St Johnstone v Aberdeen 08/08/20

tucker

1 minute ago, TheYellowBox said:

I understand it would be catastrophic, but if the rules continue to get breached, whatbother option could there be. The players are in a privileged position. If they cannot see that they need to put their careers before a few nights out, then they don't frankly deserve to be a professional footballer.

Agree on your point that clubs will need yo be punished. I wasnt for Aberdeen to start with, but a totally, when you see what a mess postponed games will cause, then something needs to be done. I cannot believe that no one at Celtic knew the player was away to Spain for 4 days. Maybe not management, but surely the other players must have known. Someone must have asked him what he was doing with his 4 days off.

Sturgeon pretty much said that shed expect the clubs to be punished, but not a chance in hell the SPFL are going to go anywhere near Cektic with anything other than a token fine.

Clubs need to sit down ASAP and agree the rules and punishments going forward or we will not see any football beyond this month. 

100% on the money. There has to be a huge deterent going forward and every player needs to know this.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Killie must be fuming, the game on Sunday has risked their players health. They played well for their point but surely this also counts as an ineligible player playing for Celtic.

An interesting point. I'm sure there is no guidance here, but what if he had come on and scored the winner? What's to say he didn't do enough to stop Killie winning the game?

If the Aberdeen players were/are deemed ineligible, then he must be too. Unless they are just assumed 'injured'? 

1 hour ago, Linky said:

The agreement should’ve been: point deduction for any team involved, player suspensions for any players involved (including fine)

Rather than a point deduction, I'd award full points to the inconvenienced clubs. Otherwise you still have the problem of creating a massive fixture backlog. Saints shouldn't have to play Aberdeen on a rescheduled date: we should just have the three points. If Aberdeen's game against Celtic has to be called off, it should be recorded on the league table as a defeat for both of them.

Fakes The Covid threat causing the game to be postponed is a serious breach of the rules.

When/if the game is eventually played, I doubt if it will be on Sky t.v.

Also, some other team will benefit from Considine's suspension, instead of Saints.

Sure a similar suspension situation occurred in recent times, (nothing Covid related) where Saints were disadvantaged. 

Just award the 3 points to Saints to send out a clear message that breaking the rules will Not be tolerated. 

Dons next opponents,  who are affected by their blatant disregard, should also get 3 points.

Teams should also be compensated  by Aberdeen for any loss of revenue they suffer.

A monetary penalty by the SPFL is not the answer.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Wasn’t there a separate thread on this issue in general - was it shut down? This isn’t really much to do with one game anymore. 

There was a separate thread, yes, but it was merged into this one because at the time it was replicating the same discussion that was already happening on this thread.

1 minute ago, HOODLUM65 said:

So,   take it Dons will be at full strength when they next play, with the exception of any suspensions  

The 8 isolated players will have had 1 days training at best before they play saints and the replacements will have had no competitive games, so whilst they technically can play their strongest team, they're still at a disadvantage I'd say. Not that saints are going to have much more game time given the lack of pre-season games played. 

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

100% on the money. There has to be a huge deterent going forward and every player needs to know this.

There is the point though that any journalist worth their salt will have found other player breaches by the end of the day. It is inconceivable that they arn’t out there to be found. Which raises the interesting dilemma - do you want to be the journo/newspaper that ends football?

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Fakes The Covid threat causing the game to be postponed is a serious breach of the rules.

When/if the game is eventually played, I doubt if it will be on Sky t.v.

Also, some other team will benefit from Considine's suspension, instead of Saints.

Sure a similar suspension situation occurred in recent times, (nothing Covid related) where Saints were disadvantaged. 

Just award the 3 points to Saints to send out a clear message that breaking the rules will Not be tolerated. 

Dons next opponents,  who are affected by their blatant disregard, should also get 3 points.

Teams should also be compensated  by Aberdeen for any loss of revenue they suffer.

A monetary penalty by the SPFL is not the answer.

Point well made Brother.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Rather than a point deduction, I'd award full points to the inconvenienced clubs. Otherwise you still have the problem of creating a massive fixture backlog. Saints shouldn't have to play Aberdeen on a rescheduled date: we should just have the three points. If Aberdeen's game against Celtic has to be called off, it should be recorded on the league table as a defeat for both of them.

Yes, although if the games aren’t played then the clubs lose out financially. Why should Saints be hit in the pocket due to Aberdeen’s stupidity? Could there be a situation where they have to field a youth team instead?

So consadne now out of the saints game as aberdeen's next 2 matches off. 

Celtics nest 2 also off. 

Now if there is a real fear that bolingola could have been carrying the virus then surely the Celtic team and management all have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks as do the Kilmarnock players.

We now appearing to be calling games off at the bequest of the SG without any real rhyme nor reason.

Surely the spfl now have to come out with a set of rules and penalties now. 

56 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

There is the point though that any journalist worth their salt will have found other player breaches by the end of the day. It is inconceivable that they arn’t out there to be found. Which raises the interesting dilemma - do you want to be the journo/newspaper that ends football?

Rangers fans now going on that Celtic have internal enquiries in respect of 3 other players who may have broken rules at some point. 

They are also going on about Bolingoli playing when being being ineligible:eek: people in glasshouses they fielded 8 untested players in a friendly.

15 minutes ago, mainstand said:

So consadne now out of the saints game as aberdeen's next 2 matches off. 

Celtics nest 2 also off. 

Now if there is a real fear that bolingola could have been carrying the virus then surely the Celtic team and management all have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks as do the Kilmarnock players.

We now appearing to be calling games off at the bequest of the SG without any real rhyme nor reason.

Surely the spfl now have to come out with a set of rules and penalties now. 

This is exactly my point MS. If there was a serious penalty for offenders it would really make teams sit up and pay attention.

Can you imagine Celtic being docked points - ( games against Killie, St.Mirren and Aberdeen ) for this indescretion?

SFA should act now and show some backbone and leadership. 

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Well this is utter nonsense. You're expecting clubs at all level in Scotland to simply close down for 6 months whilst paying wages with no income. You'd be lucky to have 5/6 teams left at that rate, saints included!

The processes in place work, they're the same as in every other country which have managed this without failure. The only reason this is so stop start and truncated is because for some reason Scottish footballers haven't been as professional as other leagues. Given this is a final warning, I'd like to think that every single player and staff member now realises that they're jobs and livelihood are at stake if even one of them is out of line.

To null and void a season 2 games in and abandon the league for 6 months would be frankly ridiculous. 

So we carry on the way we are going with games cancelled at the last minute because a doorman or physio or anyone remotely connected to a club tests positive.

So we struggle through to half way through the season with clubs losing £thousands on testing & wasted arrangements for games & the virus closes the season with Rangers ahead  on goal difference. Rangers will demand the league to stop 10 in a row.

There are a lot of banana skins along the way.

I am beginning to agree with Hearts that SPFL are not fit for purpose. That should have set out rules to cover most eventually.

And are we surprised by anything that has happened. Not at all. How the SPFL couldnt see this happening is beyond me. The naivety in thinking it would be plain sailing and that there doesnt appear to be a plan in place seems ridiculous.