match having to be postponed due to players breaking the guidelines. Then everyone would have immediately known, with no complaints, whether or not the players get a fine, or the club gets a fine, or Saints get the points, or the match has to be re-scheduled, etc etc. Because they didn't do thatĀ it feels like they're just making things up as they go along, and as a result we're being treated inconsistently which is massively unfair.

I can reluctantly accept that Saturday's match had to be re-arranged for a later date instead of forfeited, but what I can't accept is that there's any justification in treating it differently from Aberdeen's matches against Hamilton and Celtic. Either all of them should have been postponed, or none of them should be.

Saints should really be making a fuss about what's happened here as it's totally unacceptable.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Aside from the football impact on Saints, it would be interesting to know how much this has cost the club financially. And Sky will be out of pocket too. I don't think it would be unreasonable for both to expect compensation from Aberdeen.

I get the SkyĀ comment but Iā€™m struggling to think of any outlay saints would have had (that wonā€™t carry forward to the 20th). Am IĀ missing something obvious?Ā 

12 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

I get the SkyĀ comment but Iā€™m struggling to think of any outlay saints would have had (that wonā€™t carry forward to the 20th). Am IĀ missing something obvious?Ā 

I take it there will still be behind the scene staff ... I would imagine cleaners, cooks etc, if they get paid by the shift then they may be out of pocket... whichever way you look at it Saints have been disadvantaged through no fault of their own and as someone already pointed out we are badly in need of game time! Iā€™m sure Callum would have preferred a full game before facing Sevco.. it just sucks ..Ā 

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I don't understand why the SPFL didn't lay out, before the season had even started, what would happen in the event of a match having to be postponed due to players breaking the guidelines. Then everyone would have immediately known, with no complaints, whether or not the players get a fine, or the club gets a fine, or Saints get the points, or the match has to be re-scheduled, etc etc. Because they didn't do thatĀ it feels like they're just making things up as they go along, and as a result we're being treated inconsistently which is massively unfair.

I can reluctantly accept that Saturday's match had to be re-arranged for a later date instead of forfeited, but what I can't accept is that there's any justification in treating it differently from Aberdeen's matches against Hamilton and Celtic. Either all of them should have been postponed, or none of them should be.

Saints should really be making a fuss about what's happened here as it's totally unacceptable.

I donā€™t think I have ever agreed with a post so completely... I canā€™t be the only Saints fan that Ā thinks an injustice has been done... I do believe Saints have not made a bigger deal of it because Steve Brown knows that ā€˜there but the graceā€™Ā etc ..no Chairman/Manager knows for sure if their squad are following the rules, however there is no excuse now. I think Saints should kick up the biggest stink ever, I donā€™t think this will be the last time it happens! COYSĀ 

19 hours ago, mainstand said:

I notice that it has been quoted as having been rearranged for Thursday 20 August which would be the day that the players in isolation could come out surely that would be too quick for any of them to play.Ā 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5905304/aberdeen-test-before-isolation-st-johnstone/Ā Nothing going our way at allĀ 

3 hours ago, Papa Jack said:

I'm going under the assumption that preppingĀ the stadium for a match-day, even in the current closed-doors circumstances, involves some level of cost, be it staffing or otherwise.

4 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

I donā€™t think I have ever agreed with a post so completely... I canā€™t be the only Saints fan that Ā thinks an injustice has been done... I do believe Saints have not made a bigger deal of it because Steve Brown knows that ā€˜there but the graceā€™Ā etc ..no Chairman/Manager knows for sure if their squad are following the rules, however there is no excuse now. I think Saints should kick up the biggest stink ever, I donā€™t think this will be the last time it happens! COYSĀ 

I agree with both posts and I think your"there but for the grace" etc point is spot on.Ā  I saw a report that the bold Leigh Griffiths broke a lot of rules last weekend by holding a surprise party for his partner but so far he has got away with it as no infections seem to have resulted.

I will find it absolutely incredible if the Hamilton and Celtic games are played as scheduled.Ā  The SPFL have not got the brains they were born with but Nicola is a puzzle.Ā  I can only assume, given her lack of interest in football, that she does not know about these games yet or perhaps she is giving the relevant minister the chance to avoid making a fool of himself.Ā  Surely she sees this is a potential Dominic Cummimgs banana skin.

It would appear that the SG and the SPFL have not got a clue, Saints denied a game on Saturday, but why let Accie's play them a few days later ? No punishment for Eberdeen for their lack of guidelines and procedure. F*cking useless, the lot of them.

Edited by GMac
Spelling

11 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Well if 8 have tested positive, Aberdeen cant play matches. That meas Sevco will have isolate.Ā 

Except they went out after the game and had negative tests before playing Rangers. Thereā€™s absolutely no need for Rangers to isolate, this is why the players get tested before every single game.Ā 

Seems a video conference was held today with SPFL. JRG & captains & managers. Outcome "harsh lesson has been learned by Aberdeen" .

Doesn't appear that our manager or captain raised the question why Saints game was cancelled & not the other 2. Disappointed if so.

16 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Seems a video conference was held today with SPFL. JRG & captains & managers. Outcome "harsh lesson has been learned by Aberdeen" .

Doesn't appear that our manager or captain raised the question why Saints game was cancelled & not the other 2. Disappointed if so.

Agree disappointing.

10 hours ago, Widge said:

Except they went out after the game and had negative tests before playing Rangers. Thereā€™s absolutely no need for Rangers to isolate, this is why the players get tested before every single game.Ā 

Yes there is. It can take up to 14 days for Covid to be identified. There is a cluster at the club. By law, anyone who may have been in close contact needs to quarantine. How do you think 8 players suddenly popped up? They get tested frequently. 14 days- maybe more for it to show. By law, sevco should be quarantined.Ā 

Edited by Melbourne Saint